Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 37

Old 08-30-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Just some quick thoughts on a gathering:

Courage - stay put, you are the hostess with the mostess.
My god, I look away for a few days and what in the Sam Hill have you all got up to?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Good job on beating that craving BoozeFree, a stressful work day is a huge trigger for me too

I have a 12 hour shift at the gym today! Have a great day everyone and if you need me, I'll be at the squat-rack

Peace, strength and serenity to all this sober Sunday
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend. I know that mine is going much better, than last weekend. I definitely had some help getting through it, with some timely words from here in SR. These last few days have been a lot less of a struggle, because of it.

I haven't had the "joy" of rescuing any bats, like Drake, though. That really sounds like a good time was had by all. My only pets are my fish. I did have the joy, today, of cleaning the two aquariums that I maintain. My fish are actually quite therapeutic. I don't think they know that they are. They just swim in their blissful circles.

I had a very nice dinner out with my wife and daughter. It was so fun. We just talked and laughed. They are so much alike. They're true angels. I am so thankful for the both of them.

I have to say, Drake, that your friend you visited in the hospital, has to feel blessed to have a friend like you. Having done a small stint as a hospice patient, I can tell you that what you did for him, helped more than you'll ever know. It's just a very loving thing to do.

I appreciate all of you here. For any struggle I go through, still early in this, I know that you all share in it, having gone through it yourselves. For any happiness that I have, I know that you share in that, as well.

I always remember you in prayer. I know that you remember me too.

peace.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Administrator

went to the local mall today - it's one of the biggest in the southern hemisphere..bit too big for me and my poor tired old legs I think

D
Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gleefan what a wonderful post! ( I should correct you that I am English living in Scotland- I'm not remotely offended, but a scot might be a tad sensitive at a sassenach being called Scottish!!! ) I too tend to think in terms of SR pals when I see visual reminders.

Carlos, I would much rather eat an animal that I knew had a happy life rather than some anonymous slab of shop bought meat. Mmmmmm crackling! Enjoy your picnic today.

BeFree wise move to avoid tomorrow, and for putting your sobriety first.

DG, when I ran the home my neighbour found a badly injured kitty in his yard, I took her to the charity vet who gave her antibiotics etc & showed me how to tend her wound. When I took her back 2 weeks later for her check up she was healing beautifully, he told me he hadn't been sure she would survive! What a sweetie she turned out to be. I called her Vocal because she had a really loud shout, and when I sold up, it was democratically agreed she stayed with the home.

Drake, poor bat must have been terrified! We get them around the house in Scotland, I find them adorable! I am sorry for your dear friend but glad you can be there for him. When my exH's brother had terminal cancer at 42 a lot of friends kept away because they just couldn't bear to see him that way. I couldn't bear to miss the opportunity to spend time with someone I was about to lose. I never regretted my decision, he and his wife were upset by those staying away, but fortified by those who visited. As for the meeting, don't decide just yet, but make the decision from the head not the heart I feel. And it was actually lovely to get a long post from you!

Gilmer, I have thoughtlessly and insensitively stepped on fragile egos with my size 12's. It usually comes from a place when perhaps that particular day I ought not be posting as my own emotions and issues were too rampant. ( back in your box Carlos!) it is hard to see you saying anything offensive deliberately, but I'm sure your apology more than made up for any injured feelings.

Courage, we are all coming to yours for the first annual SR Fall Collection of Undies.

LS squat rack? What? Are you a masochist??? I worked at a gym in Scotland, we also had an indoor pool, it was great to begin a late shift or end a stressful early or day shift with a workout or a swim.

Altoid, hypocrytical carnivore that I am, I would struggle to administer the killing blow, (more in fear of causing unnecessary suffering with my bungling than faint heartedness) but I would certainly partake of the freshly cooked offerings.

Sass, I love the visual imagery from your hammer/ nail analogy, I can totally see the type of person you mean!! Yeesh! I would struggle to maintain my sanity. Sounds like they could be introduced to Budds counsellor( March 13 in joke)

Trachy, do I take it you and sparly are now our unofficial 'enforcers'?

Unmentioned ( but never Unmentionable!) Undies I hope your weekend is going swimmingly.

If anyone has noticed I am writing this at stupid o'clock, I woke with a bit of a gyp tummy and am waiting for it to settle. I am sitting on the sofa listening to his nibs snoring away obliviously next door. I think I will go smother him with a pillow.

Cheery bye peeps
Old 08-31-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Got it covered, Sass!

Delightful image, Trachy.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Toots, love your post (as usual). Although I feel rather put out, I strongly suspect much of it is from childhood "stuff" and I think that the addictions group hit all of my hot buttons. Dee could probably tell a few tales of what a piece of work I can be when riled up, though I totally trust his discretion! Last night my infamous temper finally cooled enough so I could think more rationally. I am uncomfortable in groups bigger than 2-4, totally see red when I feel I am being judged, and same when I feel I have been tricked or maneuvered. They addictions group hit 3 of my biggest hot buttons. I'm grateful I am sober now but I credit SR for getting me on the right road and most of the way there. The IOP nudged me over the final hump and for that I am grateful. My home is here.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've never been less than polite to me Sass

D
Old 08-31-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

You are a real gentleman, Dee! :-)
Old 08-31-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

This has been a wonderful day of posting! What a joy to read.

