Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 3

Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovemesomeokra View Post
overwhelmd - I have no experience with Ativan but I started getting shaky hands a couple of years ago. Didn't connect it at the time with alcohol withdrawal but now I know that's what it was. I don't remember how many days you've been since your last drink, but it's a very common symptom in early alcohol withdrawal. When I woke up last weekend after my slip up of drinking four beers, my hands shook that day and the next. This is my fyi, please listen to Adna, too.
Do you think it would happen after 13 days since a drink?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by izzy8 View Post
I'm really weary of pretentious-ness. Keeps relationships so shallow, wears me out.
Did I mention I'm a PK (preacher's kid)? Gotcha on the pretentiousness thing, Izzy, am well trained to be such. And Dee, as usual, has some good perspective. As does TS. This time around I'm in no hurry to let people know I'm determined to stop drinking. I'm just doing it.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

IDK, overwhelmd. Are you drinking plenty of water? I'm pretty sure shaky hands are also a symptom of dehydration. When my hands started to shake from alcoholism I thought that's what it was. It could also be nervousness, anxiety, all sorts of stuff. If it continues I'd def get a doc to check it out.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no Dr, and please see one if you're concerned.... but it's my guess you may have a sugar rush Overwhelmd.

step away form the candy

D
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4Surf4Life View Post
It's amazing how many times I have justified my drinking on the weekend by saying "It's OK, there's nothing I have to do today."

What this is really saying is "It's OK, NOBODY ELSE has plans for my time today."
Awesome insight, Surf. Writing it in my journal of things to read when I think I want to drink again. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
5 days today - Anyone suggest a good thriller movie on netflix?
Hey Mariah. Hope your headache's gone. Don't know if it's a thriller, but the first flik that popped in my head when you asked was The Departed with Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You MsOkra...Night All
Old 04-19-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Made it through another day. I considered yard work but nothing's growing yet and I just couldn't get excited enough to walk around picking up sticks. Instead, I mixed up some bread dough and yelled at my Kitchenaid. Tell ya, if I'd known all I was going to do with that thing was knead dough I would have gone with something better suited to it. Oh well!

Gonna visit The Family tomorrow. Not worried at all about drinking while there - dad's a long-time teetotaler, as I mentioned before - but decompressing after a visit has been a trigger for me in the past. Not sure how to defuse that besides imagining how disappointed my grandma would be if she knew I got drunk on Easter. Gonna have to just grit my teeth until I make it home, I guess.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Mariah- I'm sure you've seen your movie already tonite but I love "Heat"- it's pretty old but good.

Overwhelmed- hope your feeling better. I don't have experience w that one.

Kitten- I love to bake bread! Everything about it. Even if I don't eat it. Just like to make it. I use my kitchen aid to knead it too.

Okra- that's what we're planting a lot of- thankfully my h is in charge of that this yr. I'll stick to frying it up w my yummy Paula Dean recipe. And yes I do remember you being a pk. Thx for understanding. My parents are great people but the perfect facade wears everyone out. Part of my healing is going to have to be being ok w not looking perfect. I might have to cuss or something(ha ha).

Stormi- pls let us know how you're feeling tomorrow- you're doing great!

Hope everyone has an awesome Easter! Gnite
Old 04-19-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Dear Izzy,

I just want you to know that if you feel a need to cuss, I'm f'n down with that, dammit.

Sleep well.

Peace,
MsOkra
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

I prefer if you didn't tho - rules swear filters and such

D
Old 04-19-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hey all-

Just checking in before hitting the hay - had a bit of a scare at the game tonight. A friend who doesn't know I've quit poured half of her beer into a cup and passed it to me. Such a natural (and nice!) gesture and I was completely caught off guard. I stuttered something about how it was too cold for me to have a beer (lol, wtf?). She looked at me a little quizzically but took it back. After that, my thoughts vroomed around from "you idiot, you have ten excuses at the ready and THAT is what you said?" and "I don't have anything planned for tomorrow....so maybe I'll drink tonight and THIS will be my last night drinking."

Oof. What a head trip. But I was able to fight it, amazingly enough. It's the first time I've won that "this will be the LAST time" temptation battle. And I had a really fabulous time! If I had taken that beer, I would have been drinking all game, then ditched my friends to finish off at home. And woken up tomorrow feeling so brutally defeated, again.

I am so grateful that I made it. And I couldn't wait to tell you about it! Hope everyone had a good day. G'nite class!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Right, Dee. It's ok to cuss like a sailor in pm's tho, right?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Diva, WTG!! I don't think you're excuse sounded silly AT ALL. Tonight I had an outdoor meeting and although beer wasn't in the scene it was below sixty-five, breezy, I was in short sleeves and shivering, and as far as I'm concerned it was DEFINITELY too cold for a beer!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Administrator

The filter will still getcha, but yeah PMs aren't moderated and we can't read 'em...unless someone reports one to us.

D
Old 04-20-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingDiva View Post
Hey all-

Just checking in before hitting the hay - had a bit of a scare at the game tonight. A friend who doesn't know I've quit poured half of her beer into a cup and passed it to me. Such a natural (and nice!) gesture and I was completely caught off guard. I stuttered something about how it was too cold for me to have a beer (lol, wtf?). She looked at me a little quizzically but took it back. After that, my thoughts vroomed around from "you idiot, you have ten excuses at the ready and THAT is what you said?" and "I don't have anything planned for tomorrow....so maybe I'll drink tonight and THIS will be my last night drinking."

Oof. What a head trip. But I was able to fight it, amazingly enough. It's the first time I've won that "this will be the LAST time" temptation battle. And I had a really fabulous time! If I had taken that beer, I would have been drinking all game, then ditched my friends to finish off at home. And woken up tomorrow feeling so brutally defeated, again.

I am so grateful that I made it. And I couldn't wait to tell you about it! Hope everyone had a good day. G'nite class!
Well done you DD! Who cares what you said, you DID IT! But I have to admit it did make me giggle

How is everyone feeling this morning.

This is such a roller coaster of a ride isn't it. Felt shaky last night, but feeling on top of the world this morning- dancing round the kitchen making pancakes with my girls.

Happy Easter everyone
Have a great day

Old 04-20-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Been on a two week binge. I'm hating myself. Up at 3 am and unable to sleep now because of how I feel. Hopefully this time is for real. Joining this class and will be doing things differently this time. I realize meetings are a must for me. I'm done fighting the idea I don't need them. Ugh. Trying to go back to sleep
Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

DD, I think that was pretty quick thinking on your part. You could have said "No thanks, my dog no longer likes the smell of beer" or something else stupid -not that I have ever done that -LOL!. Seriously though, it's still to me- whatever works at the time- Hope you have a great Easter Sunday-(it's 5:10 a.m. here in the Heart Of Texas ( H.O.T.)
Old 04-20-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back amanda

D
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Aww Dee, thanks. Houses always so kind to me, and I am always such an epic disappointment.