Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 37

Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi folks -- I'm missing you all. I don't know what I'm doing lately, to be honest. Not drinking, anyway.

I think I owe Gleefan a congratulations on a new job, and BoozeFree congratulations on a promotion -- management? Wow! And Altoids, on a great health check-up.

Gilmer, I also want to say that I admire how you got through that anniversary trip you took -- it sounds a rocky & thorny pass, but you came out the other side more lovely even than before, with a few scratches for effect & a few burrs in your hair.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaels_w View Post
That is certainly scary for anyone to go through. It's so good that you can spend time, and go through it, with them.

I included the little one and the family in my prayers today. May they continue to be well.

peace.
Thanks, MW! The scans were clear :-) For the family, it's hard to go through these every 3 months! Prayers gratefully appreciated!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

There are so many wonderful anniversaries that I am going to take the easy way out this time and wish all of you a very hearty congratulations! Off to get some rest.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Class is a bad word???? Or am I missing something since it let me type it.

(see sparky's avatar)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Yes it censored the word class

No idea why. Guess I'm not supposed to describe myself as an ass.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Man, bopping along staying sober and trying to grow spiritually. Attending daily meetings - over 90 in less than 90 days and WHAM!! Get blindsided by something stupid that just proves how far I have yet to go......

I am in a pretty dynamic group at AA of some quality sobriety. A lot of diversity with one thing in common. I really love meetings and usually walk out uplifted and feeling great.

A couple days back, my sponsor suggested it was time for me to chair a meeting. I do not have a burning desire but was prompted, do love to engage people though. I signed up for next week. Sponsor is 22 years sober - great guy (today -----haaaaa).

Anyway, the gent running the meeting started by saying we need volunteers for sign up for October chairing. But, remember - you have to have six months in order to do this.

POP - I felt like I was personally attacked that perhaps he stated this cause he saw my name on the schedule, knowing I had less than 6 months time = fiefdom attack by him .....maybe??

Now, no one has ever stated that before. Today's chair is a guy who is a well know successful business man in town. Very dynamic - and IMO ego driven. He is in his early 50's been sober since he was 21. Mommy sent him to rehab and told him to shape up is the vibe I always got.....

If he wants to know WTF drinking was, he should have been around me for 35 + years.......He's a rookie.

Anyway, takes a lot for me to post this as I am an AA supporter ( please don't bash it ) and feel I am on a great path - through grace - to be at day 87. However, now I am pissed off = resentful and going to the dark place......F***.

I am really this friggin sensitive????? WOW>>>>>
Can't reach sponsor, but I don't want to stir up jazz in the group.......Guess just venting, it'll pass...

Thanks for ya'll - really helps a ton
Old 09-03-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

It censors it in the avatar caption but not in the posts.... oh well....
Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

LS - Congrats on 30 days sober!

Courage - Congrats on 7 months sober!

I'm so happy for you both!!

Saskia - I'm so glad the scans came out ok.

BeFree - I hope you enjoy managing and womping today.

DG - Glad your enjoying a full and meaningful life in recovery. What a great reminder to keep at it.

Gilmer - I don't know what my next step is going to be in my career. I don't have a clear plan at all.

Carlos - As I mentioned, I never even thought of what the consequences of my frustrations at work yesterday would have been had I not been engaged in a comprehensive, mind-body-spirit recovery. Thank you for refusing to listen to me complain about work til I experienced it firsthand. You nudged me towards realizing what a horrible attitude I had about my job. I was thinking about everything that might be lousy about the position as a defense mechanism because I was nervous how the first day back would go. But thinking of everything lousy about it didn't make it any easier to go back; instead it gave me more to worry about. I truly went there on Day One with an open mind, determined to try my best.

My coworkers at my other position had been extremely difficult to work with from the start, and I was sooo nervous how the new folks would behave. I had it all worked out in my head all summer which coworkers in the new position were going to snub, ridicule, and reject me. At the last minute, I decided that it didn't matter if people were nice or hurtful, all that mattered was that *I* went in and tried my best. Right there, my recovery set me up for a win.

The effects of my recovery didn't end there, though. I found out some staffing circumstances that drove me up a wall. Without recovery, I'd have been infuriated over it, and stewing deeply over it. But with recovery, I'm able to be grateful about what's good about my job while carefully considering the stability of my employment. I'm not angry, and I'm not anywhere near a drink. This is the serenity that I've been hearing about!

I was pumped to go to AA after work yesterday. I was so grateful to AA for putting me in a place where I felt at peace about work. The meeting was good, but the topic was challenging to me. When I found my mind circling round and round after the discussion, I stopped myself. I gave myself permission to save the problem solving for another time. Another recovery success.

Time for the older kid's hockey practice. Have a good one, Undies!

Oh, and if you're interested in meeting in NYC this fall, PM me. I'm thinking October 25, November 1, November 8, or November 15. We can coordinate details via PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
Yes it censored the word class

No idea why. Guess I'm not supposed to describe myself as an ass.
There isn't a good enough LMAO emoticon for that.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats probably a no no under rule one - even tho I assume it's not for profit...but I can check with Anna if you like...

in the meantime, there's nothing to stop you from sending the links to interested parties who PM you.

You can certainly PM me the link- I'd like to look

D

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
Oh I do have one other query Dee if you have a moment,

During my five months of sobriety I continued to write poems as a sort of artistic experiment to see what effect sobriety would have on my writing, I uploaded my collection to Kindle Publishing and sent it out to some friends. I was wondering what this site's stance on posting a link to this collection would be? I'm worried it will look a lot like spamming or using this site for something other than support with my sobriety, but on the other hand it would be nice to share my poems with others who have gone through similar experiences.

My gut feeling is that it's probably not acceptable to be posting links for personal projects like that but hey, thought I'd ask anyway, being a starving artist and everything :p

Thanks Dee
Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to Glee, BF and Sass for your good news..and to anyone this sleepyhead may have missed

D
Old 09-03-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Glee, it was inspiring to read your before/after sober serenity contrasts! I can see so much of myself in the before - and now I'm really looking forward to experiencing the after instead! Thank you!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi again folks, I just want to share something from a meeting I went to tonight. A. said that he had a hard time learning what unmanageability was, because he successfully managed to meet his daily goal when he was active, which was to get wasted.

He said that in sobriety it had been hard for him to learn to develop new goals; not to settle for trivial, similarly compulsive goals to substitute for the lost goal of a drunk; sometimes, to be ok with no goal within his own control or understanding.

Don't know if that sounds trivial to you all, but it's huge for me. There were some people there tonight living in pretty dire straits these days, but A's brief observation took me to the heart of my own essential every day dilemma, which is finding -- and not always finding -- a purpose in living without drinking. Amen, Brother A.!

I love other alcoholics!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

That realisation was huge for me too Courage

D
Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That realisation was huge for me too Courage

D
Well you are the man who asked me, what do you care about, Courage? And that is the question, innit?
Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pretty much

D
Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

True that. The question of purpose is much more front and center now that it's not occupied with drinking. My purpose wasn't drinking but it certainly didn't matter what it was when I was slowly and surely getting drunk...
Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-38-a.html

D