Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 12

Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

finally Friday! How is the son Tam? probably really sore I would imagine. As far as the bill goes just pay what you can, they try to pressure everyone to pay up fast, but just plugging along with small numbers works also.

Glad to see you Fallow and Gonzo!

Well my interview was yesterday and it must have went well as I received a phone call from the Commander, apologizing for short notice but they have picked a few from those interviewed yesterday to come back on Monday for another interview, this time with the Top bosses, the Sheriff, the Under Sheriff and the Lieutenant. Why the big 3 would be involved in an entry level position baffles me. I know there is a lot going on over there, several positions have/are coming open, one position I would apply for if I do not get this one, it would be better pay. Anyway trying not to let my imagination get the best of me. Here is where I need advice from my Decemberites again. Will it be time to tell my boss I am up for a position after this interview? He does not know about thursday's interview, in fact he is not aware that I have even applied anywhere. I do not know when or even if they would contact him, I did say on my application that they could contact him, I truly do not want to tell him until I have an offer, my husband says I should tell him when I get back on Monday. I would really appreciate your opinions on this.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Only tell him when you have an offer. That is my vote.

I'm calmed down about the money part, it was the initial "he is ok! Ok, he is ok!" And then the counselor was fighting with the ambulance driver that they were trying to gouge us and yada yada. Went to the dentist, he has a cracked molar but that is all, thank God. That will get fixed in three weeks. For now, he is resting and everyday looks better.

Hope every one is doing ok!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure how I missed your posts Tam but I'm glad he's ok

D
Old 08-15-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
p***enger

Me too, Tam. Sounds scary. I'm going to catch up late tonight or tomorrow, but for now just sending virtual hugs and good will!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Glad hes okay Tam.

Tazzle congrats on the next interview. Id wait for an offer as well.

Gonzo thats funny stuff makin sure the empties were cleared for the maids. Well funny and sad.

Happy friday Im goin home from work and goin to bed.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Taz

hey Fallow

D
Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey all! I was away for a few days & it's great to come back to see all your posts! Thanks for being here!

Fallow, how are you doing? 8/11 is a great sobriety date! If you're looking for extra daily support on SR, the One Year & Under Club is a great group, http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-36-a-17.html. Also every day I start my day by committing to 24 hours of sobriety on the 24 Hour thread which is just for me a good routine : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-11-a.html.

Taz, I agree with others about your boss. On this particular issue, he's your employer not your mentor. It's hard when relationships overlap. Congratulations on the call-back!

Tamerua, the episode with your son sounds emotionally exhausting. Your love for him shines through all your posts, even when he's driving you batty! I hope he's feeling better. Is he going to a small high school or a big one?

Gonzo, it's great to see you posting. I can imagine cleaning up for the maids. Although I worked as a maid as a teenager and I wouldn't have minded a few empties if you'd left me a 1/2 inch at the bottom. Maids see everything.

Ready, how are you doing? What are your plans once your son starts the school year? I imagine you'll have a lot more free time. Any projects?

I've had a couple of talks with a possible new AA sponsor -- we don't share a lot of common free time, which may be a good thing. Typically, I'm considering this relationship with all my walls up and fortified. My son is likely zipping through town tonight which will be nice although it also always riles up a lot of anxiety in me. Some days I have my doubts about whether I can maintain anything like sobriety and sanity, but I try to take the Scarlett O'Hara attitude, "I'll think about that tomorrow."
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Courage, I like the Scarlett Ohara attitude! That is beautiful. I'm good at telling others to "stay with your feet" or "you can't worry about that now. Work with what is directly in front of you" but man. I really need to talk myself down wih that one. Lol funny isn't it? So stay with your feet, seeing your son will be fun.

