Notices

Class of October 2014

Old 10-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Back to day 6. I'll be back to a week tomorrow.

One day at a time. God is helping me to not drink this time.

Funny how God comes to some men...I think he quite literally came to me last Thursday (When i blacked out and awoke incoherent in the hospital.)

I haven't WANTED to drink since...In the past i've stayed sober out of Fear.

This time i'm asking for Gods help each day.

Something feels different. I don't quite know what it is. But i'm going with it.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Wow lots of new members, welcome everyone! There is strength in numbers! Let's do this!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Plugging right along on day 9 here. Few things I've noticed. I feel thinner lighter on my feet than usual. Less bloat I'm sure. My appetite is crazy although I don't seem to be gaining any weight. Anyone else experiencing this? Energy levels are way up as well as motivation. Some big pluses!

One thing I thought of this morning is that it seems the more sober time we have under our belts the more we regret returning to the bottle. We beat ourselves up even harder mentally. Don't do it! Stay the course! I'm keeping this in mind today.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Thanks Arbor8, that is just the reminder I needed today. I made it to 17 days and now I am just flailing around. I will not drink today. Stay the course, folks.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hello classmates. Yes, stay the course. Who wants to have to start all over .... again???

Not me. I am on Day 9 and feel really good. Last time I made Day 9 and failed on Day 10, but not this time. I really, really, really, don't want to have to start this all over and I noticed the more I get away from alcohol, the less I think about it. The more I am used to doing other things in the evening than drinking, the more I am inclined to do those things. (Not to mention, I am getting a lot more done without spending an evening drinking and the next day so hungover that I don't feel like doing anything. What a waste).

That being said, I try to maintain balance here and not get overly stressed. When I start to feel stressed I remind myself that Rome was not built in a day and slow down and there is always tomorrow.

We can do this! One day at a time everyone. Welcome to all the newcomers, so glad we are all doing this together!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 2 done. Here goes day 3.
Thanks SR and class of Oct14 for your inspirational posts.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hi dontlookbacchus. (That my friend is a freaking WICKED username!)

Seriously well done! On...

A) On the two days of sober time
B) Having one of my favorite usernames on SR!

Keep going with the days. You feel better bit by bit. I know from experience.

Do whatever you need to stay away from drink. You have my support
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, it's good to see so many October-ies here lol. I'm one of them

While I don't have many 24 hours sober yet, I do have years of experience in trying to escape the trap, so even though I feel reluctant to post on here yet I feel I must at least share my experience in the event it may help even one other person escape this awful prison.

First off, I tried "giving it up" so many times over the past 15 years that I lost count. As a result I no longer consciously focus on "it's Day 6" or whatever stage I happen to be at. I now see myself as free and there is no looking back.

I believe I already mentioned in my first post that I'm using a combination of AA meetings and the Allen Carr method to quit, and while AA meetings help somewhat at this point they are by no means the solution to my problem. The reason? Simply put that AA made me feel incurable from the first day I walked in the rooms. I was told simply by oldtimers that if I didn't get to regular meetings and get a sponsor I would be drinking again in short time - and they were right. Of course this sent me into a guilt spiral once I cracked under the pressure of trying to do it on willpower, which always sent me into another year long binge of hell.

Fast forward to today, and I still attend a few AA meetings a week, but what has changed is that I no longer have the desire or urge to pick up a drink - period. I still enjoy the social aspect of meetings, I love the genuine support and good feelings I get in those rooms, the many different stories about other members' struggles. But for someone just trying to quit and thinking about a drink constantly (like I read about in here) I would think something more is required, especially during early days. I never did get a sponsor simply because I was comfortable discussing very personal details of my life (that's why I love SR), AND because I knew damn well that when the time came that the little monster in my head wanted a drink bad enough, I would not call anyone for help. The booze just became far too precious at those times and it was all I felt I had. I would lie and do whatever it took to protect that next drink.