Thank you, especially, Glee.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

You, too, Sass, my gracious friend!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Gleefan what a wonderful post! ( I should correct you that I am English living in Scotland- I'm not remotely offended, but a scot might be a tad sensitive at a sassenach being called Scottish!!! ) I too tend to think in terms of SR pals when I see visual reminders.
One of the funnier moments of my last trip to Scotland was a taxi ride in Edinburgh with a friend who was along on the trip. The taxi driver asked how we liked the city, Mark exclaimed "This is the most incredible city in England..."

"England, Sir????! THIS IS SCOTLAND!"

I feared being tossed out of the cab on the spot and having to make our way back in a strange city... lucky he took pity on us.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Sparky- It sounds like you need a new cat. Maybe I can pass the furry ball of love on to you as a gift??

I love cats and believe me I'm tempted to keep the little kitten. Thing is that I already have two cats and I travel a lot. I already feel bad about leaving my kitties- I have someone who checks on them while I am gone, but I know they are still alone for days or weeks. Sometimes the person who checks on them doesn't even see them when she comes over and if they got hurt or something, she may not catch it.

Plus, cats are a huge commitment. It could live for 20 years which is longer than most people are married. My cats are both middle-age and I'm just not sure I want to extend my cat life commitment by another 10 years. And whenever they kill mice, birds, etc. I feel guilty and sad for the little critter they tortured and killed. I just can't help it.

It's so tempting to keep the kitten- it is SO cute, but if I take it to the shelter now, it will hopefully find a loving family that needs a cat.

BeFree- I've kept the new cat in the bathroom so it can't get too close to the others. That might not prevent the spread of something airborne, but maybe it will help. I think pretty much everywhere is probably closed for the holiday weekend, so it will be next week before I can take it to the vet or shelter.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Bedtime Undies!! lol. Not sure how to say it anymore with this great international group!

Lots of fantastic reading from everyone, Glee, a post that goes straight to the heart! My sobriety calendar on my Ipad has had a few wrong dates the last week, so I hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth once again!!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

If Elseware's sobriety date is correct, she is celebrating a year sober!!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Drake - Great post. The drama of your 12 step group would turn me off, too - but then again, I have been known to isolate!! I know that I go to AA for guidance on life's struggles. Sometimes meetings are inspirational, often they're not, and at times I find myself frustrated. If you tend to isolate, I'd caution you from quitting the group without finding another one to replace it. I find that if I stretch myself out of my isolating frame of mind, I can find as many reasons to keep going as I can to stop going.

Sass - It's good to recognize what you're gaining from IOP, rather than focus on your frustrations with the program. I know that for me, finding gratitude has transformed my outlook on life. It started out as gratitude for the clearly good things in my life, and has evolved into finding gratitude for situations that frustrate me, as well. I'm learning to accept that not everything will go in my favor, feel good, be easy, or be well, which is going a long way towards my emerging maturity.

BoozeFree - Smart decision to stay away from a reggae concert, if concert going in the past was connected to using. It's good to have that insight as to what your behavior previously was in situations to know whether your sobriety is strong enough to handle the triggers. There were things that I couldn't do for the last several months because of the connection to drinking - for example, big yard work projects were always, always tied up in treating myself by using afterwards. I have faith that eventually I'll be able to do it without feeling triggered, but in the mean time, if it's not necessary, I'm not doing it.

Courage - Our rollicking band of misfits is descending upon your city in the Fall. Carlos is planning the party games. I imagine the scores will look something like this:

M_w - It's sweet to see how much joy you're getting from the time you spend with your wife and daughter.

Toots - Dumb American here! Ugh!

DG - Glad the little kitty is still doing ok. Meow!

LS - Have a good day at work, doing the job you dreamed of!!

Else - Hope you're enjoying your son and granddaughter!

Altoids - I'm all for following native customs when visiting someplace, for fear of offending my host. Although I eat animals, I've never killed my dinner before. I'm fortunate that I've never been hungry enough to consider it.

Dee - Sorry the trip to the mall was exhausting on your legs - and probably your wallet too. Hope you get a nice rest tonight.

With work and hockey starting up this week, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me! LOL! I'm prepping meals for the next few days - homemade sauce, roasted carrots and onions, mashed purple potatoes, and vegetable soup. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies, but it's fallen on the wayside over the past year, at first due to the time eaten up with drinking and hangovers, then after I quit drinking, due to exhaustion in early recovery, then due to a lack of motivation from depression. I've tried to get back into the kitchen a few times since quitting, but with little success. Today, though, I'm excited to cook. (With my shoes on, Carlos!)

Have a good one, Undies!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comment, Glee! You are spot on - when I focus on my frustrations, I just get angry and then feel more frustrated and so on. Finding gratitude is something I've forgotten and it is a great practice.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

DG, rescued a shelter cat when the last one disappeared. Thanks for the offer though I'm guessing mailing it would have been pretty hard on it.

Enjoying a boring, rainy Sunday. Went fishing this AM and caught some smallmouth bass - lots of fun - haven't caught some for years. Also enjoyed a delicious walleye as the lunch appetizer.

Strange to be bored. Hasn't happened for a very long time. Used to fill the boredom with boozing. Went to my second AA meeting last night too. Nice people there.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hi undies!
Got to sleep in a bit which was nice. Took my dog to the park for some frisbee and ran my errands this morning. The traffic is already horrible on the freeway for this holiday weekend. I bought my self some sparkling water with lemon to change things up a bit. No big plans other than a relaxing day off after a crazy work week!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Trachy, do I take it you and sparky are now our unofficial 'enforcers'?
I wanna join? I can be the "back up". I'll just keep backing up until all the dust settles. What? Hey, I'm a lover, not a fighter. lol.

peace.