He is going to a big high school I guess. 2000 students, that is the average size in our area. He already knows loads of people there from middle school. Did I already tell this? We did orientation and I look at him, he is big. Like, tall and doesn't look 14... He is mistaken for 17 and 18 a lot. And I'm looking at the other kids.... And thinking, who are these babies?!?! Lol he has always been more physically developed but he is immature. I had to grow up fast so I guess I am glad he lived in a safe environment where he can afford to be a goofball.

Fallow, I like the suggestions courage gave. And of course visiting us!

About to go shopping and then running. Everyone have a great day!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hello all
Sorry been absent again.Had a really busy week now back home.School term starts this week. Planning my days courage

How is your son Tam? That must have been so worrying.I hope you get the financial stuff sorted too.

Taz-how is the baby? I wouldn't say anything to your current employer until you have an offer from the new place.

courage-how was your trip?

Fallow-great to see you posting

Gonzo-hope you're doing ok too

Just a quick check in.Will read properly later
Old 08-17-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi folks! I'm wasting my Sunday -- rewind, relaxing. My son spent just enough time last night to eat a lot, shower, sleep, and accept a small financial transfusion, then he was gone again. A couple of hugs were squeezed in, somehow.

The trip was really nice. It's astonishing to me how different my head is. I took almost exactly the same trip in August 2013 and I was a basketcase. I didn't write about it here because I had nothing to say. This time, I was able to enjoy myself. Crashing surf, tacos on the boardwalk, moonrise, storms in the night, sun on my stomach.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend. Looking forward to hearing from all and sundry here soon -- especially you, sundry! You know who you are
Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
p***enger

O PS and we saw a dolphin off the Jersey shore.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

crazy weekend, made the cross state trip to see granddaughter and visit for a few hours, made it home late last night, gave the house a very much needed cleaning today. Exhausted is the word for me now, told boss I have an "appointment" tomorrow and won't be in till mid morning. Trying hard not to over think and get ahead of myself for the interview. thinking it will be an early to bed, read a little and try to get a good nights sleep.
Apologize for not keeping with everyone this weekend, hope it all went well and life is good!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Apologies from me for not checking in more frequently. Now I am home I no longer have my mother to look after Jn RAL so I have to do my motherly duties. I read in the paper this week that it is bad for parents to play with their children. They need to play alone and with friends to develop independence, skills and also to realize that their parents and everyone else are not always there to do exactly as they want.I read with interest about people starting work who think the world owes them a living and they have no idea how to do things independently as their parent always do everything for them. So I'm not feeling bad now not playing with Jr Ral for once. I jest-I do play with him really

Today we went fruit picking-the blackberries are just becoming ripe though most will need another month. We've made apple and blackberry crumble and I've whipped up some cream to have with it. just had a sneaky piece and it's yummy though extremely unhealthy and high in sugar, carbs etc but hey fruit is good

On Weds my baby starts full time school.Can't believe he is nearly 5!! A new chapter. I worry-will he be happy,will he listen, will he be picked on, will he do his best,oh the stress At least he was at the nursery so knows all his classmates. Oh and he has a sober mother.

I'll have a period of re-adjustment ( doing not very much) and then be extremely bored and start looking for another job or something. Things come along when you need them-maybe it just wasn't the right time for me to get that other job that I didn't get. I always had a career till I had a baby and moved here. Then I was a FT mother.Now what? I'm 40 soon and feel a bit lost tbh

Courage- I'm so pleased you had a good break-that is one of the first times I've really heard you talk about being really relaxed- you sound like a different person How are you feeling? I hope you are refreshed and rejuvenated to start on your project again.

Tam-how's your son feeling? Did you hear anymore about the job? You are in a similar position to me then with your son starting a new school.Is he excited?

Dee- how did it go seeing your new place? I hope you got signed up with everything.

Tazzle- oh how lovely seeing the new baby. I hope your interview goes well today. I think you did the right thing just saying it was an appointment.

