Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 45

Old 04-03-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies)

It's been a while since I was here. Been lurking around SR today and felt a pinch of nostalgia for the times when I used to be an "Undie".

I am still sober (almost 2.5 years by now), still kicking...Though struggling a lot right now - stuck at home sick, bloodwork revealed anemia and low immunity, so very slow recovery after chicken pox I got.

Anyway, glad to be sober - at least I can cope with my issues one baby step at a time.

Have a great weekend, all!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello unders
Old 04-03-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good for you Wayward!

When I realized the dark side of the once lovely, colorful, precious and delicious elixir was killing me, it had no power over me anymore.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Midnight!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi undies
I will have to catch up on posts later but wanted to check in

Have a great day everyone
Old 04-03-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

MB - Hi, good to see you! The undies have been a major source of comfort and healing for me too.

(((Gilmer))) - I peeked over at the March thread to read about what happened with your dad. Remember, you didn't cause your dad's health issues and as far as I can see you do an amazing job of caring for him. You provide him a safe and loving home, good medical care and nutritious meals. Snapping at someone isn't going to make their disease progress or flare up. I hope you can let go of the guilt and find peace. You deserve it. An important lesson that I'm learning in sobriety is to take good care of myself, and to intuitively sense the balance between care and over indulgence.

This journey through recovery is pretty amazing. I had a cool epiphany this morning: I could let my stress or concern over some aspects of my life diffuse into my whole day, or I could compartmentalize it, save thinking about it til I have time to focus on it, and enjoy the rest of my day. I am choosing to enjoy my day!

I keep coming back to this thread because it deeply inspired on many of the steps of my journey, especially the support and camaraderie of Dee, Toots, Courage, DottieP, Drake, DG, Elseware, Gilmer, BoozeFree, LS, Saskia, many who have come and gone....and Carlos, who's celebrating 22 months sober today!

Carlos - I'm grateful to share this journey of growth and healing with you. I admire your positive, energetic, open, honest, and humble approach to recovery. You make the big concepts so easy for me to understand, which allows me to put them to practice instead of keeping them stuck in my head. Ours is a program of action!

I hope I didn't forget to mention anybody. If I did, it's completely accidental. To the folks who are new to recovery, I want to encourage you to keep visiting SR, keep posting, keep sharing - and keep an open mind. See, I thought I had it all figured out. When I humbled myself to admit that I didn't, that's where my perspective began to change from lacking and never having enough to peace and abundance.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Carlos, many congrats on 22 months sober! Love your attitude - it will take you far :-).
Old 04-03-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Carlos
Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

way to go WWD---life is good.
Have a great Easter everyone!!!
hugs to all of you
Babs
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks Drake and Babs. I do have a totally new realization about booze now. It is a very good thing!!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Carlos, great job on 22 months, that's fantastic! Enjoy watching the Final Four this weekend. I'm rooting for Duke and Wisconsin tonight, I know you're rooting for the opposite, but know we'll both enjoy it more while sober and if one of us wins some money in the pools, that's just icing on the cake.

About to hop on my flight to Indianapolis now. So nice saving money by taking the 6AM flight rather than my usual booking of a noon flight since I could never really guarantee that I wouldn't sleep through a 3:30AM alarm and get myself to the airport by 5:15AM. Today I woke up with ease, though admittedly a bit tired. So amped up for the games tonight that after 5 minutes, I felt 100% alert and ready for the day. Also able to take public transit to the airport here and save $25 on a taxi. If I'd been hungover, would have just done the taxi.

At 45 days sober, I've noticed how much money I'm saving from things other than strictly the alcohol. My financial situation has always been fine, but it never hurts to save up even more, especially since in my 30s I'd like to find a significant other and start a family.

Just a list of things I've saved on to help remind me why staying sober is good. Will reference this if I really start thinking I can drink safely again.
-Have gotten home delivery for dinner three in the last 6 weeks. When drinking home alone two or three nights a week, I'd always get delivery and spend like $30-$35. Similarly, would order delivery when hangover.
-Grocery bill has gone down since I'm not buying chasers all the time. Just drinking homemade sparkling water.
-restaurant tabs way down as I've been drinking water when going out
-haven't needed needed Tums. My heartburn medication works on its own without tums when not boozing.
-haven't needed pain relievers
-haven't needed eye drops
-gone through a lot less toilet paper
-don't feel I'm wasting my gym membership as in the last 2 weeks, I've gone twice as much than when I was drinking since I have no hangovers
-haven't once taken a taxi, just used my unlimited use metrocard (paid for by company for commuting purposes), essentially making transportation fees around the city. I've fallen asleep on subways and gotten hospitalized and when drunk, would always take cabs.

All said and done, probably saving about $100-$150 a week. That adds up fast! Will already make up for the hospital bill from February. That feb hospital visit yet another reminder why I can't drink
Old 04-04-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning Unders have a nice saturday everyone
Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good morning. I have been sober for 10 weeks now. I feel good about that. Have a good weekend everyone.

nymets I have noticed my spending has dropped dramatically and my bank account is bigger since being sober too.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Mets, I think it's really healthy the way you notice and focus on the many, many benefits of not drinking! That was one of the things that got me through the early months. I also had a big goal of moving to a specific retirement community. Had I continued my drinking, that wouldn't have been worthwhile or even possible.

Wayward, congrats on 10 weeks!
The early months can be so hard! There are different challenges later, especially if we stop thinking about all that we gain by not drinking. Awareness is so crucial!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

CARLOS!!! Congratulations on 22 months!

Congratulations to you, too, Waywardson, on 10 weeks!

Great to see you, MB!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 weeks Wayward!

Congrats on 22 Carlos!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Wayward congrats on 10 weeks!

NYM great list of positive changes! Have a safe flight!

Carlos congrats on 22 months!

I woke up really wanting to drink this morning. I'm not sure exactly why. I think part of it due to feeling stressed and wanting to give up. I thought I would post here about it and see if that helps. I can't imagine throwing 9 sober months away. I wish these cravings would go away.

Off to womp
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats WWS
Old 04-04-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
I woke up really wanting to drink this morning. I'm not sure exactly why. I think part of it due to feeling stressed and wanting to give up. I thought I would post here about it and see if that helps. I can't imagine throwing 9 sober months away. I wish these cravings would go away.

Off to womp
BF, yeah, I get that! There are times that I want to "escape" and for me those are the risky times. I suspect that each of us has our own triggers. I believe that the more times we don't give in when that happens, the less likely we will become to think of a drink as the first and foremost solution. It's a process! You are doing so well. Naturally we all hope we will no longer be tempted. That might happen for some but I doubt I will be one of them.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

BF I hate those triggers that make us think of drinking----like Sass said--if we don't give in ---those triggers just might get less---or maybe not as often. and it's true ---I just have to tell myself that by giving in I'm going to be right back where I started and I sure don't want that. I like how I feel right now and I want to stay that way.
thanks for being here you guys----hugs to all of you.
Babs