Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 7

Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Startingnew2! I'm not sure there is a normal. I can't eat mushrooms or I become sick to my stomach and I don't care. My house never looks like it promised it would in the magazine, and although it doesn't feel normal, I'm pretty sure it is. Addiction is sneaky and it preys on our thoughts and feelings. I just celebrated my 40th birthday with a glass of grape juice, and although I was in a terrible mood, I was relieved of spending the whole night thinking about that next drink.

Pataphor, that voice preys on your emotions, too. It's not us that thinks you will fail, because we have seen you succeed *everyday*. It's your AV that is telling you that you will fail and it hopes to ruin your sober night as well so that it can tell you that you can't have any fun without alcohol. Prove us right and prove it wrong!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday startingnew

Start a new tradition - the important bit is your husband and you are together not that you're drinking or not drinking wine.

I've had 7 sober birthdays now - I treasure the fact I made the most of each of them and can remember them all.

Surround yourself with the things you love and the people who love you today

D
Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Pat and Start,

THINK POSITIVE, DRAW POSITIVE.

Being sober is the best thing in the world to an alcoholic.

Day 39 here. No time to think about not being able to drink. Don't feel sorry. We can't let those thoughts creep into our brain.

I'm so grateful.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. We are getting a pizza and a great big chocolate chip cookie for my birthday. I will just carb out instead! LOL. But I will love it.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Start,

Kris and Gang
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Starting New - don't be sad about not having a drink on your birthday - think of your birthday as a re-birth of the new, improved you! Enjoy x
Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I really hope that your sober date night was enjoyable, Pataphor. Along with staying sober, we are all going to have to start experiencing life without the crutch or associated pairing of alcohol. It may seem strange the first few events, but I think we can adjust.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Startingnew2, I really hope you enjoyed your special day and evening!:day
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

SunnySideUp, enlighten me on the chat meetings. I think I entered the chat room once last year, I couldn’t keep up! By the time I thought of something to type, the topic had changed. Funny thing is that I was feeling mentally sharper back then! Congratulations on 7 weeks.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Will1981, thanks for sharing your thoughts today. I've been in a bad mood all week and unfortunately, it's times like this that my mind drifts to thoughts of a glass (or bottle) of wine. I know from recent experience exactly where that will lead and I don't even want to think of starting this journey over again.

I expect that things are going to get worse for me before they start getting better, so I am trying to stay focused on how much better off I'll be this time next year. I already know where I will be if I pick up that first glass...the first one in line waiting for the door to open to a new class, months if not years later.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 40 Starts for me this morning.

Will,
I put together 32 days from November 2nd to the first week of December to end last year. Then I went back to controlled and moderate drinking. as a treat to myself I got a bottle if whiskey, you know since I'm now reformed I might as well get my true love. Spent the first week only two drinks per night. At least it fit into two glasses, not positive how much actual alcohol. Got through that jug rather quickly and went back to beer. I was now a moderate 6 pack a night drinker. Pretty sure a 6 pack on week nights is not defined moderation to a non alcoholic. Slowly I crept up from the 6 number again. It was leading one place so after 6 weeks here I a was back again.

That's just my experience. There are exceptions to the rule, but in some reading around here not many of them. Deep down I knew I couldn't go back but I had to try it I guess. I'm just glad I didn't slide back into it entirely and lose another 5 years of my life.

Deep down a alcoholic knows if the drink will end up killing them. Man it's hard to listen to and keep acting on though. It's much easier to ignore that little part. Ultimately it's up to you if you feel like you have to try moderation again. But I can say I sincerely hope you don't. Simply because even though we have never met I still want the best for you. And when you get right down to it there are zero down sides to not drinking. It won't harm you a single bit. But the danger and risk on the other side is enormous.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

it wasnt that bad

All that fuss i made, for a little dinner. We had a lovely evening a fine dinner and a suggestion by another SR member to lighten up about it really did help. Its one night?

Our Brains our so amazing - why cant it always be as nimble and quick as it is with the av chatter but turned to good like how about ways to make more money or figure out a cure or something?

My AV is a genius.

but it lost anyway, too bad. Win/Win for me and my mate.

Thanks again SR for being there to help in the trenches, now to return the favor.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

That is great Pataphor.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Fantastic Pataphor. I've constantly found that the things I worry about are rarely as big and bad as I expect. I think the way you handled this was so great: acknowledged the AV chatter, reached out and shared, received help for reframing it and acted on it. This is how it's done!

