Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 11

Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday all. Well looks like spring finally showed up. cleaned our flower beds and trimmed back the roses last night. Daffodils and tulips are popping up everywhere with no sense of order what so ever, chaos in the flower beds. May get out the herbicide tonight and nuke all weeds and grasses that displease me, its disturbingly satisfying watching them curl up, turn brown and die, like the wicked witch of the west in Oz,,melting oh I'm melting!

Napster- good luck with your interview! I haven't heard if I made the cut yet for testing. I was told there were previous issues with the City HR hiring process (job advertised for 1 day, closed and someones mother hired the next day) so they are sending all applicants to an out sourcer. I have made the decision not to tell my boss anything until I have heard if I test or not. He works closely with the city and this area is to small to not have someone say something to him if my name pops up at all. I would rather he hear it from me, and I will hope he is true to his word about being okay with me getting a better job. We shall see.

I have started to read a book I heard about the other day.

10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story: Dan Harris: 9780062265425: Amazon.com: Books

I am not big on self help books, (never read one actually) but this struck me as something I could benifit from. Will let everyone know what I think of it when I finish. So far an easy fun read, his history with drugs and depression, will keep ya'll informed.

Okay back to work for me!

RAL- how are you? thinking of you a lot and sending my best.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
p***enger

Tazzle, I hope you make it to the next stage with your application. Your plan with your boss sounds like a good one. If you make it to the test stage, maybe you can frame it with him as seeking his mentoring as you move forward?

Napster, good luck with the interview. It would be hard for me to judge in your position whether my reactions at work were rash & influenced by early recovery, or reasonable. Is there anyone you're bouncing your thoughts off of, who you can be honest with?

Ready, how are you & husband?

I'm pretty good. Went to an AA meeting tonight. As usual at this time of year I have a major conference coming up that I'm starting to dread -- lots of triggers, people, places, things. The best thing about it this year is that it coincides with a period of time when my husband will be out of town -- being on my own at a conference actually sounds less scary than being on my own in my apartment in NYC. Well, I get to do both. Or maybe I'll invite the minder to come stay with me.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Not been around much-busy few days.Just to say thanks for all your kind words. Mr RAL is fine-he has some acid/GORD problem which we knew about anyway but that is causing the throat problems. Just grateful it's nothing more serious.

Hope everyone is doing ok
Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
p***enger

Ready, I'm glad that your husband's problem isn't as bad as you'd maybe feared. I hope tho that this scare will help him stop smoking -- I'm sure you hope so, too
Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi all!

Busy the last few days.

RAL, I'm glad to hear it's that and not something worse! That's great! How is Jr RAL?

Courage, OMG. Would your minder come over to your place? I would love that. I picture you cooking quietly while she chats about a sleepovers and Sex in the City. Hope you're doing well.

Napster, yes. Family businesses. Sigh. They have their perks and then they have... The owners. Lol good luck on the interview, you have your accent working in your favor! And then we know you're smart and witty. You got this.

Taz, I agree with everyone, that is a solid plan on telling your boss if you get to the next level. How long have you worked for him?

Gonzo, hope you and the kitties are well.

Marria, it has been a while, you doing alright out there?

Hi Alice and Dee!

As of last night, I am on step 10. Wowzers. And courage, you had asked if I sponsor yet and I don't yet.... A girl came into my home meeting and said she needed a sponsor and couldn't find one because she was atheist but I couldn't sponsor yet. I talked to mine after and she said to go for it but I haven't seen the girl since. We will see I guess. Lol

Work is actually going well. I don't know. I had an epiphany about my boss and team. With my boss, tell only the good stuff. He isn't going to support me with the bad because that to him is bringing him problems (or working as some of us call it lol). With my team, I tried a new strategy, it was dramatic but it works. My favorite person is posting though, but it is better that way.

Now I'm rambling. Off to work, today isn't a running day (running 4 x's a week to train for the 1/2). My partner bought me a fitbit and it will be here in a week, I'm so excited!

Everyone have a good day'
Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Quiet around here! Everyone cooking corn beef and cabbage?

