Notices

Class of March 2013 part 28

Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I think you still teach Gilmer. In just a different way. It's a good way.

Hi Babs, what did it? What thought popped in your head that said having a drink would be a good idea? We all have them you know. Anyway, let that one be your last one. If we have to have any 1's it might as well be the last one. So. You just had the last drink you will ever have. You okay with that? Say goodbye to it. Good ridence(sp?). Don't let the door hit the alcohol in the *ss. It's got to go Babs. It's gone. It's long gone. ((Hug)) Now. Moving right along. Another ((hug)). What are we going to do next time that voice says its a good idea? And I do mean we. I get them too. They just get farther and farther apart and much quieter the longer you go. Till the voice just is just a thought. It doesn't even sound like me anymore.

How's the sunburn Duff? You at the pealing stage yet. I hope it doesn't come to that. Slather on more goop.

Time to shower. Later friends.

xoxo
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gilmer, I feel you are feeling de skilled because you have come across a seemingly insurmountable roadblock. I think if you look back at your post you will see other reasons for your inability to move forward with the work.
Taking the pressure off yourself is the best thing to do, enjoy spoiling your granddaughter while she awaits her sibling, and when you are ready to return to your studies you may find a time lapse was all you needed to see it from a different angle.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

thank you Shoes---very good advice---going to give it a try. thanks
Babs
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Gilmer, (((hugs)))! I've gone through dry spells, too. My brain isn't as sharp as it used to be but it's usually better than I think it is. Sometimes we hit a spot where we need a break and when our brains don't seem to work, I suspect they have just gone on strike for a bit. It's good to listen to those signals and take a break to recharge.

Babs, I know this is a hard thing to do and each of us is different. I believe in you and am so pleased to see that you're coming back each time. I still find it difficult but I'm not about to go back there! (((Hugs)))!

Duff, sorry to hear about the sunburn!

Budd, you are becoming very wise in the way you think about alcohol. I really like your description about not wanting to have "Day 1 again". Thanks for sharing that.

And thanks to all of our Marchers for the caring and sharing you do!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

thank you Sass---yes, it's hard and I really hate myself for being so stupid. It just makes me mad cause I know that I have to start over and yet I still drink. Why can't I learn? It makes me mad ---I can do this and have been sober for 3 years. I need to get my act together.
and Need to get tough and stop feeling sorry for myself.
well, everyone----have a great day---life will get better.
Babs
Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Babs, you are NOT "stupid". I think most of us go through similar feelings and thoughts that we can drink moderately --and the majority of us cannot. The AV is incredibly sneaky playing its siren song to us. Part of the challenge for me is to recognize it and work at not listening to it.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

how true Sass---I do recognize it just have to learn to be tougher.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

I am now in the motel room with my 18-y-o son. We have just thoroughly enjoyed a four-hour road trip down I-81 (well, as much as that slow truck-filled road can be enjoyed) to SW VA, where he will soon be living. We listened to his playlist all the way down. Used to be that Led Zeppelin was his far away favorite--and he still loves them--but he also really loves Rush.

I had a Rush album when i was young, and never really got into it. That lead singer and his screechy falsetto was too much for me. But today my son was playing some of their later stuff (I stopped listening in 1981), and I was astonished! The guy can sing two octaves lower, and he's really good! Now I love Rush!

We also bonded over Neil Young. We both love Neil Young, because he's slow and bluesy and dark and whiny. I once heard his voice described as a "lonesome polecat." I asked my son if he had ever heard "Down by the River" from 1971. He said no. I demanded that he download it ASAP, for his own good. My favorite Neil Young song!

There was some weird stuff. I knew without asking that it was Radiohead! Both he and my oldest are big Radiohead fans.

Finally, 10 miles from the exit came the best good-time song around: "Long Time" by Boston! It finished up right before we got into the parking lot!

We stopped at McDonalds and for chips and soda. Then we smoked cigars! We had a fine time.

He's resting a bit now and chilling, then we'll get him gussied up in his khakis and hit a few places up for jobs. He saw a place he wants to apply, and I would like to get to the supermarket before 5.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Gilmer,

When I was bowling all over the country, I would get, and I saw it in others, what we called "brain fry". I think you may be experiencing that right now with your class load.

When brain fry came along, we would want nothing to do with bowling, if we tried to stick it out our games suffered. Usually a brief exodus from the game is all we needed. Two to three weeks off, not even going into a center and we would start raring to go again. After about a week of practice, just about an hour a day, usually we would be back in top form.

