Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 31

Old 04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

When i told my husband i was feeling down, he offered to come and work from home. I was so pleased i took him up on it. I've since had to go upstairs to listen to a lecture (too noisy for him to concentrate), but it's the thought that counts.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Carlos, I agree with Tanja -- don't worry about the blogging. I never liked the sound of a massive project for your house arrest term. It's setting yourself up with an expectation that can weigh you down, give you cause for self-blame, yada yada. I heard a lovely guy in an AA meeting last night say that when he first got sober, he'd said, what am I going to do with all this time? I'll go back to college, learn a language, etc. He said, you know what? I haven't done ANY of that! And why not -- because he's too busy.
EXACTLY!!

TODAY's BLOG: Total bummer, had a window from 2:00-2:15 pm to pop up and gather mine and my elderly neighbor's mail. Got busy on the phone talking to a man about a horse, or something like that and next thing I knew, it was 2:19. Called this PO for the umpteenth time and she basically said, too bad. So I did the next best thing. I asked for an AA meeting window for tonight. I was thinking I might chill on asking every day for this meeting window, but decided, Why not? So now I can grab my mail on the way to mtg. I was turned down on asking if I could hang with my neighbor for tea as we do a couple times a week and was turned down.(okay, so it's boring)

Lots of interesting posts here today:

TL, congrats on 4 months clean and sober.

Tanja, I know what you mean about the meetings being mostly men. From my rural home base the meetings are like 90% men. The women do feel slighted, cool that you had a reverse mtg! The ratio was much different in the urban areas during my travels. I'm glad that you and Tina are moving forward.

Air, thanks for your take...keep en coming!

MB, thanks for popping in. Glad that you are doing well! You look ready for some action...

Courage, various parts...promises, promises! Wow, sounds like you two had some fun!! Ahhh, to have been a fly in the park sniffing the RED filled air! You do know what a RED is?? Hey, what a cool idea of class collaboration buddy.

Gilmer, the gravy=tomato sauce isn't an indication of old age as much as "Old Country" Italian heritage to me. No nag offense on the blog...I was kidding too. Sweet hubby story...he deserves a reward

Siesta, your DIL is very lucky to have you in her life. It will pay off some day...16 is 16 is 16 too. Sorry, but I did have a slight chuckle when you said hubby was on the links v work. My ex could bust me easily on that, tan everywhere vs my left golf-glove hand. Upon my return home end of week..."Oh, honey, I worked my tail off this week"...It's in a golfers dna, we can't help ourselves...like booze, or biking

JJ, congrats on your NEW plan on keeping clean and sober.

LI, welcome, glad you have returned. Congrats on the 3 days sober!!

Hi Mags, great to see you SJ, what's up on needy front, Glee?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Carlos, what does "RED" mean? I have an idea what "censored" means!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

REDS

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...1&d=1398804376
Attached Images
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Look at all of us using solutions to our challenges instead of alcohol.

- Courage braved coffee and chit chat with Toots, instead of cutting herself off from people.

- Gilmer accepted hubby's offer to keep her company when she was feeling down.

- Carlos is invoking the AA fellowship to stay upbeat in a difficult situation.

- JJ is going to exist in sobriety with the zen folks during lunch.

- Cowboy is finding his way back to his religion, and "it's good."

- Siesta is willing to use her resources for boarding school for her troubled step daughter.

- dotty p is thriving in her work and eschewing that lure of "just one glass of wine."

- drake is ignoring the grocery display of alcohol and recruiting for sr chat meetings instead.

- DG is letting everything around her reflect the major changes in her - changing everything from her partner, to her wall color, to now her car.

- Tanja is deep in the service side of the fellowship and finding relief to her anxiety.

- BFree is playing with and setting a healthy example for the youngest of her family members.

- toots is tending to the undies in the nest, with service being a proven method to stay anchored in sobriety.

- I said no to Needyfriend.

(My sincere apologies if I overlooked your success. My mind is more of a sieve than a steel trap. Please post your successes and please forgive me).

Collectively we are making so many steps upward and forward. Breakthroughs like ours reveal bits of that color and texture in life that DG said she found in sobriety.