I often think about how lucky I was that day I started searching for other solutions online and stumbled upon Allen Carr (oddly enough I found his Stop Smoking book first lol). I thought what the hell I've read so much on addiction another book won't hurt. I even got the audiobook for free through Audible...signed up with my cc and you get 1 free book, then I just cancelled the service. This book stands a lot of what we think we know about alcohol on it's head, and I won't lie to you, it will be the cause of many heated debates and/or arguments with those using other programs, but the bottom line for me is IT WORKED. I know many others on here have had success with this, and I would urge anyone who is sitting around (especially at home alone) counting the days they have been sober and white-knuckling it to just give it a try. Even if looked at as a supplement to another program, you have nothing to lose.

I still have a morning routine that supports my plan. I make a cup of coffee, do some readings, and get on with my now productive day. I'm getting more done than ever, taking care of things that seemed so minor when I was drunk, but minor things add up and can drag your life down if left undone.

I do want to say that as I gain more sobriety and my head clears a bit, I will be seeking out the reasons why I drank in the first place, what is the void that causes that, and for that I believe that AA's 12 Step program has value. But as someone who tried to quit and just go to meetings early on, this simply isn't enough for me to get through the days. Willpower doesn't work for me with alcohol, feeling deprived and mourning the loss of having a drink, thinking about all those other "lucky normal drinkers" was just too much for me and in short time I was drunk again. You can't have a sponsor sitting with you 24-7 to stop you from making a decision that only you can control. I know my alcoholic brain, and it is far more cunning than the most clever sponsor, believe me.

Anyways sorry for such a long post, I prob should have started a new thread, but like everyone here I'm a new October student so I wish everyone well. I'd be happy to share with anyone who wants to know more about how I'm sober today. And thank you for being here for me
Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Thanks FindingTheWay.
Same goes for you too, my friend.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Drywhistle, I've read the Alan Carr book about quitting smoking and it helped me, he has a way of almost brainwashing you into stopping for lack of a better word. But he really drives it home about how silly it is to be addicted.
I'm considering going to an AA meeting this weekend. I quit 4 years ago for about 3 months and I was using AA when I did it..... I got hung up on the 4th step, relapsed, rationalized myself into believing I could control it and aside from a few brief periods of abstinence I've been drinking excessively since. I'm still not convinced if it's right for me but I liked being around other sober people so I'm willing to give it another shot.
I see you're from Canada too! Are you also starting to have some anxiety about this coming Thanksgiving weekend? I'm hosting a big family dinner and I've never cooked a turkey sober!! I'm usually wazooed by dinner time. Kinda wishing that I hadn't agreed to host because if I was going to someone else's I'd have the excuse of having to drive........
Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Drywhistle, I've read the Alan Carr book about quitting smoking and it helped me, he has a way of almost brainwashing you into stopping for lack of a better word. But he really drives it home about how silly it is to be addicted.
Hi zen, I believe Carr refers to it as "counter-brainwashing" as we have been conditioned how we should look at alcohol since we were kids. Brainwashing, hypnosis, whatever it is all I know is it has removed my thoughts about drinking and I'm running with what works lol

Yes, I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend
No, I'm not thinking about or worrying about wanting a drink
I will have my kids over for the weekend and the only reason that's possible is because I'm not drinking today or tomorrow. I really don't dwell on it much, I genuinely feel free.

I do occasionally think "what if it doesn't last?". I have lots of what ifs throughout the day, but then I switch to thinking about how good I feel sober and it seems to go away. Not perfect but it's a far cry from where I was just a short time ago.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving dinner with your family. Put the alcoholic thoughts where they belong - out of your mind.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Hey everyone.
So I didn't drink yesterday, which is good... because then I was able to see the blood moon eclipse (and all the millions of stars that were visible) very early this morning. And sober, with a clear head. That's actually one of the reasons why I was able to stop myself from drinking last night (and DAMN was I close! Many many times...) So this means I am just starting day 4.

I think I'll look into Allen Carr. It sounds familiar - I think I may have briefly read some of his stuff in the past. I get the feeling I thought it was stupid? But I could be wrong.... plus, I need all the help I can get...so will definitely be looking into it.

I wish everyone a sober day today. Myself included, haha (that was a very nervous laugh - I am very very worried about today!!!)

