Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Loving the posts today! Thanks for all the well wishes today! will check in tonight. Have a great day/night everyone!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your encouragement and support. I am glad I came back too.
I am worried about this weekend, very worried. I have a party I have to go to tomorrow night that I cannot get out of. I will be the only one not drinking. I wish I didn't have to go. I need to have a plan for this weekend to not cave. I really want to beat this and I really want a life without alcohol. I know life can be so much better.

Anyway, I think I will offer to be the designated driver. Or, figure out a way I can leave early.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Scooter my first three to four days felt like hangovers but now I feel ok in the mornings
Thanks, knb02. Today is Day 14 for me, and I had seven other AF days earlier in the month. I never got the hangover feeling in the morning, but I did have many drinking dreams , and dreams where I walked into a bar to get a beer to find I had no money with me, things like that. Those seem to have subsided in the past few days.

Today it is definitely my allergies starting up - - itchy eyes, mild headache, aware of sinus pressure, etc. But this beats a hangover any day.

The longest I have been sober in the past 25 years is 56 days; I have had many periods of 4, 5, 6 days.

I was hoping the weight I have to lose would melt off, but I have been taking the advice of using ice cream to freeze out my AV. My face seems a bit less bloated. Does anyone know how long it takes, in general, for the big bloat to go down? My stomach and face are my problem areas.
thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hello guys, hope you don't mind me joining this thread, I'm just 2 days sober and really giving it everything this time, things are really hitting a new low for me and it's time for positive action and I'm sure supporting each other will help us even further. How have you guys been doing and what has helped you so far?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Thanks, knb02. Today is Day 14 for me, and I had seven other AF days earlier in the month. I never got the hangover feeling in the morning, but I did have many drinking dreams , and dreams where I walked into a bar to get a beer to find I had no money with me, things like that. Those seem to have subsided in the past few days.

Today it is definitely my allergies starting up - - itchy eyes, mild headache, aware of sinus pressure, etc. But this beats a hangover any day.

The longest I have been sober in the past 25 years is 56 days; I have had many periods of 4, 5, 6 days.

I was hoping the weight I have to lose would melt off, but I have been taking the advice of using ice cream to freeze out my AV. My face seems a bit less bloated. Does anyone know how long it takes, in general, for the big bloat to go down? My stomach and face are my problem areas.
thanks
I am 9 days in and my bloating is completely gone. But I have also been on a calorie controlled diet most days as well as running. Do you think you are eating a lot of icecream?

I just had a tomato juice with Tabasco sauce. It really filled me up and it's very low calorie
Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
Hello guys, hope you don't mind me joining this thread, I'm just 2 days sober and really giving it everything this time, things are really hitting a new low for me and it's time for positive action and I'm sure supporting each other will help us even further. How have you guys been doing and what has helped you so far?
Well done for your two days. I would suggest posting on this thread and avoiding any triggers as much as you can. I. E don't hi to bars or parties if you can avoid it.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Welcome brach. I am new too - just day one here. I agree that supporting each other is key. Stay close to this thread this weekend.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avra View Post
I am worried about this weekend, very worried. I have a party I have to go to tomorrow night that I cannot get out of. I will be the only one not drinking. I wish I didn't have to go. I need to have a plan for this weekend to not cave. I really want to beat this and I really want a life without alcohol. I know life can be so much better.

Anyway, I think I will offer to be the designated driver. Or, figure out a way I can leave early.
Avira j Do what ever you can to make your sobriety a priority. Being the driver is a great idea.

I am also out tomorrow night with a drinking buddy. We are listening to a Lionel Richie tribute and I know I will be surrounded by many drunk people throughout the night, including my friend who will be plastered. But I am determined to stay sober.

My plan is to go running Sunday mornings. Always use to envy the fit people who ran in the mornings. I was far too hungover and depressed to do anything about it. So years later.....I plan to run Sunday morning. And so I shall!! Squash that AV
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Ee I am definitely a morning person now. . I love it.

