Notices

Class of June 2014 Part 3

Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Family reunion this weekend. I'm closing in on day 30 and doing well. I have a question though: In the past, I would have been the guy mixing the martini's and that won't be happening this year, of course. Do you find it helpful to make your sobriety a public thing or do you just decline the drink and let them figure it out? I've only told one of my friends I quit; I guess I'm kind of private in that regard. Thanks, everyone and enjoy the weekend.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

One month ago today I had found my rock bottom. I was missing work, hiding from friends and family, my body was rebelling like it never had, and then I found SR and realized I not only had to make a change, but I could.

Today I'm healthier, I'm happier, I've lost weight, my odd rashes and bruises have disappeared, my head is clear. A big reason I was able to make it this far was each and every one of you who have taken the time to post here, your highs, your lows, your laughter and your tears. I appreciate all of you.

Happy fourth to everyone in the states, and happy almost weekend to everyone who is not.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. This is day 24 and things keep getting better, my motivation has increased and my depression is not only gone but my moods are positive. I'm not on meds or anything for depression but the morning and day after a night of drinking I would have major depression and regret. I don't want to feet that way anymore.

My 4th of July plans will be an annual invite to our neighbors where there is a lot of drinking. I was invited to my friends house this evening, he said he doesn't have any beer and I told him, no problem, I'm not drinking anyway. Then after the 4th, the wife and I are going on a two day mini road trip. Earlier I was concerned about this because I know she will be drinking wine, but I feel confident and strong to stay sober and mentally I'm in a better place.

I have noticed a couple of things so far at gatherings that may help people. 1) if you don't drink and just have soda or a glass, no one says anything. I was over paranoid about being pressured to drink. 2) If there are groups of people at the gathering, wonder over and talk and hang with those who are not drinking, stay away from the ones who are really over doing it. 3) As for excuses as to why I'm not drinking, I can tell the truth; it's affecting my health (which is true), I'm the DD (which is good for the 4th because the police are out in heavy force), or "I just don't feel like it". Lately I've been telling folks that I'm getting older and it's taking it's toll on me. I say I haven't been drinking and will be crossing off my list. I haven't had any pressure to drink from friends or family. I think if someone was trying to really pressure me after I just told them I'm not drinking, I would get angry for not respecting my decision. Good friends should respect your decision not to drink, if they don't, there not good friends.

I will be out of town this weekend and back on the boards Tuesday. I know I can make it and wish everyone a safe and sober Holiday and weekend. Stay strong in your convictions and start next week sober and feeling good.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruce1150rt View Post
Family reunion this weekend. I'm closing in on day 30 and doing well. I have a question though: In the past, I would have been the guy mixing the martini's and that won't be happening this year, of course. Do you find it helpful to make your sobriety a public thing or do you just decline the drink and let them figure it out? I've only told one of my friends I quit; I guess I'm kind of private in that regard. Thanks, everyone and enjoy the weekend.

It helps me to make my sobriety public. I just tell people that I don't drink anymore or that I quit drinking and no one has batted an eyelash. I guess to other people not drinking isn't a big deal.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Grant, good for u for meeting someone and having a great night!! Still tip toeing around the sex thing with my husband. I need to do it but I can't get the courage up!! Was it different for you being sober?

For all if you who have spouses who still drink my hat is off to you!!! I don't think I could do that.

I am not a private person and have told everyone whom I'm close with and/or drink with that I'm an alcoholic and am involved in aa to continue my sobriety. People have been very surprised by this bc I drank at home or more moderately than some if my friends. It helps me to stay accountable to no drinking and also has given me some added support.

Today my husband came with me to a aa meeting for my 30 day coin. They weren't able to get it out of the locked cabinet but it was awesome to be there with my husband.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hereandnow2 View Post
Was it different for you being sober?
The short answer is yes, it was different. I really can't remember the last time I had sex sober, so this time was a bit of an eye opener. I felt relaxed and happy and completely there. I remember in the past sex would make me anxious, it impacted on drinking time.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Well, for the first time in awhile I'm craving a drink. So here I am. Go away, AV, I don't want you.
It doesn't help that I'm pretty sure I've developed a physical dependence on klonopin too. I hate this addictive personality I have.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

anewpage - I can feel my resolve slipping a little bit too. The gremlin is speaking. We are going to have to work really hard to shut it down, I think! Hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? I know I'm exhausted, so instead of hunting down some wine I'm going to try and go to bed earlier tonight. I would also love hubby to pick up some ice cream on the way home. Anything to squash the AV. Do you have a meeting tonight?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

And I really need a good movie. That's my hopeful plan tonight. Ice cream, movie, sleep. I really need it.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I do have a meeting in about 45 minutes. Not sure if I should bring up the klonopin issue or not.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

I'm not familiar with prescription medication dependency. Are you taking more than prescribed? Can you talk to a doc too? Good job for doing the meeting - I'm sure you could talk with someone there, too. Check back lots. We can get through this.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

I had issues with prescriptions too, any painkiller, zanex. I had to get rid if everything, it was very difficult!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

How'd it go anewpage?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 6. All is pretty good over here. Spent the day with my family and not a thought about drinking. However, I was confronted by old triggers; although I didn't succumb to the temptation I did feel weak. I fear that my resolve will lessen. I pray for strength everyday and approach everyday as an individual opportunity to stay sober but I worry about weeks or months from now. Today I was strong and took time to recognize what alcohol has done to me.... But I'm scared that those memories will fade away. That's why although I had a good day I still took time out to speak with you guys because it know I need as much support on the good days as I do on the bad days.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Did you find a good movie applekat?
Sober night in before I leave for the lake tomorrow. Felt great ordering my Arnie Palmer at happy hour last night with a friend who ordered wine. I ordered with confidence and she didn't bat an eye. It was just the two of us, so not a big deal, but I am proud of myself for staying strong. As I got in my car I remembered how grateful I am to be sober and how good it feels to be 100% clear headed behind the wheel.
Happy 4th everyone and stay true to your sobriety. It really is independence isn't it!? I hearby declare my independence from alcohol and the smothering it does to my spirit! Xo. May not check in again until Sunday or Monday...
Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

hey guys

Day 6 ending tonight still feel alright. Good luck and stay strong over this weekend. I HAVE to stay strong for my family to save my life. Best wishes to everyone here.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

I ended up just watching an episode of Parenthood. Love that show. Although....I am finding myself getting wistful with all their casual wine drinking/family dinner parties. I hadn't had an issue yet with alcohol in TV/movies but re-watching Parenthood is making me nostalgic.....

Going to have to summon lots of strength to get through this weekend.

Anewpage I hope the meeting helped!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Good morning, June-ers. I am so grateful for a sober Friday morning. Today is a new day.

Happy 4th of July to those state side with me. Stay safe and sober.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Happy fourth too all of you this morning!! Have a great day! And remember post here first if anyone feels like they are caving. There's always so many people here to support us.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Happy 4th Juners! Be strong this weekend one and all! You all have so much to be proud of. Approaching 60 days here...doing ok, but dealing with PAWS a lot over this last week or so. Good thing is that I recognize it, know it will pass and eventually resolve.