Hope everyone else is keeping well
Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

morning all, the interview with the big bosses went really well, it wasn't so much an interview as much as we discussed the job, what was expected, kind of a get to know me interview. I found out there is 2 openings, not 1 like I had thought and that they only brought back 4 people, so I have a 50/50 shot. Will find out this week if I go through the background check. It is very in depth so I imagine if I make that far I will get the job. I did ask when they were going to contact my employer, they said that will be after they get the packet back from me, so when I pick up the papers I will tell boss then. at least I think I will. Playing things by ear has worked well so far so I may just stay that course. Speaking of work, I had best get going. Catch ya'll later!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
p***enger

Fingers crossed for you, Tazzle.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all -- been kind of a week already -- prospective sponsor dumped me -- since my motives for asking her rather than someone I would actually trust or like were pretty crappy, it's just as well.

So... I got down on my hands & knees and asked former sponsor if we could resume working on the steps. She's seen most if not all my skeletons already, anyway. I don't know why I'm so attached to doing the freaking steps -- partly it's because I'm speaking at a meeting at the end of the month and want to be able to say I have a sponsor & am working the steps, partly it's because I'm afraid if I don't have concrete tasks to work on related to sobriety I'll float back the wrong way, partly I'm just compulsive, partly I've been bothered recently by memories that I don't really know how to deal with and I can't just go through the rest of my life pushing crap down -- I did that for half a century and look where it got me!

So.

What are other people's views on "working" on their mental health? Is it hard work, easy work, or not work at all? Is working on your mental health intrinsically rewarding, or an onerous task? Should we just all get over ourselves -- and if so, please, how?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

I don't know how you 'work' on mental health. Either the pills work or they don't. Stay positive or exercise to bump your endorphins/dopamine or something maybe, but its a chemical issue in the brain at a neurotransmitter level.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

What are other people's views on "working" on their mental health? Is it hard work, easy work, or not work at all? Is working on your mental health intrinsically rewarding, or an onerous task? Should we just all get over ourselves -- and if so, please, how?
I have to get over myself on a regular basis LOL but I'm not sure that's the answer for everyone.

Maybe because I'm not clinically anything and there's no pills to take, I have to work a little at pulling myself up if I get too low...sometimes work is the answer and sometime play.

The real skill for me comes in knowing what I need at any particular low point.

I'm lucky too in that I have Mrs Dee as a sounding board. There are no secrets twixt us.

D
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by gonzo4419 View Post
I don't know how you 'work' on mental health. Either the pills work or they don't.
That isn't really my experience. The pills are working on a lot of my stuff, but not everything. I have a lot of negative & deceitful habits of mind that I don't think are chemical -- I think they were acquired through my upbringing & through years of alcoholic, drug-abusing self-evasion. It's like my thinking is not only chemically damaged, but to cope with the chemical imbalance I've learned fairly twisted ways of functioning. Now that the chemicals are working better, I have to teach myself how to live and think in a more straightforward way. Does that make sense? It's surprisingly challenging for me.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Fingers crossed Taz!

RAL, I do believe that about playing with kids. I still play with my son but I'm his mom, not his friend. Of course, tell us a poo joke and that's it... We are cackling down the road. Picking blackberries, how fun!

Courage. I think it is great that you asked your former sponsor. I also don't have mental issues, not the kind you take pills for. I had to work at it... I was a very negative person prior to sobriety. Sobriety opened me up. Then the steps helped me let go of things... I had a tough upbringing and didn't realize how much I held it in until I did my 5th step. And a good sponsor who said, you have every reason to be resentful of that. And when it is time, let it go. I did. Hearing that alone helped me let it go. At least that had been m y experience: and I still react sometimes like I used to. I'm a living document! Lol and like Dee, I need to get over myself a lot.

No word on the job… I don't know what to say about that. The boy is fine he has his stitches, they come out sometime this week. We went to the dentist in there is not really a lot of damage.I also went jogging and wasn't eaten by a giant pit bull so I guess life is good!

Have a good one!