Notices

Class of May 2014 Part 5

Old 06-29-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Day 61, can't believe I'm starting on my 3rd month clean!

My Pop told me yesterday how proud he is of me for making it to my 60 day milestone. He says he prays for me everyday to just be ok. That meant a lot to me.

Have a great sober Sunday everyone
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Congratulations Amester, I hope to be joining you on 60 days next week!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Just had to write my drinking history for my appointment with my counsellor tomorrow. Not pretty. Going to try and watch some tv to take my mind off it.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My family is full of drinkers. We don't have family reunions very often but when we do it is a drink-fest. This was posted to our facebook event:

"There will be tons of free beer at this event...drive your behind to Colorado and say hello....bubbles liquor world and the Colorado {edited} are sponsors"

I may end up being the one sober person which could be interesting. I'm actually really looking forward to it, will just need to keep my guard up. Will be there 3 days and 3 nights.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Amester...woo hoo! Super proud of you, keep on being strong - you're doing amazing!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cahabr View Post
My family is full of drinkers. We don't have family reunions very often but when we do it is a drink-fest. This was posted to our facebook event:

"There will be tons of free beer at this event...drive your behind to Colorado and say hello....bubbles liquor world and the Colorado {edited} are sponsors"

I may end up being the one sober person which could be interesting. I'm actually really looking forward to it, will just need to keep my guard up. Will be there 3 days and 3 nights.
Cahabar, you got this, I will be sending u positive vibes for strength and resilience! I am sure u will have some good stories to share.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Minion and RecoveringMay!

I will be facing a very similar challenge this week Cahabr. Family is visiting from out of town and this place will be party central for a week straight. I used to very much enjoy drinking with my dad and brother and at family events and I am a little bummed that I can't take the week off from my recovery to do that. But we all know where one week of drinking could lead me and it's not worth it.

Stay strong, have a great time, and reach out for support if/whenever you need to. We're here for you!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Another beautiful weekend in the bag.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Sounds like a big red alert to me Cahabr and Amester. Sending you strength. X
Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning folks 46 days for me today. Real short work week!!! Looking forward to the holiday weekend! Stay strong everyone!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Saw my counsellor this morning. She's very nice but is really quite insistent about keeping up my aa attendance. I know it works for some people but I really don't feel it's for me. Suppose I'll go again but honestly it actually makes me uncomfortable, I find it so dogmatic and un-accepting of other routes to sobriety.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Gwen, I will def be posting here often this week for extra support, my best friend is on alert too and said he will come take me to lunch or whatever if I need to get away from everything here for a bit.

Congrats on 46 days BigC!

RecoveringMay, I'm sorry you're feeling pressure to do something that you don't feel is a good fit for you. I personally don't attend AA or NA for a variety of reasons so I understanding preferring to try other recovery strategies. I imagine there's nothing to lose by trying it out again as your counselor suggests but I hope that if you really feel its not for you that she can help you figure out what IS for you.

Day 62 here. I was talking about my relapse with my best friend last night and he said he didn't think I was ever going to get clean, it was so sad for him watching me pretty much kill myself. We were dating back then and i told him to move on because I would never be more than a junkie and would never be able to stay clean. Well I'm proving both of us wrong now and will do whatever it takes everyday to keep proving us wrong.

Happy Monday everyone! I'm sooo not busy today so I'm here if anyone needs me!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi all, day 46 (thanks for counting Big C!), full of cold or hay fever today not sure which it is but although groggy least Im sober and hangover free. Had a weekend off AA meetings and spent some quality time with my girls which was great. My sister came around and mentioned that they went to see The Eagles in the week in Manchester said it was a fantastic show and Im glad they had a good time, made me realise that I chose alcohol ahead of the tickets when they were on sale though- another regret.

Got friends trying to stay sober using different methods in the real world, hope we all stay on track. After today (one day at a time) Il have done the whole of June sober- I love that and hope for many more sober months and years ahead!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
After today (one day at a time) Il have done the whole of June sober- I love that and hope for many more sober months and years ahead!
Good point! Congrats to you and everyone else who made it the entire month of June sober! That was a first for me as well for a very very long time.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

@Recoveringmay-when I quit drinking just 46 days ago, everyone had a plan for me and most of that plan was AA. AA great for some but not for me. I feel THE SAME way you do. I'm the type of person who goes by the saying "no one tells me what to do." Do what you think is right for you. There are plenty of ways to kick this...just keep doing what you are doing!!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I'm exactly the same way TheBigC, it's so funny my best friend and I were talking last night about the quickest ways to tick each other off and he goes "all I know is to never tell you what to do." lol, my mom knows that too, if she wants me to do something she tells me to do the opposite. I'm pretty stubborn.

I fully support anyone who benefits from 12 step programs and the fellowships of those programs. But my personal approach to recovery is rather simple. My recovery is me deciding that I want a real, happy life, and understanding that drugs and alcohol cannot be a part of that life, and making the choice everyday, all day, to not drink or use. I have supportive friends who I can talk to when I'm having a little trouble making the best choice and they help keep me pointed in the right direction. That's just what works for me. Everyone needs to find the right path for themselves.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Ok guys...tonight I'm heading out on a date with a nice gal I met not to long ago. We are going to grab some dinner...and guess what...during our conversation today when we were picking a place to go and it randomly came up....music to my ears....she said "I don't drink!" Wow. Don't think I've ever heard that. Anyway...wish me luck (with the girl). I'm confident and not worried about being around alcohol. I've been in several social situations in the past two weeks and have no desire....but I won't let my guard down as I know the beast is only resting. I'll check in later.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Awesome! Excited for you, have a great time and def let us know how it goes!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Ok...the next time I post about going on a date with someone I met randomly please remind me of this day...there are some odd people out there. Lol. On the other hand my Red Snapper was cooked to perfection! Hope everyone gets a laugh out of this one. The gal neglected to tell me she was married until the food was on the table.....some people!! Lol.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

BigC I am so happy you can laugh about it and thanks for sharing. I have had some real deal breaker dates myself. All my best to you :-)