Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 12

Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, we are slacking off on posts these days. I am going to take that as a good sign, Tobers!! I have been wanting to sleep in every morning because it just feels so good. My husband feels the same way. He said he thinks it is because we are feeling such peace and catching up on our rest. I love that he always looks for the positive. Have a great weekend, my dear Tobers!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I have been wanting to sleep in every morning because it just feels so good.
I feel this way EVERY morning ... but rarely get to follow through!

Yes ... light traffic the last couple of days.

JL ... I felt lethargic early in recovery. On one level it was a little disconcerting because I thought being sober I should be full of energy! Perhaps it is our bodies trying to catch up after the abuse we've put it through.

The question of how open to be with others about our struggle with alcohol is an interesting one. Your recovery should, of course, be your number one priority. If it helps to be open ... then do so. If it is best to keep your recovery private .. then do so.

Early in recovery I felt pressure to explain my not drinking to friends. Normal I guess as they knew me as a drinker. Now that I'm approaching 9 months, I find myself just saying "I don't drink." I love the simplicity of that and identifying as a non-drinker.

JL, do whatever you have to do to not drink each day. Each day is it's on struggle. Don't worry about the big picture ... just take it one day at a time. Vow to not drink today. That's all any of us can do.

Today's fact:
The word Himalayas means the house of snow.
Rock on Tobers.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Don't know what happened to my last posting, but basically....no, my life is NOT boring. Having made it to step mom's it is OBVIOUS that her hubby is STILL USING. Sleeps ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, and of course, she is in total denial. Totally "forgot", that she told me just to "get here and I will help you in any way I can"...now. She insists that I was not coming just for her, and she told me that there would be no car for me to use when here. SO....bottom line, I am now paying total cost of rental car for entire stay.
THEN, yesterday, I told her that he is still using! She asked me to "search"...having had so much experience in this with my daughter, sad to admit. I did. I found, for starters, HIDDEN vicodin, pot, a top to a bottle with tar residue, q-tips, etc, etc. SHE WENT NUTS! Had a reason for everything.....so I almost left. He was right there and did not say a word. Things calmed down and I stayed over night and we will see what happens today....
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

WD - my avatar is Leela from Futurama. Love that show! I am loving the daily quotes. Thanks for posting them!

JL - you are so close to a new liver. I think Driver said that was around 42 days. I sure hope he is okay and just busy with the babies! Anyway, I was very tired in the beginning too. I love your state of mind though. You seem very in touch with what is going on and how you are going to approach it. That's all we can do. And like WhoDey says, just take it one day at a time. Or one hour at a time if it's that kind of day. ((hugs))

Billr - where are ya, friend? Hope all is well.

So I have been trying to take a different type of exercise class each month. Last month was rowing which I really liked! This month is pilates. I have no idea what to expect. I have been doing lots of exercising these days. It feels so good to be lighter, to be healthier and to be STRONG! Keep at it guys, we are all meant for greater things!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Trudging - you are a saint for even going there to TRY and help! Seriously. I hope you get a vacation from all this sh%t soon!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

DD - your hubs sounds like a smart guy. What's the point in dwelling on the negative!

So what everyone up to this weekend?

I went to the Royals game last night and they got their a$$es handed to them by Detroit. It was a full moon and people were acting strange. Things just felt precarious out there! Nothing going on tonight for me. Tomorrow is my son's last baseball game of the season. Taking it easy the rest of the time. Might take the kids roller skating on Sunday. It is a surprisingly good workout disguised as fun!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My son finished his baseball earlier this week. We had an end-of-season team party last night. Lots of fun ... and as a coach I received a nice team photo and a t-shirt. Now it's on to tryoouts which begin next week in order to pin down next year's team. The fun never stops!

My daughter's been away on a church mission trip this week and she returns tomorrow. It will be nice to have her back into the family fold and I'm looking forward to hearing of her adventures.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I woke up in a great mental state only to talk to my drunken mother on the way to work. She was so wasted, she couldn't string a sentence together. I called my father and he said that everything was under control, that my mom was not an alcoholic because she was just upset because they were arguing and she hates her condo. I said that she is an alcoholic and he was free to live in his denial but I am not in denial. And that was that . . .