Welcome brach. This is an awesome group. Tons of support. Post away. It helps.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

KNB. i like the challenge of any new recipe. my older sister does not bake or cook, but she has a good tongue for taste. she would find new deserts at restaurants or markets then challenge me to reproduce it. one year it took me almost 2 months of trying to duplicate the creme brulee from Central Market. when I finally did it she thot it turned out better than theirs. i enjoy baking anything from cookies to custards to peanut brittle etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ee1979 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just back from a holiday seeing old friends and family. Lots of pressure to drink, but I resisted. Day 12 sober. Looking forward to making the 2 week milestone.

I am starting to become a morning person! Anyone else starting to enjoy mornings now you are sober?
Same here. I always was a morning person but being hungover stopped me from being me. It's lovely yo wake up in the morning with a clear head
Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post
KNB. i like the challenge of any new recipe. my older sister does not bake or cook, but she has a good tongue for taste. she would find new deserts at restaurants or markets then challenge me to reproduce it. one year it took me almost 2 months of trying to duplicate the creme brulee from Central Market. when I finally did it she thot it turned out better than theirs. i enjoy baking anything from cookies to custards to peanut brittle etc.
Oooooh. I love creme brûlée. And peanut brittle! Gosh this is making me want to eat. Argh!!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Hmm. Think I am going to eat a packet of crisps( potato chips). I am eating cause I am bored. I usually have a bottle of wine tonight but this girl ain't drinking. My AV is murmuring a bit.
Gonna eat something now
Old 08-29-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Just checking in and wishing all a fantastic and postiive weekend!

I'm proud of each of you for your unwavering commitment to a better life.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Mine too knb. Class was canceled. Perfect opportunity to drink alone in the park or something. Went to the store instead and spent too much on groceries but we needed them as all 4 children will be here this weekend. The glass bottles clicked when I lugged the sacks in and again made me want a beer or 12. No.

Tacos for dinner and nothing but sparkling water and tea for me tonight.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Welcome to #TeamAugust Brach123! This is a very supportive group.

I am doing great, I have 19 days of sobriety and my life is so much better. I look healthier, feel healthier, I'm more productive, happier, optimistic, and have no regrets, guilt or shame lately. My self-esteem is improving every day.

What has helped me is making big changes in my daily routine, making sure I have plenty of NA drinks that I enjoy, staying hydrated, not letting myself get too hungry, planning out my day including starting my day by reminding myself that I don't drink anymore and choosing not to drink today, reading and posting on SR, reading, biking, yoga, dancing, listening to music, having sober fun, and eating chocolate and ICE CREAM when needed.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avra View Post

Good plan Avra. Another tip is make sure you always have a Non-alcoholic drink in your hands at all times and stay hydrated and well fed. Definitely leave early if needed.

Glad you came right back, that's how we do it. Today is a new day.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

thank you for the warm welcome guys and glad to hear that you are here, sober and doing well. I plan to stick around and will keep checking in, today has been long and none too pleasant, but I'm getting in bed soon and will have another day sober and tomorrow is another day, but I'll deal with that when I get to it.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
I am 9 days in and my bloating is completely gone. But I have also been on a calorie controlled diet most days as well as running. Do you think you are eating a lot of icecream?

I just had a tomato juice with Tabasco sauce. It really filled me up and it's very low calorie
LOL! That could be it! Whenever I hear my AV, I eat. I went to both BurgerKing and DairyQueen for small ice cream cones this afternoon. I am starting to treat ice cream shops the way I treated liquor stores.....never go to the same one two days in a row; buy a small amount because you know you are going to consume whatever amount you buy.

My only plans for the weekend is a family birthday party on Sunday. I might go to the beach tomorrow and/or Monday.

Being a home drinker for the most part, I have never had more than one drink at a family party; I usually stuck with water as I knew one drink would be a tease. In the past, I would get home as fast as I could. And, I am ashamed to admit, I sometimes drank a can or two on the drive home, if it was already dark out. I wouldn't plan to, but would stop along the way to get a six-pack. It is a wonder I was never pulled over. I knew it was wrong; I had a very prestigious position in town, but I still did it. When I start thinking of some of the things I have done while drinking, I am completely disgusted with myself. That is one of the reasons I live alone and have few friends. The friends I do have are either old college friends who do not live close or neighbors or friends from work who have families that they spend most of their time with.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Did anyone get the sassy water recipe again?? I forgot who's recipe it is.