Stay strong everyone.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I'm considering going to an AA meeting this weekend. I quit 4 years ago for about 3 months and I was using AA when I did it..... I got hung up on the 4th step, relapsed, rationalized myself into believing I could control it and aside from a few brief periods of abstinence I've been drinking excessively since. I'm still not convinced if it's right for me but I liked being around other sober people so I'm willing to give it another shot.
Sorry I forgot to congratulate you on taking this step again. Like you, meeting do help me in some ways and it's certainly better than trying to just cold turkey it on your own. Being here at SR helps a lot too!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
Hey everyone.
So I didn't drink yesterday, which is good... because then I was able to see the blood moon eclipse (and all the millions of stars that were visible) very early this morning. And sober, with a clear head. That's actually one of the reasons why I was able to stop myself from drinking last night (and DAMN was I close! Many many times...) So this means I am just starting day 4.

I think I'll look into Allen Carr. It sounds familiar - I think I may have briefly read some of his stuff in the past. I get the feeling I thought it was stupid? But I could be wrong.... plus, I need all the help I can get...so will definitely be looking into it.

I wish everyone a sober day today. Myself included, haha (that was a very nervous laugh - I am very very worried about today!!!)

Stay strong everyone.
Lucrezia, I'm worried for you too and hope very much you reach for help before taking that first drink. I have been there so many times, and the fantasy I created in my head about how good it will be to take that drink just never comes to be. I always end up sick the next day, feeling gut-wrenching guilt and remorse, depressed, weak, etc, etc...

Do you attend AA meetings? If I felt that overpowering need for a drink and I could make it in time (doesn't usually work out that way) I'd get into a meeting, just to help stay sober for even that one day. Sometimes what you hear another person say in a meeting can have a dramatic effect on your way of thinking right at that moment.

I wish I had the words to make it easier for you but I know I don't. I have been where you are many many times and nothing anyone could say to me would seem to help. Sometimes the amount of time between thinking about a drink and getting to the store to get it was a matter of minutes. Ultimately in the end I believe we need to master our own thoughts and impulses, which is why it seems so damn hard.

I also believe focusing so much on what Day we are on does nothing to help this feeling of being deprived...I do think it's important to reflect on our success and progress, but quantifying it makes me feel like at any moment I'm going to fall off a cliff and start drinking again - your thoughts are a reflection of that very thing. The biggest problem I have with the "one day at a time" slogan used by many is that you are faced with taking it one day at a time for the rest of your life...that's a lot of days for me (hopefully lol). For me, willpower just could never cut it. I needed something a bit more realistic.

It recalls a similar experience I had some years ago that had nothing to do with alcohol. I once followed the weight watchers points program for a few months when I was trying to drop 20 pounds before shipping off to military basic training. My wife at the time had great success with it so I thought I'd try. Anyone here who has done this knows how deprived and hungry you get doing this, especially when exercising a lot. I remember thinking about food so much during that time, I was always missing that yummy dessert or the cream in my coffee, it was hell. No way I could do that for the rest of my life, rather now I eat a balanced healthy diet (mostly) and don't have to think about it constantly. This concept for me relates to how I viewed Allen Carr's theories about alcohol.

Whatever way works for you, I hope you find it really soon because that first drink can happen quickly. We are all here for you if you need to talk.
Just think, you can genuinely enjoy the night sky not just tonight or tomorrow, but for the rest of your life if you can put alcohol away for good and see it for the crap it really is.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Lucrezia I considered setting my alarm earlier so I could see the eclipse but it was raining here at that time so I didn't bother... too bad because I would of liked to see it. Good for you for not drinking yesterday.

Drywhistle, you're right I shouldn't focus or stress out about not drinking on Thanksgiving but rather look at it as an opportunity to actually enjoy a holiday with a clear head. The truth is that I'm usually alone in getting smashed, everyone else will be driving so they won't be drinking much anyway. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Onto Day 3.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I relapsed over the weekend and now feeling a bit of shame to come back to SR and reset the counter
my new sobriety date is on my profile, whoever wants to check it, go have a look
Lets get back on the sober bus!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Where's the counter? I only have the app on my phone
Old 10-08-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Where's the counter? I only have the app on my phone
There's a SR app? lol
did not know that
Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I dont think there is a counter in the site, but theres a field on your profile where you put your sobriety date, I should check that app