Happy Birthday Startingnew - hope you had a nice alcohol free and carb-infused evening. Happy Belated Birthday emkay!

Will - my personal feeling is that you can share anything here, but you have to follow your own comfort level. I just know that I get so much out of the sharing here, and on the rest of SR. As for returning to moderating - for myself I'm just done with that idea. So done. But I've been there done that so many times that I know the story will ALWAYS end the same way for me: in hopeless despair on another day 1.

Arctic - I really hope the job gets better. Best bad days are ok for a little while, but not ok for the status quo.

Good morning everyone! Day 55 here. Grateful for a quiet Saturday morning, a beautiful sunrise, a solid eight hours of sleep and waking up clear and ready for the day. As stressful as the last week was, I am so so so grateful that I'm not drinking myself silly every night and adding the stress of hangovers and shame and hating myself to the mix. It's not always easy, but it's definitely BETTER.

Have a good day, all.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kiya View Post
Good morning everyone. Day 40 Starts for me this morning.

Will,
I put together 32 days from November 2nd to the first week of December to end last year. Then I went back to controlled and moderate drinking. as a treat to myself I got a bottle if whiskey, you know since I'm now reformed I might as well get my true love. Spent the first week only two drinks per night. At least it fit into two glasses, not positive how much actual alcohol. Got through that jug rather quickly and went back to beer. I was now a moderate 6 pack a night drinker. Pretty sure a 6 pack on week nights is not defined moderation to a non alcoholic. Slowly I crept up from the 6 number again. It was leading one place so after 6 weeks here I a was back again.

That's just my experience. There are exceptions to the rule, but in some reading around here not many of them. Deep down I knew I couldn't go back but I had to try it I guess. I'm just glad I didn't slide back into it entirely and lose another 5 years of my life.

Deep down a alcoholic knows if the drink will end up killing them. Man it's hard to listen to and keep acting on though. It's much easier to ignore that little part. Ultimately it's up to you if you feel like you have to try moderation again. But I can say I sincerely hope you don't. Simply because even though we have never met I still want the best for you. And when you get right down to it there are zero down sides to not drinking. It won't harm you a single bit. But the danger and risk on the other side is enormous.
Hello Kiya,

We've all been there, thinking we could moderate. It sneaks up on you that av telling you, you can. I'd been doing it way to long. I have to stay vigilant with that kind of thinking. Congrats on Day 40. It's Day 40 for me too. I have been going to a meeting everyday and have a sponsor and a home group. I'm trying to avail myself of anything I can to beat this diease.
Odelle, I so understand the mood swings. I used to be all up and down and around. lol. I am actually enjoying the even keel but know that i'll continue to be tempted. That's why it is so important to keep up with meetings and ONE DAY AT A TIME. I hope the weekend will be a good respite for you. Do something nice for yourself.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wonderful post Pataphor!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Kiya, Will1981 and Kris47 – Congratulations on 40 days!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Will.....................
Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I haven't posted again for awhile. I'm still here though, and still going strong - on 44 days sober today

I think my moods are settling down a bit. The first few weeks I had all these strong emotions on the surface that I would usually just get rid of with a drink but because I'm not doing that anymore they were just there for me to deal with and I found that quite overwhelming. Lots of pillows thumped, and yelling in the bathroom has happened. I am learning to just feel my emotions and ride through them.

I feel like I have much more mental clarity to actually deal with the stuff in my life and my thoughts which has also helped.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 48 for me today. This week has been a little stressful and it culminated yesterday with my co-worker and I getting into an argument towards the end of the workday. We talked it over and seemed to have ironed out all the big frustrations for now. I have been taking the train and bus to save money instead of driving and was a little late twice this past week. I think I just need a little more time to get used to the bus schedule. I had a little mishap on SR last week regarding the chat room and that deeply jeopardized my recovery which in turn upset me. I am still getting over that and one of the moderators basically blamed me for opening my mouth on a separate thread so I won't go further unless someone would be kind enough to PM with me and tell me I'm not a horrible person and SR does indeed want me to keep posting. Otherwise, I haven't been thinking about drinking any alcohol despite this tiring week. I hope this weekend will be stress free, I can get together with my best friend, and most importantly get some new affordable clothes that I failed to get last weekend because my car had a flat and damages on the windshield. A million good lucks to everyone else and even though I don't post everyday I still read everybody's postings daily. Have a great weekend!