Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 11

Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This is where a spiritual solution helps Kadi. It allows us to acknowledge that we are powerless to control every aspect of our lives, events, etc, and "turn things over" to a higher power. Then we don't worry about it or obsess. Makes for a much easier way of living. I hate to see you struggling when there's a way forward.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Some regrettable things you just gotta power through the aftermath, Kadi. At least that is how it is for me. Talking about it just makes me feel worse. Last week is the past. It's gone. Do stuff. Think about now and the future.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Advbike--yes. I've never had trouble accepting a HP, but struggle with being consistent about staying connected to my spiritual side. I did one of the Deepak Chopra audio meditations today and felt a lot calmer, then read an excerpt from The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo. There's a poem or such for every day of the year, then some discussion and meditation activity. Today's thought:

All of the buried seeds
crack open in the dark
the instant they surrender
to a process they can't see.

Part of the discussion afterwards says "As a seed buried in the earth cannot imagine itself as an orchid or hyacinth, neither can a heart packed with hurt imagine itself loved or at peace. The courage of the seed is that once cracked, it cracks all the way." I thought of what Orinthology wrote about feeling peaceful the other day.

FG--also yes. Sometimes we have to just soldier on through the muck. I went for a walk today with a friend and decided before I met her this afternoon that I was not going to talk about anything depressing. We had a nice time looking at all of the houses in her neighborhood and laughing about inconsequential things. Sometimes the best medicine is to fill the mind with other thoughts.

I was thinking today that this stupid work thing is kind of a wake up call to get centered and take care of my mind, body, and spirit. If I do nothing, and continue to focus just on work at the expense of other aspects of life, then it will probably happen again at some point in some shape or form. I also realize that I still need to deal with some core childhood issues, such as not feeling heard or not feeling it is okay to express anger or disagreement.

Thanks, everyone, for listening to all of my drivel for the past few days. I very much appreciate that this is a safe place to share.

Elseware, how is it going in California? Do you guys have an idea about what kind of property you're interested in?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you feel a little better today Kadi

George, where have you got to?

D
Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am the same way about people being upset with me, Kadidee. I find it almost intolerable. And it gives those other people so much power over me. I can't begin to tell you some of the awful things I've done in the past in the name of "Oh, please don't be mad at me!" I'm glad you've been going over and thinking about some of the more positive things going on for you this week. Is it really going to matter if those women are upset with you? I wish I could stand up beside you and face them right down.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It is a most gorgeous, splendid green place here in California in early spring. It is dry, though. Shasta Lake is pitiful and the Sacramento River? Dare I say it? You could **** across it. But they've has some spring rain and it's green, green, now. We're looking around in Petaluma and Sonoma but who knows? I'll know when I see it. I want to look in Butte County. Things like this have a way of working out. But I can see this will take time and it's going to cost a fortune. It sorta seems exhausting to actually pick up and move now that we're actually shopping. It s a lot of work to breakdown a ranch

But it's been great to see the family. although, I had to hear the criticisms of my new look. Some good. Some not so much. I say keep thy mouth shut if you don't have anything good to say about a person's look. Specially if they can't do anything about it right at the moment. But, oh hell. I think I look swell. That's all that matters really
Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks Kadi - I loved the seed metaphor and your interpretation. Sounds like you're putting in some good effort on what's troubling you and you're on the right track. I don't like people to be mad at me either.

You too Else... thanks for pointing out how much power we give to others as a result. My brother is a pro at pushing my buttons because when we were kids he would have emotional outbursts so I learned to not upset him, at my own expense. Of course I also have limits and once I get pushed too far - by anyone - I can react pretty strongly.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
I say keep thy mouth shut if you don't have anything good to say about a person's look. Specially if they can't do anything about it right at the moment. But, oh hell. I think I look swell. That's all that matters really
Doggone right, Else! You mentioned it was cut in the style of Robin Wright on "House of Cards." I think that is a rockin' hair-do! I cannot remember if I mentioned that I binged on "HoC" a couple weeks back. (Season One, that is.)

I've had a really good day. Went to Wisconsin to sign my tax returns at the hometown accountant's office and spent some time with my parents and my brother and his family before returning for a good workout, good conversation and now ready for a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow is a semi-lazy day. Workout, groceries, laundry. Am reading "Confederates in the Attic" -- fascinating!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Else, I bet your hair looks fantastic. In any case, the most important thing is that YOU like it. I haven't seen House of Cards yet, but I've heard it's really good. Another one for the Netflix queue.

V, I bet it feels good to have your taxes done. Mine are prepared but not yet in the mail, so it's still hanging over just a bit.

Advbike and Else--on giving away our power...I'm glad you brought that up. I forget that's what I'm doing in situations where I'm worried someone is mad at me and running around apologizing. I think this has to do with working on healthy boundaries and being in touch with / owning what we're feeling, and standing by those feelings even when it's uncomfortable.

How is everyone else this weekend? George, I hope you check back in to let us know how you're doing.

Dee, congratulations on seven years!! Amazing and inspiring.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks Kadi

D
Old 04-06-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Dee, congrats on seven years. Thank you also for all that you do to make SR the wonderful place that it is. The support and care you show all of us is truly amazing.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks so much for the kind words Ornithology

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-06-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Congrats, Dee! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Venecia

D
Old 04-06-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Dee, 7 years! Congratulations! You have really found your way. And you help so many people with your gentle ways and wise words. I don't know what we'd do without you. Truly, I don't.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks very much Else.

I think you guys would be just fine, but it's still nice to hear

D
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks very much Else.

I think you guys would be just fine, but it's still nice to hear

D
Old 04-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Congrats again Dee - wonderful feat and I sincerely appreciate your help and contributions.

In laws up this weekend. My father in law was drinking scotch and whiskey in my house. I found my thoughts change around alcohol. I am not sure if this is envy at this point but I am more irritable.

I am also reminded of the progress but also the journey vs the destination. I can see myself looking outside myself and the addictive mindset in others. I realize this is not healthy. I got away from meditation this weekend and about to begin a 30 minute session now.

I am spinning tomorrow AM. I am looking forward to getting back into triathlons and beginning to build up my core muscles for cycling.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks to you too JD

D
Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Venecia's Made-Up Breakfast/Snack/Light Dinner Delight

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Couple dashes of nutmeg
1/2 cup cottage cheese*
1 medium-sized banana
1/8 cup almonds

Combine almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg in food processor and grind to small bits. (Or do it with larger quantities and then measure out 1/8 cup.) Mix with cottage cheese and sliced banana. Filling and healthy! Enjoy!

Calories = 258

* I used the higher fat content Trader Joe's cottage cheese, which I bought in error but the overall content is still pretty healthy.

Tomorrow's breakfast variation: mix 1/8 cup almond mixture with Fage fat-free yogurt and 1/3 cup strawberries. About 50 fewer calories.