So, I was upset for about a half an hour and then I decided to just enjoy a restful day and a restful weekend. My one son has a basketball game and that is the only thing on the docket. Next week we are going to my son's freshman orientation at college. I can't wait to feel more "in the know" with the college thing. We ordered his bedding and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. None of us have opened the box. (not sure if this is subconscious or just lazy. he he he)

Did any of your spouses call you out on your drinking? Mine would get upset when I would drink too much at parties and what not, but I don't think, to this day, he would call me an alcoholic or admit that I have the real problem with it, that I do. I guess it is every bit as upsetting to admit to being married to an active alcoholic as it is to be one?!?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

DD - my husband is of the same mindset as yours. And I know he misses "fun Cindy" - heck I miss her too sometimes. But the person I am today is so much more at peace and I have a healthy outlook on things. I am just not willing to trade all that for a night of "fun." I say fun but I know how it would actually turn out. The reality of the situation is that I would drink too much, if I didn't make a total a$$ out of myself that night I would surely wake up with a rocking hangover. No thanks!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh and sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs to you, friend!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

DD sorry to hear about the bad contact. My mom was a medication abuser/addict. Complete denial to this day, even in the nursing home ! I feel you on that note.
My wife called me out on drinking, but now that I'm not, I've observed that it became her number one excuse to be as ugly and nasty to me and blame me for any issue out there, because " I was drunk".
I think me stopping has been so hard for her and she's now in a pickle cause she's used to being a smart---, and now she doesn't get to say whatever she wants without just looking like a fool. I mean, she's earned griping rights, but every person has their own demons. Maybe it'll get better. It IS better than me being drunk.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh I'm working the Saturday shift, off Sunday! Whoo hooo!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Went to a wake today for a distant inlaw. Lots of wine and odd beer brands. Didn't want any alcohol, but was drinking an ice cold Gatorade kick start. Contains a jolt of caffeine. It was hot out today!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Way to be strong JL!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yay, JL. Another experience of strength to build on!!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good for you JL! Hope Billr is ok....and Driver too! Thanks, Cyni....but, saint? Eh...SURVIVOR.....but, thanks anyway! DD...too bad you don't live in CA....we could DEFINITELY "do lunch" and commisurate. Still at step-mom's ....things are a teeny weeny bit better. BUT....NOW, I have a different mindset. I WILL NOT tolerate any more abuse. After kind of "snooping", and really just looking through the paperwork on the kitchen counter, it is OBVIOUS that they are BOTH INCOMPETENT. I need to find the lawyer who drafted the original IRREVOCABLE TRUST. I am sure she changed it, illegally....and I just read that by law, beneficiaries are REQUIRED to receive copy; any changes made after the death of one spouse MUST include beneficiary notification. Over the years, I haven't really cared too much....and she always said she "couldn't find it". It has NOW become apparent, that she did not want me or my sisters to see it. So, today, I am doing MY stuff.....NOT THEIRS....AND, I am looking for a day spa for maybe tomorrow. THEN, I am going to figure out how and when to get the heck out of here, but keep them safe, with homecare. Someone in the hair salon....can you believe this....told her that $3000.00/mo is the proper "going rate" for a livein housekeeper who cooks.....OMG!!!!! And....we are talking RIVERSIDE, CA.....NOT BEVERLY HILLS, although, the house is luxurious and I just found out there are about 50 acres.....unbelievable Well, that's it for me, kids....same ol', same ol'......
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Jul 12- 30 days sober, never thought I'd see it. It's quiet. Peace I never knew, probably. Still tired, but happier for sure. Seeing all the stuff I've ignored from being drunk. Some good, some bad. Every day is a day I feel like I don't know what the flip I'm doing, because my old plan was to hit the sauce. 30 days ! Thank you GOD !
Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

All,
Had a solo camping/hiking/fishing/birding weekend in Rocky Mtn Ntl Pk. Just got back. Yes, the storms were bad (2 folks killed by lightning strikes Friday and yesterday). But I was a long ways away from where they were. Great, restorative time. No fish. Ah well. But a "life bird" (White-tailed Ptarmigan)!
Fishy
Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days, JL. I knew you could do it! You never gave up! I am proud to know you.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congrats to JL and Fishy on your big milestones!