Did my run today and then I have to get home, clean and cook. I have an AA friend coming over for dinner with his girlfriend. He is closer to my age than most of the guys in my home group (I'm 37 and he is 30, most of my home group are retirees).

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey Tam, I'm here! I believe you'll have 15 months tomorrow???

I just got a call that an event I was supposed to attend for work doesn't need me, so I'm rearranging my schedule for the day -- will head to my office & try to catch up on posts fro there.

Hugs to all!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
p***enger

Well I'm sitting here at my desk on a beautiful Saturday where I ought to be writing a grant proposal that was supposed to be submitted yesterday but ran into a snafu that falls on me to fix. I'm using petty resentments about somebody close to me who fumbled on this project several times recently as an excuse not to work and run through my list of bad ideas instead: drinking, smoking, crashing on sugar and caffeine, pretending I'm still 16 and punk rock lives. Ridiculous I just need to start. When I start to work, I'll go into a flow state and when I finish I'll feel completely differently.

Enough about me. I've been thinking about this thread and our little group of comrades who started in Dec 2012. (BTW, more about me, I have a whopping great 40 days without a drink today.) I guess I don't want the thread to fizzle out, although I know that happens -- maybe with most of these classes. But then I just looked at other daily threads, and there's one from 2008 that people still post to (even tho it's only had 450 posts in the last 4 years), and one that started in 2011 that's still pretty active. So that gives me hope. I hope people from Dec 2012 will stick around SR & remember to check in here as often as needed. For me, that continues to be pretty much every day -- sorry if you're all sick of me (ignore button, anyone?)

xxxooo Dec family -- I think you all know my name is Sarah.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I don't get sick of you Sarah and I check back daily. I don't always post in the class daily, but I read. You all are the ones i am closest to on the boards. and yes, tomorrow is 15 months!

It is a beautiful day. Enjoy it! And then do your proposal. Lol
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's been a busy week for me, but glad to catch up here

Good luck with finding a new job Nap - the phone thing would be a no deal for me too.

Best of luck with the certification Taz

I think this is still one of the most consistently active groups Sarah - it's a long way off Last Rites yet I think

Congrats on your 40 days too btw - and a big congratulations to you Tam on 15 months

RAL I'm so glad things are better than you feared - GERD is annoying but manageable,. If he can quit smoking it will really help

D
Old 03-15-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks for being around, Tam. I hope you enjoy dinner with your AA buddy.

I got my work done. It reads well but I never felt the flow -- every sentence was like squeezing blood from a turnip. I just need to get through a few more hours and another day will be done. I'm using every tool I have today -- going to go try to think up a poem, sometimes lately that helps.

Dee, thanks for checking in with all of us!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I always just assumed we were a smaller class because who is crazy enough to give up the sauce right before the holidays.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
p***enger

How goes, gonzo?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
p***enger

Something weird happened with that post -- here's the rest of it, just for the sake of being thorough...

Ready -- haven't seen you on SR lately. I hope all is well.

Tazzle, any news on the job front?

Napster, I wish you luck on the job search -- it would be cool if you ended up in the US. You'd come here all connected to a bunch of SR former drunks, all over the country!

Tam, I hope you're enjoying a sunny Sunday with your family. Congratulations on the 15 months milestone!

I spent a couple of hours with FS today -- she threw up her hands & said I'm an adolescent, which is about right. I have one hand holding down my inner 16 year old with one of my two trashcan lids -- the other one is tight on top of the drinking can. The rest of my trashcans overflow. My thinking is so twisted. Next step? Unknown. Good news is along the way I've made a friend, and redeemed myself professionally to some extent.

Alice, Marria, TTBABP, & Dee, thinking of you all.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Morning, all! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Courage, I used to be a wounded 14 year old. I don't know how or why but that's gone away over the last 15 months. And thank God. I always felt like everyone else had it figured out and I still felt like a 14 year old. Now I see that no one has it figured out. LOL A lady at my women's meeting would say, of course no one has it figured out. We're all just another bozo on the bus.

Gonzo, hope you and the kitties are well.

RAL, I haven't seen you much either. Hope everything is going well. And that your husband is managing the GERD well.

Napster, how's it going? Still plugging along at the other company?

