Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 12

Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months Whodey !
O man yesterday about got me ! I'm now 6-7 out from the last pill !(yay). Got home from work, had my wife laid over in the drivers seat of the van, doors locked, kids asleep. She's sick, really weak, has had constant low blood sugar. Ok second issue- she also has irregular period bleeding, low iron, anemia, I'm guessing from the no period for 4 months at a time thing. She's has a DandC about once a yr because this stuff.
I came home after 3 long days feeling like I'd accomplished a little with some OT at work. What I got shown is that in my state of recovering, I can't handle crap ! It was all I could do to get her in bed and feed our 1 yr old. I was shaking until I went to bed. God it feels better to get this out -whooooeee
Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Whodey!

Jeff, you are better help sober to her than you ever were drunk. I notice that the crises that happen to me now, I handle in a much more calm, rational manner than I did before. Also, I am able to get over negativity faster than I did before. Life doesn't get easier because we got sober. We handle it better when we are sober.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
What I got shown is that in my state of recovering, I can't handle crap !
Jeff ... Dude, you have a lot on your plate! I think you're being too hard on yourself. What you described was a difficult situation. As DD said, don't you think you are in a better position to help sober rather than drunk? You are doing a lot for your family. Don't forget to love yourself while you're at it.

Everyone ... I'll be going on vacation soon and will not be on-line with any regularity. Know that I'll be thinking of you and that I'll continue to tread the sobriety trail.

Two quotes today ... both from a running perspecitve and applicable to our journey:
"But I also realize that winning doesn't always mean getting first place; it means getting the best out of yourself." - Meb Keflezighi

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." - Walter Elliott
Finally, the Fact of the Day:
Snails are capable of sleeping for three years.
With snails being as slow as they are, I'm not sure how one determines that they are sleeping, but I'll accept this fact at face value.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Congratulations, Whodey!

Jeff, you are better help sober to her than you ever were drunk. I notice that the crises that happen to me now, I handle in a much more calm, rational manner than I did before. Also, I am able to get over negativity faster than I did before. Life doesn't get easier because we got sober. We handle it better when we are sober.
Word!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Have fun on your vacay WD! Where are you headed?

JL - DD is so right, sh%t keeps coming at ya but you will handle it so much better if you are sober. Keep up the fight!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. I must handle stuff better sober. What's the "42 day- new liver" concept? I missed it somewhere.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Driver told us that the liver is one of the few organs that can regenerate and that it takes 42 days of clean living for the liver to be Brand new (barring any cirrhosis or permanent scarring of the sort).
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Yes, the liver is continually "regenerating" and I've seen references to a complete cycle taking around 6 weeks.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynderino View Post
Have fun on your vacay WD! Where are you headed?
The family is headed to Michigan for a week on a lake. Looking forward to a relaxing time.

A new twist is that we're bringing our two dogs. Should be fun!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Have a great Va-k, Whodey!!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Enjoy, WD!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Have a good one WD !
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Jeff, congrats on your new liver! Sounds like things are tough with your wife's health. I'm sending your family good thoughts and hope she gets well soon.

WD, congrats on 9 months and enjoy your well-earned vacation!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Thanks for the well wishes. We leave bright and early tomorrow morning. Today is a half day of work followed by lawn mowing and then packing.

Today's quote ... which will be the last for over a week ...
"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals." - Booker T. Washington
To this I might add ... "and most people will never know the sum of the obstacles you had to overcome."

Most people will only see the outward accomplishment ... which in our case is sobriety. They will never completely understand the obstacles encountered on the journey. Rather than that being a discouragement, it gives us a quiet confidence. We are, indeed, more powerful than we ever imagined. We have wrestled with demons and have emerged victorious.

Carry on, Tobers!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Great. Have a "follow up ", wed, on my blood test I took about 10 days ago. Not looking forward to hearing any bad news, but when they call you for that, it's not a lotto winning. Gotta be a better life lived sober but darn! Never considered myself a whiner until started voicing my issues, on here. I'm working a 15 1/2 day today so I'm just a crabby-
Patty about everything today. I'll just shut up. Hoping you all are having a decent day.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Great. Have a "follow up ", wed, on my blood test I took about 10 days ago. Not looking forward to hearing any bad news, but when they call you for that, it's not a lotto winning. Gotta be a better life lived sober but darn! Never considered myself a whiner until started voicing my issues, on here. I'm working a 15 1/2 day today so I'm just a crabby-
Patty about everything today. I'll just shut up. Hoping you all are having a decent day.
Hugs, friend! You aren't a whiner. This is how we are able to get through the day sober. Once some time has passed you will wake up a little more each day and start seeing all the good too. Just don't drink today (repeat that PRN)!

It's hot as hell here in KC this weekend. Probably laying low for the most part. Heading to my sister's in Oklahoma City - just me and the kids - next weekend. Should be a fun mini getaway.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a great weekend - especially you JL

D
Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

A good start to the weekend here. A little birdwatching (nothing amazing to see). Then a wonderful conversation with a former student who was passing through town. Then a bit of fishing on Boulder Creek (success for once!). Learned that dear daughter got the highest grade in her summer school science class. Now I'm home for a relaxing evening.
What will tomorrow bring????
Fish-dude
Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Quiet weekend here, too. I took the kids to a local amusement park this past Wednesday. We stayed from park open to park close and fireworks. I feel like I am still recuperating. Sometimes I am amazed that I had energy to do anything when I was an active drinker.

JL, I had some shaky bloodwork last fall. I had high triglycerides. They just told me to watch my diet. I am looking forward to getting the new numbers this fall with all of the changes I have made towards my health. Try not to worry.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Ok, wisdom seeking today-
I went into " booksamillion" on a break from the ambulance today. Why oh WHY are there so many books on self help, financial success?? I don't know where to start on that issue. Sobering up has awoken me to great possibilities, but a whole lot of scam ideas and distractions as well. Yow!