Here is the last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-26.html
Old 03-14-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Anna
Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A friend told me she 'is going easy' on the booze. And I could see her looking at me hesitantly.
I said, yeah me too, haven't drank in a month.

We were both relieved with each other's reactions. Funny how you think everyone else is having so much fun drinking. Not true at all.
Just look at all the good people here trying to feel better.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I am laying in bed and couldn't sleep. I didn't think I had alot of caffeine today.. Hmm!! You think 4 cups of coffee and one can of red bull alot? Or maybe I am just happy and dreading to go downtown tomorrow. Alot of events are happening there. Crowds fright me really does. 15000 ppl going to one event and top of that cheer competitions and st patty stuff.. Yikes
Anyways I guess I can count how many sheeps and maybe ill fall a sleep.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Guys
Old 03-15-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning. Good luck Jen. The older I get the less I like crowds - I like the events, but traffic (foot or car) really gets to me.

I am feeling good. Nothing major to report. No cravings (other than ice cream), AV is quiet. Must stay vigilant.

Snow is in the forecast but winter is definitely ending. We had a ton of rain yesterday and a lot of snow is gone already. The biggest issue now is the potholes. I couldn't believe how bad the roads were yesterday.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jen, hopefully you got some rest. I'm finding my sleep to actually be very good. I often used alcohol to drink until I passed out since I struggle falling asleep. This go around, I've been repeating to myself that the worst that can happen if I don't fall asleep is that I'll be really tired the next day. That's a heck of a lot better than really hungover.

My first two weeks sober, the sleep was really thought as I'd used alcohol as a crutch at least twice a week, but usually 3 or 4 times.

Anyway, I'm on Day 25 now. 25 seems like a lot, but I know it's not and I know I need to still keep it day by day since I'm still not all that confident in my sobriety. Just trying to pick up some little skill or insight everyday.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mets I was thinking of you yesterday. I was 29 the first time I seriously quit - I just didn't want to go into my 30s drunk. I was part of a party crowd, lots of sporting events (those go hand in hand with alcohol), did a lot of skiing, traveling, and lots of hanging out at bars. I drank club soda with lime always. I remember being extremely self conscious about it at first, but very few people said anything to me. Some did, and I was just evasive (one thing being an alcoholic provides you with is a certain level of deviousness) and before long, no one did, and it was just the new normal and it was not hard after a while. I was sober for 6 years and they were awesome years.

I wish I had stayed quit, but it didn't happen for reasons that surprisingly, didn't include that I wanted to be drunk. But eventually, that was what happened of course.

These things take time to become habit. And vigilance no matter how comfortable you become. You can do it.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

nymets86, I drank often to go to sleep. It's bad sleep though. So I'd pass out and wake up - surprise - tired! When I quit the last few times I was having trouble sleeping and eventually could sleep. To my surprise this time I only had like 5 days of sleep problems. The main reason was I was withdrawing.

After that, things have been good. The main difference for me in this quit and the last quits is I quit drinking soda pop about 1.5 months before I quit drinks. Even quitting my daily 2 bottles of pop a day and more at night was hard. I had a trigger at 2pm at work to drink pop. I know you don't like tea, but I tried it - hate the lipton stuff. So the flavored teas, a lot have no caffeine. I think basically eliminating caffeine also helped with sleep.

Jen you said "You think 4 cups of coffee and one can of red bull alot?" I would say for me, yes. That would keep me up all night long !! I hope you got to sleep sooner than later.

ReadyOrNot123- My first big quit was in 2008 when I was like 29 as well. I quit for I think 8ish months? I guess that's not too big because it wasn't a year. I white knuckled it knowing I'd drink again around my wedding time. While I found some good in it, I knew I'd drink again so I didn't work on getting used to it. I drank lots of mountain dew, didn't do any recovery anything and just beared down. I did lose a lot of weight and do some running.

I used to go on SoberRecovery years ago and I posted in my 20s and so many people said quit now, you won't regret it. Now I'm 36, wish I had listened. I don't remember my username from then.

Have a sober Sunday everyone!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I have finally went to sleep, we have popcorn ceilings so I counted the bumps and I feel a sleep. lol!! I just woke about 30 minutes ago got something to eat for breakfast. Give me some luck today when I go downtown today, I need as much I can.

Have a wonderful day and I will come back and let you know how it went.