Alice! I hope you're doing well and enjoying life. How are the pets? Are you still with your partner?

Taz, let us know how that book goes. It looks interesting and I liked the bio about the author. Funny, we have a client that we work with who is Buddhist and when she visits, we save a conference room for her so she can meditate twice a day. That is also the next thing that I am going to be working on (step wise).

Dee! howdy! I like your avatar right now.... even if I do miss the Muppets. Are you a Muppets fan? The new movie will be out Friday, we're going to see it.

Had to call in sick to work today, I have a wicked sinus thing going on... Not sure if it's from allergies, everything in the Tampa Bay is covered in a thick layer of pollen, or if I'm just really sick. It's killing my training though.

Off to take the child to school and then, I'm going to bed.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hello
Sorry not checked in much recently.I am still around and always reading though not posting as much. Very relieved about Mr RAL,thanks to all for your kind words. Sadly he isn't really watching what he eats any more than normal which is naughty as it is a manaegeable condition.That said, he does watch what he eats anyway as is VERY ill if he eats pastry,cheese, tomatoes,cream etc.

Anyway my new meds have kicked in nicely-possibly too nicely. My anxiety has reduced to virtually zero which is fabulous. I'm sleeping ALL night which is great though I think the sedative effect of it is TOO much as tired much of the time, I'm not complaining I'd rather be sleepy than an anxious overtired wreck but not got much get up and go about me hence the lack of posting.

Sorry I feel I'm always complaining about SOMETHING Roll on spring. We have lambs,daffodils,crocuses and snowdrops now and everything is starting to bloom which is lovely. My favourote are Gunnera which I think are from the Southern hempishere but flourish here .They are just budding this week and about 1inch but each leaf grows to 2.5 metres long! Junior RAL and I are taking photos and going to follow their growing journey this year Many of the local tourist attractions are starting to open which we're looking forward to.

Congratulations on 15 months Tam How was your dinner with your AA friend?

courage-how are you? Hope work is going ok.How's the writing going? Congrats on 40 days -very well done. It would have been easy to keep drinking,I'm proud of you for quitting and hope you are proud of yourself.

Gonzo-hope all is good for you too

Napster-how is work? Did your interview go well? Stayin sober will help you get through this

Tazzle,Alice, Dee thinking of you all

I will check in sooner soon
Old 03-17-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi all yep still plugging away with the job, can't see me sticking it much past this months salary cheque hitting the bank, hopefully have some good news soon. Once it's all sorted I'll be breathing a huge sigh of relief and never joing a little firm ever again unless I'm a Director!

Have been many times I've thought about having a night off and getting good and smashed just for a break from the constant whirring in my head. Not enough booze in the world though and I would die trying so not given in yet! Got a tattoo to get me done first for 200 days plus there's no way that I'd be able to field these interviews with a fuzzy mist head on so on we go
Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by NapsteR1 View Post
Have been many times I've thought about having a night off and getting good and smashed just for a break from the constant whirring in my head.
Ah the old vacation from sobriety notion. Like you can just go back to sobriety after a binge. Which you can't. First there's the physical damage from the binge. Then whatever legal/relationship/professional consequences you incur while you're out there, which could be god-awful, no way to control them. And then there's the corruption of the self. The once-again proof positive (200 proof) that you're a hopeless creep and anything you've ever done is a fraud. Wow.

Stay strong, Napster, and thanks for being here. You helped me tonight.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

I mix my avatars up a little Tam

Nap my last 'one night off' lasted over 2 years...it's a roll with loaded dice I think.

D
Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Ah the old vacation from sobriety notion. Like you can just go back to sobriety after a binge. Which you can't. First there's the physical damage from the binge. Then whatever legal/relationship/professional consequences you incur while you're out there, which could be god-awful, no way to control them. And then there's the corruption of the self. The once-again proof positive (200 proof) that you're a hopeless creep and anything you've ever done is a fraud. Wow.
Thanks C, might just make the above my signature, brilliant!

04:30 start this morning to get to Liverpool (4 hour drive) for a 09:30 meeting, it rains too much up North, don't like it. People are friendlier though.