Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 7

Old 02-22-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Dammit...I went to a Uni reunion last night...met up with old mates I hadn't seen in years. One guy had come over to the UK from the States. Well when asked what I would like to drink 'a glass of white wine please' rolled off my tongue. Dutch courage maybe? its a large glass then another and another and so on. Next thing I know its 3am and Im in a taxi from London to the South Coast having missed the last train. I have had the most terrible memory blackout and nursed an almighty hangover all day. Im full of regrets shame and embarrassment that I cant even remember anything after about 11pm. The most painful thing is I have let myself down yuck yuck yuck...

I have no social evening engagements in March except my Dads 80th birthday and think I should be able to do that as I will be the driver so I going to try yet again but starting to feel like a fraud in this wonderful January 2014class...
Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Martina, You are not a fraud and you deserve to be here just as much as anyone else. I slipped, goodness knows how many of us have. Let's all have a group hug and make each other feel better x
Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Martina.

I think its really important that we think about the social invites we accept - and if we do accept them, it's vital we have some kind of plan - think out the likely scenarios and ways to get through them.

Not beating you up Martina - I did what you did many times....just hoping that what happened to you might help someone else?

and no you are not a fraud...this changing our lives stuff is hard.

D
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

(((Martina))),

Just figure out what happened and maybe it won't happen again. Places, people, things............... We need to try hard not to go where these things can happen in our early sobriety. I am finally figuring that out myself. Glad you're back.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Martina

No you are not a fraud and the fact that you have been so frank about your slip is important.

Dee's words are fair and could apply to any of us. We are all a bad decision away from a slip.

Personally I have been trying to use some simple visualisation techniques to avoid the pressure of being tempted to drink but it does mean sometimes thinking of the most basic situations, ones which I know for myself might trigger the temptation to drink. I try and think about my worst temptations where they come from and what that moment will feel like. I then try to put in place what will block that temptation and think how I will feel when the danger has passed. Often the anxiety of the moment goes and there is that sense of achievement.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hugs Martina, I'm glad you came back x
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
SunnySideUp, enlighten me on the chat meetings. I think I entered the chat room once last year, I couldn’t keep up! By the time I thought of something to type, the topic had changed. Funny thing is that I was feeling mentally sharper back then! Congratulations on 7 weeks.
If you arrive to the meeting early, they list a topic, and you can follow along. The proper protocol is that one person shares at a time. Others just list one word encouragement along the way. If you are interested in sharing, you type an asterisk, and the meeting facilitator will call on you when it is your turn. While it is not for everyone, I would like to encourage you to check it out. I find it to be more personable than the forums, and I have gotten to know people a lot better on SR.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Martina, you're only a fraud if you lie, you came clean to all of us!! