Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 10

Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

She'll love you for your Frito breath, JL and she'll get strength from your strength. Hang tight and all will be well!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

JL, I hope your wife is doing okay today. Good choice fritos over vodka.

DD, How are you feeling leading up to the girls weekend and spring break at your parents?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Thanks all...well...I actually got an e-mail from my daughter asking me how long I will be here...so, we shall see! In San Diego at hubby's parents' now...Mom is sooooooo frail. Diagnosed with mono about a year ago....so sad. Up since 3:30am...meeting with the Provost is today at 9:00am. Just hope I don't get lost getting there! Wish me luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Good luck at the provost, you have our support. Sad that as we get older, our parents are at that age. Sometimes I do wish we lived closer but we had to go where the jobs took us. I think the days of staying in your hometown are over.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

JL, I hope your wife is feeling better today. It's true that she'll get strength from your strength, so keep up the good fight.

Trudging, best of luck at your meeting today! Keep us posted. Sending positive vibes your way.

I read that today is International Happiness Day. Make sure you do something nice for yourself. Staying sober for the day seems like a great start

DD, is your girls' weekend this weekend? Is it still going on? I know you said some people were bailing.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

JL - hope the wife is feeling better! You take care of those babies so she can get some rest! ((hugs))

Trudging - ooooooh, I so hope your daughter wants to see you while you are in town! fingers crossed! and good luck today!

Sparrow - cool info on Happiness Day! It's supposed to be sunny and beautiful here in KC on this first day of Spring so I am thinking I will have all the makings for a great day...
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Ok! Happiness day it is - thanks for that, LS!

Good to see you all. I've been lurking, bought a car yesterday - what a grueling process, even for a 2011! I don't want to do that again for a long, long time.

Trudging, crossing my fingers for an amiable provost visit and daughter meeting.

JL - mmm, Fritos. If you can find them, the tapatio Cheetos are amazing. Way better than vodka and no hangover.

Have a super day everyone!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Hi, all! Happy Happiness Day! Yes, I am leaving for my girls weekend tomorrow. I feel confident that I won't drink. I am looking forward mostly to getting away from a grueling schedule that I have had as of late.

Trudging, I have high hopes that your daughter has a change of heart! You have done so well on your trip. I am proud of you!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Trudging good thoughts for you today, and hoping your daughter will get to see you. Boss tried to do me a favor by taking me off of the EMS schedule because of wife/ER visit. She then forgot to tell me. Got up drove to work this morning to find I'm not on the schedule. Kind, but ridiculous. Still,... Took wife to the doctor, and now at her first chiropractic visit. Doctor told her that her scoliosis(spelling?), is getting worse at the ripe old age of 30, and it's possibly pinching nerves. Obviously work/ kids/ hereditary bad nerves are contributors also. Just hoping we can get her to feeling better. She really IS a better person than I am. Doesn't deserve to feel bad.
On a lighter note, hope everyone's day goes ok !
Old 03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

JL, sending good thoughts to your wife, you and family!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

JL, your wife obviously thinks that you are something special. Believe her!! Hope she feels better soon!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

JL, you spelled scoliosis correctly I have it too. Mine's not too bad (yet?), just uncomfortable. Doctors say it isn't painful - they are full of it. Maybe my spine itself doesn't hurt, but everything around it sure does. I have a massage therapist, yoga helps, and I even have an inversion table so I can let some muscles relax and others stretch. I use a foam roller (the best thing I've ever spent money on), and sometimes just laying on the floor with a tennis ball under the knots works. I often wonder about seeing a chiropractor. I'm curious as to how it works out for your wife. Hopefully something helps. Ouch.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

I used a chiropractor when I was training for the marathon in 2010. I was having issues with my hips which in turn gave my knees issues. It helped but I think the stretching they had me do was the best thing.

No word from WhoDey lately? I'm sure Driver is in good hands with the family.

JL, Take care of that wife of yours. I'm sure she will appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Love chiropractors, IF you find the right one. I went to one a LOT for neck problems. No jerking type....it was great! Well, made it to the meeting. Provost wanted to hear "my side of the story". Said she hasn't spoken to the other parties involved (in SIX MONTHS??? REALLY???) Anyway, bottom line is she will make a decision in 10 days. Seems as though they will "reinstate" me and provide a "mentor"....I was fine with that....I have had two coaches in years past, and received rave reviews. Typically, I do more work than they do in their own classes. It is a bit insulting, having to "build back up" to my previous status (it seems, but....I can be humble. I told the Provost that this is a matter of principle and my professional integrity....I will continue to pursue this if I need to do so, since I have nothing to lose. Apparently, I am the FIRST adjunct faculty member (out of about 2600) who has EVER taken non-reassignment to this level. Soooooo the Senate rep. says I am "paving the way". That's fine too. Yes, it is tough to see my mother-in-law in her current state. She used to outlast even the kids. Hubby is really struggling as he doesn't know if this may be the last time he sees her. JL...hope your wife feels better soon! DD...have fun this weekend. I am sure that you won't drink either No more from my daughter....only a few days left during which I may have any time....I am really sad about this....but...things happen for a reason. I am where I am supposed to be at this very moment. (BUT, I sure wish I was back in CR at the beach....lol....
Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Tobers . . .

Still here. Some days are good, some days aren't. Lots of work; too little down time.

Strugglin' a bit . . . well, a lot.

Fishy
Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Scrambling to pack for my girls' weekend. Feeling strong and ready for a break! You guys were right on with "outing myself" before the trip. Even if I wanted to drink, I would not because I would be too embarrassed in front of my girls. So, no worries there! Ex-landlord still in incommudicado. So frustrated with her craziness!!

Hang in there, Fishy! My sobriety journal really keeps me on track. It is where I keep a list of all my disastrous drinking escapades, how miserable I felt in the drinking cycle and how hard it was to quit in the beginning of sobriety, so whenever I feel temptation creeping in, I look at it and remind myself how much better I feel now at almost 6 months sober. Once you get past the 3-4 month mark of sobriety, it really does get easier and it consumes much less of your thinking. It really is just becoming my way of life.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hey Fishy, I know you don't get here often but maybe it's time to step up the support? What's triggering you or what is bad that is causing you to drink? I didn't need good or bad things to drink, I just did. I agree with DD, after a certain period of time the thoughts subside. Sure I still think about drinking but now it isn't my "go to" thought like it used to be. Plus I realized that drinking was a big part of why I wants happy or didn't like myself very much.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Fish- we are here for you ! I'm sorry you're having a bumpy time. Were thinking about you.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Fishy, hang in there! You can do this! We are headed from San Diego to Oxnard today. Sooooo tired of this...but grateful for family!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Okay 48 hours and I'll be on the ship. I remember a cruise a few years back where I actually was stressing about going because I was worried about how I could get my drink on without my wife noticing. Going now is so much more relaxing with no worries about drinking at all. Unlike early recovery my sweet tooth is all but gone so no worries about overdoing it on desserts either. Life is way better with out being held captive by alcohol.