I like Courage's line that she's not sure who's driving the bus, but the ride is starting to get interesting.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

That helps. Thanks, GF and indirectly Courage: Life is an interesting bus! Mine is stopped at a terminal right now, but soon enough it will take off and I'll see some countryside.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Gilmer - I'm glad your day turned around. My hubby has been more apt to show his support to me in a tangible way, like yours did today, since I stopped drinking. I hope he'd say the same is true of me.

Tanja - I didn't realize that my suburban AA meeting's male to female ratio was the norm.

Courage - Smiles to you for opening yourself to the possibilities and vulnerabilities of letting someone into your life to walk and talk.

Toots - I always imagined you having dark hair, more like....

image-4173924081.jpg

I still feel proud of asserting myself to Needyfriend. Incidentally, Gilmer, my husband has told me that he thinks Needyfriend is over the top, and has asked me to tighten my boundaries with her for a while.

Her illness had me strung up with guilt, plus she was the only person who invited me and my son over for a second playdate when he was an autistic toddler, and I was a lonely stay at fine mom.

Maybe she saw me coming from a mile away? It's just as likely that I saw her coming from a mile away, due to my insecurities and codependency.

I am committed to not letting these thoughts turn into an alcohol binge. I'm going to check out tonight's 9pm chat meeting.

I love all of you who share this journey with me.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wonderful GF! It's good to be reminded of the steps we are taking to assure our sobriety.

I have to say I am definitely more Norma Jean that Betty Boop, but I am flattered to be remotely compared to either!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Late chec in today. Been sick and sleeping most if the day.
Looks like everyone has been busy posting.

Steve stick close and post often if you need to.

Toots and courage how cool you guys got to hang out

TL congrats on 4 months!

Glee great summary of all the positive things happening.

And hi to everyone else.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Sorry you're still sick, BF. Any news on your upcoming test?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations again TL

good to see you back lofty - you've been missed.

Good to see you too Jim - we keep missing each other

Sorry for all the strife at home Siesta. Do make use of all the support you have, including us.

Smelling wine is a risky behaviour for people like us - nothing is worth going back down that road

D
Old 04-29-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,
I'm sorry that I have not checked in for a while.
Today is day 400. I've been running a lot and hitting AA meetings. I have 3 races 2 5k's and a five mile cliff run in the next month. I've decided to train for a half marathon in Boston in October. I feel blessed to be living and enjoying a sober life. Yes I have my emotional ups and downs, but I try and live in today.
God Bless all of you.
Matthew
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi, Matthew! Thanks for checking in! We were all thinking about you at the time of the Boston Marathon, because we remembered how chilling it had been for you last year.

Glad you are doing positive things these days! I hope you'll put a "13.1" bumpersticker on your car!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Hi, Matthew! Thanks for checking in! We were all thinking about you at the time of the Boston Marathon, because we remembered how chilling it had been for you last year. Glad you are doing positive things these days! I hope you'll put a "13.1" bumpersticker on your car!
Thanks for thinking of me. My sponsor ran the marathon that day. It was good to see the city come together again.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good to see you, Matthew. Congrats on 400!

Gilmer...thanks for your response. I am also underway on a virtual masters degree. In fact, class is on right now! Not quite Biblical Studies, just business.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I admire you! I am useless at business! I can balance a checkbook, but that's about it!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you too Matthew

D
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello Lofty. Don't be discouraged. This time can be your perfect time to choose life and be healthy. Stay selfish and look within until you can heal, blossom and look outside.

DP
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Gleefan, I absolutely LOVE that you had the perfect line for each of us. You're so sweet and generous. It was very delicate. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
p***enger

Matthew, it's great to see you!

Siesta, your situation sounds very stressful. I wish you the best with it and hope your husband gives you a lot of support.

BF, I'm sorry to hear that you're sick again. I wonder if it's the same bug that never went away, & if you should see a doctor -- but I don't know if that's a reasonable thought, or my occasional random misguided maternal streak popping up.

Carlos, don't you be thinking about the cigs! I regret that I ever teased you about them!

Well, Undies, Toots-time is an intense experience, and I'm feeling a bit of a hangover from yesterday's high. I think some quiet and rest is in order for me, so I'll say "good night" to all of you, with great gratitude for your warmth, patience, and understanding.