Notices

Class of March 2013 part 28

Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Another lovely day in paradise, I am about to run out the door to have my hair (on my head) and eyebrows attended to. That's what you do when you are 59 -- there is your answer Toots.

North I swear that pic looks like my brother and I circa 1960. The dog appears to have Pa's (as in grandfather's) pipe which would not have pleased either of them.

Joy, since it's still May 11th where you are it's still my birthday where you are, I would like a present of you posting here to let us know how you are. Hugs.

Ken I am glad your feet are better, we may be Wonder Twins as it shows in Dee's picture but it seems Wonder Twins can't wear high tops to work.

Have a good day peeps, have a sparkling mineral water on me since most of you are still having May 11.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Marcher, I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!!

Joy, how are you doing today? We're all thinking of you, friend.

Was it on this board someone mentioned DUI checkpoints? I was stopped at my very first one Saturday night! I was driving as hubby had had a few and drove right up - what a feeling! Better than any high or buzz from drinking.

The bad news is that I'm burned to a crisp from spending all day outside at the air show - urgh -- dratted irish skin! I put on 50 plus and reapplied, and reapplied, and reapplied, and still look like a lobster. Sorry about that little rant -- I'm just miserable when I'm burned -- just miserable! Ok, I'm done.

Off to start the week here. How is everyone doing??
Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Duff, I had a lovely day.

For your sunburn: pure aloe vera is about the best thing along with a coolish shower. If you don't have an aloe vera plant see if you can pick up the pure gel without additives. I hope you have a lovely broad brimmed hat, do take care of that lovely Irish skin.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you got burnt to a crisp, Duff!

Far be it from me to beat a dead horse. I promise that this is the last thing I'll eve say about "House of Cards." My 18-y-o watched both seasons of the Kevin Spacey version, plus the BBC version (TV watching is one of the many activities he did instead of going to class. :-/ ). He said the American version is 10x better than the BBC version. Just sayin'.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm back to day 1. I slipped yesterday---Mothers Day--Had a bad day---Daughter didn't call back and etc. feeling sorry for myself and I didn't prove a darn thing. But. I'm back in the saddle today.
I'm training in a new gal today so, won't be on till later this afternoon.
I know you don't have to tell me. I'm going to lick this ---truly I'am.
Babs
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marcher

You are all fantastic friends. Thank you for all the support and love. I'm ok now. I rode it out, showered and watched crap television till I fell asleep.

Mother's Day. I don't feel like I deserved a day this year. I was with my mom and she decided to kick me while I was down. But I know why... my sisters didn't do anything for her all weekend. Didn't even visit her. And she was missing her mom. And I was there, available for her to lash out at. Anyway, she apologized and we made up. I woke up Sun morn and went shopping and cooked her a lovely brunch, worked in her garden, swept out her garage, cleaned her bathrooms. I got her an Ipod and was finally able to get her account set up on itunes and we went through and bought about 20 songs, synced it and when I put the earbuds in and turned on the first song "The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel (her fav) her face lit up! She didn't expect it to sound so good. Then I taught her how to use the ipod, writing down the instructions. How to charge it... It ended as a good day with her. Then had to drive home in the rain, but it was nice to see my boys waiting for me with flowers and a yummy candle and sweet card.
So, all's well that ends well. Man, sometimes it feels like trudging through knee deep mud, getting through an emotional time.

Again, thank you all. The connection we Marchers have is quite a powerful thing, I think. If I hadn't stopped to think and post here, I may not have made a good decision. It took me only a few crucial seconds to decide to go forward rather than backward. Like walking a tight rope, I tell you! Love you all!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marcher

Mommy, when younger... She did some modeling and was spokesperson for a drugstore chain. She wore that silver thing on her HEAD! hahaha! The 60's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pageantmom.JPG (50.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad your day with your mom ended up good, Joy. I'm glad you were there to comfort her and bless her.

So nice about your boys, too! All of mine were home, too. They cooked me breakfast (well, my husband and one son did--the other two just "planned" and "supervised" and spoke outrageously rudely to me. So I out-ruded them. That's our love language.

Tomorrow my 18-y-o and I go with my oldest down to his town. The younger brother and I will stay in a motel while he applies all over the area for jobs. And then his older brother set him up on a blind date on Wednesday!

My 18-y-o is a shaggy, sloppy, reserved, introverted video game addict. He also considers himself a music conoisseur. I'm going down there to show him how to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as he glad-hands these potential employers. We were worried his personality wouldn't come across--not the most desirable job candidate.

