Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 37

Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

People have called me blunt too, Dot.

I don't think I am, although I will admit to being straight up & concise at times...I'm not often good at the small talk.

Hope everyone is doing ok - I'll catch up over a few days

D
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Don't listen to them Dot, they probably don 't realise that in saying you're blunt they were being very blunt themselves. Try not to take it to your heart you seem like a lovely person to me.

Dee I think you're exactly the right amount of straightforwardness (Spell check seems to be letting that one slide) I remember in my early recovery in February I was trying to go through withdrawal again and setting myself up for yet another round of attempting to get sober without actually doing anything to achieve it; You had the right words to both encourage me to take an honest look at what I was actively doing to live a sober life but at the same time not being so up-front as to put me off recovery. Must be a difficult balancing act to juggle when dealing with people in early recovery, bravo!

michaels_w hope you're in a better place today

Gleefan you never cease to amaze me with your energy and vitality! Keep it up!

Stay strong out there everyone
Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi undies

(((Dot))) - You've always come across as thoughtful and considerate to me. Have you ever been accused of bluntness or tactlessness before? If not, ignore this person's opinion. Sometimes people can be insulting, and when people are hurtful by and far it's not about you: it's about them.

Sass - I can relate to what you said. Stopping and thinking before I speak is a relatively new concept for me! I'm in the midst of an issue with some former clients, and I am so thankful to be sober and learning how to tread lightly, rather than jumping headlong into a situation where I don't need to be.

One final day to myself before I go back to work on Tuesday. Tuesday morning will be the womp-womp heard world wide. Lol. I'm actually grateful, if you can believe it, for my job. It was a big hit to my ego to lose my classroom, however I'm grateful I had the summer off to work on my recovery. I'm grateful that I have the chance to be in this workplace with sober eyes to see if this vocation is suited to me. I'm glad to have reduced hours so that if it isn't suited to me, I don't have to be there full time and will have plenty of time to pursue other options. I'm also grateful for the structure that work builds into my schedule. A little bit of structure helps me fend off depression.

So there you have it. A positive outlook. Have a great day Undies!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Yea, today sucked. "deep sadness" all through.
Feeling better yet?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Dee good to see you, how did the move go? I always think of you as the perfect counterbalance to me. I always use 50 words when 5 will suffice, you are the opposite! a man of yew words, each worth it's weight in gold. ( mine are more like aluminum cans; you have a heck of a lot of them, but there's value in it somewhere!! Lol

GF, I know when the ego has been knocked it can be difficult to see a bright side, but you have looked at your new situation from a different angle and seen several, that shows real personal strength.

I hope my Undie pals are looking forward to a happy, sober long weekend.

Tanja is not doing too well healthwise, I am sure she would appreciate prayers and thoughts. They are no nearer to finding out just what name to slap on her condition, but it is both agonising and exhausting. It is hard to think of anyone going through something like that, but even more so when that person is gentle, kind, and generous to a fault.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Toots, please tell Tanja hi and we miss her.

GF, you have grown so much during the past months. I'm sure you will be able to assess quickly whether your job is truly a good fit for you, and it won't have the power anymore to get to you and hurt you.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Well.. neither Toots nor Glee seem to be in jail so I assume Boston survived!

Glad you two got to get together! If anyone finds themselves in the heart of the midwest (not as bad a place as all the Californians and such will lead you to believe) look me up. I am probably not as fun as Toots, but will give it a shot.

Glad to see you are settled in Dee.. have to keep that post count up. Somewhere, someone has a post to guess on what day Dee hits 100,000 posts.

Spent almost two hours talking (listening rather) to a dear friend on the phone last night. He just called to say hi. Known David since we were in 1st grade. He lives near Chicago and is married with a family. Teen age twin boys... both were premature and have had health issues all their lives including juvenile diabetes and a 21 year old daughter who still lives at home. He is a UPS driver. Poor fellow, I think he has no one else that listens to him. Nicest guy ever, I literally have never seen him angry, but I think there is a lot of frustration and sadness that lies beneath. People often take advantage of "nice guys" and I think that is the case here. Anyway, my arm and ear hurt from all the yapping.

Holiday weekend coming up. Nothing real earth shattering here, just a chance for a day away from work. As Carlos says, no drinking or drugging..ok?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
Glad to see you are settled in Dee.. have to keep that post count up. Somewhere, someone has a post to guess on what day Dee hits 100,000 posts.

Spent almost two hours talking (listening rather) to a dear friend on the phone last night. He just called to say hi. Known David since we were in 1st grade. He lives near Chicago and is married with a family. Teen age twin boys... both were premature and have had health issues all their lives including juvenile diabetes and a 21 year old daughter who still lives at home. He is a UPS driver. Poor fellow, I think he has no one else that listens to him. Nicest guy ever, I literally have never seen him angry, but I think there is a lot of frustration and sadness that lies beneath. People often take advantage of "nice guys" and I think that is the case here. Anyway, my arm and ear hurt from all the yapping.
It can be great to be on the end of that of the person who gets to vent. I can imagine from your description a person who works hard, struggles, and has to "be there" for everyone in his family. And sometimes, it can seem like, well, who's there for him? I like to think I'm ready to listen to someone like that... and at the same time, it's nice to know I can b*tch to someone. I do that here sometimes, as you know... !
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

DP- I don't think being blunt is necessarily even a bad thing. Sometime it's good to drop the BS and get to the point.

