Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 7

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Happy Passover!! Enjoy your juice, Say Anything.

This Sunday will be my first family holiday without drinking. My step mother typically buys very nice wine for family get togethers. She and my dad enjoy sharing it with Hubby and me.

I haven't told them I'm not drinking on Easter. The first day of my sobriety was at her birthday celebration on Feb 1. (That's not my sobriety date because I drank a few weeks later).

My father and step mother are not supportive of me. They are argumentative and controlling. They will not have a sober Easter; they wouldn't help me if my life depended on it.

Sobriety this weekend will come from within. Knowing I'm a non drinker. Knowing alcohol doesn't work for me. Playing the tape all the way through to the end. Shields up. Outsmarting the scorpion. Writing a list of bad results of drinking. Etc.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

DI, Good on venting. Just ignore them. Know that you are out soon.

Glee, my first Easter without drinks at inlaws. Inlaws love the drinks. They has my favorite. Southern comfort. They also don't think I have a problem. We've been working on that. The Grandma quit years ago for diabetes. Said she never missed it. The grandpa still drinks and until recently, smoked. They in 80s. They think I'm all fine and easy to be by drinks cause grandma did. They think I have no issues with hubby drinking, cause grandma didn't. I'm jealous. I'm working on it.

I have a Easter tape. Thanks to drinking in the morning before Easter two years ago. Broke something in the bathroom, sweared a lot, drunk danced with tipsy grandpa, hubby fit over having wine with dinner in front of them. Ugh. They still thought that was OK.

Last year I sat frustrated with bits of drinking till I got home for shots.

This year? No drinks. I may be bored, but not annoyed or out of control.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post
Need to vent. . . Just overheard the problematic female co-worker talking about me in the hall. I am so over it. I was coming around a corner and could hear her. I just walked right passed and looked her directly in the eye without saying anything. Looking forward to positive changes ahead!
Way to stay strong.

Is this the former friend or someone else?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Way to stay strong. Is this the former friend or someone else?
It was the former friend, and a girl that she used to say bad things to me about all the time.

Four more weeks, four more weeks. . .
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post
It was the former friend, and a girl that she used to say bad things to me about all the time.

Four more weeks, four more weeks. . .
Focus on the 'former' part, put them behind you and move forward. You don't ever have to deal with these people ever again if you don't want to, and they have to live with themselves.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Oh and Gleefan massive congratulations on continuing to stay strong through all these trying circumstances. Each victory adds a link to the armour!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hmmm, DI, maybe she will skulk to you with an apology. Way to take the high road. She's not worth it.

Hope you guys make it through the holidays ok. It will feel great being in control, won't it?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
This Sunday will be my first family holiday without drinking. My step mother typically buys very nice wine for family get togethers. She and my dad enjoy sharing it with Hubby and me.

I haven't told them I'm not drinking on Easter.
Im gonna have the same issue. Dispite all the crap thats gone down my parents insist on believing that my drinking is fine and I just need to moderate. My last drink was at their house and it was a six pack and a litre bottle of spirits. Followed by a terrible hangover that meant I missed spending time with my brother who I only see every 4 years.

They believe that an alcoholic is a old guy who lives on a park bench and drinks from a paper bag. Its frustrating. But Im not drinking and that's final.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Very glad alcohol is not involved in our Easter. If someone opened a nice bottle of wine to go with dinner I would be jealous. Stay strong everyone!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Gazza View Post

Im gonna have the same issue. Dispite all the crap thats gone down my parents insist on believing that my drinking is fine and I just need to moderate. My last drink was at their house and it was a six pack and a litre bottle of spirits. Followed by a terrible hangover that meant I missed spending time with my brother who I only see every 4 years.

They believe that an alcoholic is a old guy who lives on a park bench and drinks from a paper bag. Its frustrating. But Im not drinking and that's final.
Keep your resolve. Looks like lots of us in the same boat.

Febbies, we can do Easter sober. Just tell those who push drinks, or want to discuss it that we aren't drinking, and the topic is off the table.

Moderate drinkers don't get it, heavy drinkers want company.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there are family commitments you can't get out of over Easter this link can help - it's for Thanksgiving but it works for most social occasions:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I really need to go to the grocery, but when I was compiling a list my AV kicked in. Toast is fine for dinner (bread is about all I have left in the house). I'll tackle the grocery later. This time of night used to be about the time I would open a bottle. Thinking it's not so safe to pass the wine section right now. :-)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hello all!!! Just checking in. I saw I have not visited Sober Recovery since March 24. Wow. I fell off the wagon March 26 and 28th, but have not drank since then. Looks like everyone is doing good!!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back on track Jenny

D
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good to see you back Jenny!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Jenny!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Jenny.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thanks. Both times were when someone made me upset. I need to stop using it as a crutch.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Welcome back Jenny. It's good news you are coming back.

Don't be afraid to lean on us Febbies the next time you feel triggered. Maybe we can help you get through it.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Jenny - Glad you're back. Next time you're upset, come here and hash it out with us. If you have a craving, reach out for support. We never get tired of reminding each other what tools we can use to stay sober through a trigger.

DiggingIn - You made it through a tough day at work. Nice job recognizing that your sobriety comes first. Groceries can wait, and toast will do.

Torn & Gazza - It's interesting how our families are ok with our drinking.

Dee - thanks for the link in surviving the holidays. Very useful information. I especially liked that it gave me "permission" to white lie about why I'm not drinking (antibiotic, diet, etc). I appreciated the reminder that it isn't always emotionally safe to share our recovery with certain people. Boundaries are important!

Say Anything - Was tonight the Seder? When is the snow expected in your neck of the woods? It has been extremely windy in southern New England all day, and tomorrow we are expecting lots and lots of rain.

SoberLeigh - How are your allergies?

LonelyShadow - I appreciate your encouragement, as always. I hope the job is treating you well. Remember, sobriety first!