Imagine our collective shock when he called the girl last night and suavely set up a date for Olive Garden Wednesday at 7! My oldest son came running out to us grinning and said, "He handled it like a BOSS!" Who knew? Hope they hit it off. Even if they're just pals, it'll be nice that he knows friends right off the bat in his new place.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow, Joy! My mom didn't look like that!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Marcher

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
My 18-y-o is a shaggy, sloppy, reserved, introverted video game addict. He also considers himself a music conoisseur. I'm going down there to show him how to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as he glad-hands these potential employers. We were worried his personality wouldn't come across--not the most desirable job candidate..
You just described my eldest son, who just turned 20. To a T!!!! hahaha!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marcher

My mom was in her twenties, with 3 children, at the time that pic was taken!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Duff, that was me who had the DUI checkpoint recently. Wasn't a great feeling to know you had nothing to worry about!

Joy, glad to see you and that things have calmed down!

Babs, I'm going to write this without thinking too much, hope it comes out right,

When I retired, I had the arrest and subsequent court dealings to keep me reminded of why I can't drink anymore.
After the money was spent and the hoops were jumped through, I felt myself thinking maybe I could have one on occasion. Then I though about the phrase "Day 1 again" I had to learn to absolutely hate that phrase. If I did a Day 1 again, in a few days I would have ended up thinking, "it's only a few days, I can start again tomorrow" and so on.

That has been one of my tricks when the AV starts up. My hatred for "Day 1 again"

Being someone who is always playing with numbers, I don't count days anymore, but on occasion I will figure it out, just to amuse myself.

While Day 1 is fantastic, Day 1 again doesn't need to be.

Hang in there and stay strong.

Hope everyone else is having a good day, foot is feeling ok, but not great by any means.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

oh Bud thank you---you are so right. You make me feel welcome. Day 1 doesn't need to be. thank you/
Babs
Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've been running from place to place all day. I will be doing the same in another town till Thursday night.

I talked to my husband and made a decision: I withdrew from my class. My brain has just been jello this time around. I have checked off all the homework and lectures, but have grasped nothing. I had a week left before the withdrawal deadline, so I went ahead and did it.

I hope in a month I will resume my studies with more gusto.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers A less than perfect day in paradise but that's OK I'm sure one of you has a perfect day.

Joy my sweet I am so glad and so very proud of you -- really and truly, I am.

Babs, have you bought yourself a nice NA drink? And maybe you need to empty some cupboards so you can't sabotage yourself in emotional moments?

Ken my Wonder Twin look after your foot.

Gilmer I think you made a good decision. Normally I would cheer you on and discourage you from pulling out but, in this case, I think you have made a wise decision. Use the time to get some fresh air and sunshine, that'll clear the cobwebs dear girl.

Dee how are you?

Have a good day peeps.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

good thanks Marcher

D
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey Babs, wise words from Budd there.

Marcher, an imperfect day in paradise?? How did that happen?? It was lovely here!!

Gilmer, I know you would not have taken this decision lightly, and I know you have struggled with this class, so I hope having some breathing space helps. It takes courage to admit you feel overwhelmed rather than just struggling through.

Joy your mum was gorgeous! My mum was a stunner too, unfortunately my genetics come from my dads side of the family, where the women just look stunned.

Duff hope the sunburn has eased, I was out all day yesterday ( factor 50 too) and I was surprised I hadn't got some sneaky burn but it all seems ok!

Life, Sass, Wehav, Shoes, I hope all is ok.

Mesoso, how did the job interview go??

Ben how are you doing?

North how's the rewrite going?

Any marchers I haven't named apologies x
Old 05-13-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

(Sorry in advance, Dee--I just posted this exact post in Undies).

After a lot of thought, I withdrew from my current class. I was going through the motions, but my mind wasn't grasping a thing. I don't know if it's the professor's style (certainly possible), or the dry academic-ness of the material (also a possibility)--or if my capacity for learning has just vanished! I kept reading the same sentences over and over and wasn't retaining a thing!

I am busy all this week--too busy to study--and then I have a new grandson coming. I know in the next couple months I'll be called upon to help babysit my granddaughter a lot. I think I will wait to resume my classes till I am really starved for them again.

I am really afraid that my academic gift has been whisked away as quickly as it was given. I used to teach classes, both for adults and teenagers; I put together study guides and taught an entire course that i designed.

Now I couldn't teach if my life depended on it! I have utterly nothing to say! I can't even come up with questions on a topic! My imagination is kaput!

"The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away!" I had the teaching gifts I needed for a specific season, and then the season was over and they went away. I wonder if the same is true of my scholastic career. I feel like my brain is suddenly made of stone!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Gilmer I honestly think you just need a break and this will come back to you. Do the best you can for yourself for a few weeks in your spring weather: food, fresh air, exercise, sleep. You'll be a new woman soon.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think your gift has been whisked away at all
I think perhaps you need a break too Gilmer... you may feel differently after a rest

D