Dee- It's good to see you back here.

Toots and Glee- Glad to hear you both had a good meeting.

I have an appointment with a CPA on Tuesday to discuss my tax problem. And I got several books off of Amazon on small business and taxes to try to read up so I am armed for the future and can figure out the best way to set-up my income. When I first found out I probably owed a ton in back taxes, I kind of freaked out and broke down and cried. But it really didn't take me long to come to terms with it and start working to find the best solution possible. That really is a 180 from how I would have handled it before starting recovery. I feel strangely at peace about it. It also helps that I save so much money not buying weed, alcohol and cigarettes that although paying off a ton of money may be none too pleasant, it would be possible for me.

Yesterday I delivered a project to some customers and they were very pleased with the work I'd done. That made me feel good- especially since it was a new type of project to me and I spent the whole time wondering if I was doing it right. My work performance had really slipped when I was drinking and it's good to feel like I am on the right track again.

Then I went to the shooting range with the neighbors and a friend of theirs and then ate dinner with them.

Today my plans involve work, yoga and then dinner with the neighbors again. I feel so at peace with my life these days. I feel active and engaged with a variety of activities and my job. I really am grateful for the life I have now.

To the undies that are newer, I just want to say that it wasn't always like this for me. I struggled with a lot of stuff in early recovery. And it continues to be a learning process and take work. But if you are willing to stick to sobriety and put an effort into solving the problems that arise rather than avoiding them, things really will get so much better for you.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

R1ck, I totally agree, time and again people apologise to me for venting, for the very reason they are used to sucking it up and carrying the weight. I love to be there to allow them to pour out their frustrations. It takes nothing from me, it doesn't add to my burdens, it is a gift of trust in me and I value every opportunity to be there for a friend looking for an ear to bend. I do my fair share of ear bending too.

Drake, I will fall out with you if you really believe you would be any less fun than me; I would jump at the chance to visit with you, and consider it time well spent indeed. You are one of my peeps, family, now behave or I'll slap you upside the head!!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Me, too!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Drake- Missed you on the cross post. Occasionally my work travels take me not far from your area. I'd wager the two of us could have double the fun of Toots and Glee. Hey, undies are great, but no match for Undies who also happen to be Bandicoots. (Carlos- I hope for once I've found a reference that will go over your head.)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Quick morning check in.
I tried on some clothes that havnt fit for months and guess what? They fit perfect now! So tht put me in a good mood to start the day. I've lost about 25lbs total! Woohoo. Another plus to being sober and taking care of myself.

Will catch up on posts hopefully after work this evening
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good morning / afternoon everyone...

Just checking in quickly. This week has been BUSY at work and today is no exception. Not complaining in the least, though, being busy keeps my family fed and the lights on.

Hope all is well with all undies!

I'll get caught up once I can catch my breath.

Happy pre-Labor Day / weekend everybody.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I've not had time to catch up as I am on a borrowed tablet since I forgot my own. I'm down in California on vacation. We're here for the big Sausalito art show where my son is showing his work. My family all lives down here so were here for a while and having a good time. Going to the beach, picnicking and shopping......you know. We're actually getting along ok. Be home next week. I'm doing pretty well. It's nice to have a change of scene and to be able to sleep in. I hope you are all well. I've been thinking of you, my dears.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Glad you're having such a good time, Else!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm doing better, today. I just had to shake some of the old cobwebs loose, first. They tend to gather space in my head, sometimes, and I do have a lot of space there. lol.

I appreciate the open venting offer, toots. I will definitely take you up on that, one of these days. With my venting, I'm not sure you know what you're signing up for. I'm definitely a "chatty charlie", as you probably already know.

I just need to take a breath. I really like what LS said about being easy on ourselves. He told me, "sometimes, it means just believing that you're loved". Good advice, LS.

I just wanted to check in to say thank you, again. Love you guys. You're all the best. I pray for everyone here, every day.

Have a safe Labor Day weekend.

peace.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi folks,

I'm doing well, keeping busy and have been threatening Toots with descending on her in Beantown in September :-) if I make it further south next spring, I'm hoping Gilmer and I will be able to connect.

Wishing you all a sober, happy and safe Labor Day weekend!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Sass, i just heard from another friend of mine that at Potomac Green you can hear the airplane noise from Dulles. Big deal. I live closer to the airport than that, and we hardly hear planes at all inside--and outside we don't even notice them (except they look cool taking off and landing).

Our first house backed up to the Capital Beltway (with a sound wall), and it did have lots of noise; but it was dull, and it was just part of the normal background.

One place where that was not true was when we lived nextdoor to a firehouse! Firetrucks going out at 2 am were definitely loud and jarring! Don't recommend living next to a firehouse!

But the airport--no problemo!
Old 08-29-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thanks, Gilmer! I'll be on the lookout for that.