Mets- awesome job on your 25 days.... Whoop Whoop
Ready- yes traffic drives me insane and trying to fine parking.. Urgh!!
Torn - Yea I think that was a lot of coffee stuff. Maybe I need to drink decaf after is 2 pm and see if I can sleep.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

HI soberwolf, how is it going!! wink wink
Old 03-15-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyOrNot123 View Post
Mets I was thinking of you yesterday. I was 29 the first time I seriously quit - I just didn't want to go into my 30s drunk. I was part of a party crowd, lots of sporting events (those go hand in hand with alcohol), did a lot of skiing, traveling, and lots of hanging out at bars. I drank club soda with lime always. I remember being extremely self conscious about it at first, but very few people said anything to me. Some did, and I was just evasive (one thing being an alcoholic provides you with is a certain level of deviousness) and before long, no one did, and it was just the new normal and it was not hard after a while. I was sober for 6 years and they were awesome years.

I wish I had stayed quit, but it didn't happen for reasons that surprisingly, didn't include that I wanted to be drunk. But eventually, that was what happened of course.

These things take time to become habit. And vigilance no matter how comfortable you become. You can do it.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! And sorry that you weren't able to stay quit. I do realize that at 29, I have a LONG time to stay quit and that I need to really spend a lot of time thinking about it and game planning. When I tried last June, I was not posting daily after about 10 days. I've now been posting daily for 25 days and am planning to keep on doing this while I sort things out.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi guys!

Day 26 for me. I've been keeping myself really busy and .. well .. exhausted. A little nervous with St Pats coming up but so far so good.

Someone at work said that they don't trust anyone that won't drink with them. I wanted so badly to say "So what you're saying is that you're a jerk?". How would you respond!? I didn't say anything but it really changed my opinion of him. I don't care if people don't trust me because I won't go out drinking with them. If that's how you base your trust, honestly that's just not someone I want to know.

Glad to see everyone still checking in. Happy Sunday.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

60, I think I've probably used that exact same quote! Not sure how seriously that person mentioned it. I work in sales for a financial services firm and we rely on intermediaries (brokers) to reach the end customer. Since I work with middlemen on a regular basis, I often feel that I only want to work with people that "I'd have a beer with." I could just as easily change that to "have lunch" with or "go to a ballgame with." Point being that I know plenty of people in the financial services space and plenty of middlemen are just backstabbers that I don't want to associate with. I feel like I'll waste loads of times on sales calls at these people's offices and get nothing out of it.

I think it's very possible this person was just using it as a figure of speech. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great week ahead guys
Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks sober wolf.

Watching the NCAA selection show tonight had my AC screaming. It's something I've loved watching for pretty much as long as I can remember. Even in high school, I remember getting really drunk one year watching. Now, despite some bad blackouts during the tournament, I think my AV is trying to tell me I need to be drunk to add excitement to it. Ugh. Gotta really game plan for this week. Wrapping up Day 25 now and dont want to jeopardize my sobriety.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm just gonna jump in here guys - I'll be back up to speed soon
hope everyone is going well

D
Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

if watching it is triggering you nymets try varying your routine...tape it and watch it later when you feel stronger, or do something while you're watching it...exercise bike or something, hobbies...housecleaning...just break those associations a little?

D
Old 03-16-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Bit cross as I drunk a glass of wine last night. A friend popped round full of woe and with a bottle of wine. Bottle open and a glass drunk before the penny dropped.

I stopped at that point, didn't really enjoy it and wasn't drunk or even buzzy. It hadn't made me want to drink - if anything it has brought home I don't want it or need it.

But no excuses, I'm back to day 1 :-(
Old 03-16-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

3 weeks today

Sorry to hear about your slip Espree. Don't get mad - dust yourself off and try again.

I was watching Matthew Perry on a youtube clip talking with Peter Hitchens about addiction. Perry says "I am in control of that first drink, after that all bets are off". Words to live by.

I had a productive weekend in terms of painting the kitchen walls. I am still working on it. I am finding the days long but am keeping busy. This is March break here so we don't have any play rehearsals - but I hope to have my lines memorized by the time we start again. I don't have a social life yet and am feeling lonely. I've been spending a lot of time here on SR just reading.

My blood pressure is down. Last night was 133/82 heart rate 65 bpm. This morning 120/75 heart rate 64 bpm. That's pretty good for 3 weeks, considering I was around 145 to 155 over 90-95. Anxiety has lessened and for that I am grateful.