Take some time off, let your brain cool off, you'll know when you're ready to start up again.

Or as Bud Bundy said about his sister Kelly, the brain can only hold so much information, when a new thing is learned an old thing must be forgotten. Now I cant remember my name!!!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Sounds like things are going great Gilmer. Don't you feel just a little bit closer to him after being one on one with him. that's sooooo nice.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, Ken! I hope your Achilles tendon is recovering.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yes, Babs, I do feel close to him. We are going to send him off right!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

So my son and I are sitting ten feet from each other and he keeps snickering every ten seconds at his You Tube while I type away on my SR. I thought, "This is so cliche!" So I suggested we order pizza to be delivered and watch a movie together on HBO. At 6:15 we will watch Armageddon. Supposed to be kind of cheesy, but it's something neither of us has seen before.

So further mother-son bonding will ensue!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Want to know something funny? This low-budget Super 8 Motel has many more amenities than the supposedly fancy hotel I stay at when I go to Philadelphia for my annual eye exam.

At this cheap motel they have
1) a refrigerator
2) a microwave
3) a safe

Plus free wifi, a coffeemaker, and a hairdryer.

The only flaw with this place is that most of the outlets don't work. But we are tag teaming with the ones that do, so we're golden!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers It's another perfect day in Paradise so Toots you can stop worrying over me living in imperfection, I am living in perfection again. Really it is lovely, we are having temps of 24C in the middle of the days this week which is extraordinary for this time of the year. There you go: a photo taken over my right shoulder right now.

P1020261.jpg

Babs how are you going today? Life are you around? Has anyone seen V? I pmed her last night because I didn't see her yesterday.

Gilmer Wonder Twin Ken's story of "brain fry" really does make sense and, as Shoes suggested, teaching may come in another form. I don't teach in front of a classroom anymore either but I do teach in other ways -- I've just come from a challenge I'm running on the forum I work on and that challenge is definitely teaching.

Have a good Weusday peeps.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

gilmer, I think people have the gift to teach or they don't. those who have the gift will have ebbs and flows, and their effectiveness might fluctuate with effort as well, but it doesn't go away any more than you are going to forget that you like chocolate. (you do like chocolate, riiiiight? :-) what a lovely time you are having with your son, how cool!

babs, welcome back to the fold girl. please don't beat yourself up. it's really hard to keep slipping and beat yourself up. I've been there, many many times. please don't take this as me trying to tell you how to move forward, but i'll share what helped for me. after years of trying to control my drinking, and then trying to control my not drinking, then trying to control my mind in new and different ways and learn more about myself and what makes me want to drink, blahblahblah (it was as exhausting to feel as it was to type and probably is to read! : I quit trying to control it.

I can't control my drinking anymore than I can control the weather. I had to let it go. give up giving up. this **** is bigger than me. that led to looking to something bigger than me to control it for me. in my case, it's god. a big, loving, tree-hugging god. a god with a giant sense of humor, because as irreverent as I am, I'm still standing and haven't been struck by lightening. in fact, this god seems to love me enough to let me live through all the crap I put myself and my loved ones through. live long enough to try and make it right. try not to get impatient with them as they heal at their own pace, not mine, and sometimes act in ways I'd rather they didn't. emphasis on the word "try," of course.

wow, that was long-winded. it's what worked for me so far. i know that you will find something that works for you. (((((((((((((babs)))))))))))))

joygirrrrrrlllll, wow i missed that whole thing you went through, sorry! I'm super duper glad you didn't pick up. yeah, parents have a way of really getting under our skin. my dad and i will NEVER see eye to eye on some really important stuff, and it really hurts. i probably used to drink over it. but now i see him for the human he is. he disagrees with me, and it probably hurts him too. but he cares about me anyway. and he's a very old man, I'm not gonna have a grudge against a dude who's 83 years old. our parents are human, just like us, and they have their own baggage. I'm glad your weekend got so much better later!

life, donde estas?

shoes, i thought of you last week when i had to go shoe shopping! :-) bought my new summer hiking boots. they are purple. i think you might approve.

north, is it summer up there yet? :-)

sas, how's it going?

marcher, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!

budd, "brain fry" i like it. how's the foot? did you hurt yourself eating vegetables?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi, Life! How was your run?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
budd, "brain fry" i like it. how's the foot? did you hurt yourself eating vegetables?
Foot's feeling a little better, I think it was a combo of bad safety shoes and too many pillows, I wake up with my feet hanging off the bed and pillows sprawled out all over.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Babs...(((hug)))...
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy 14 months Toots

D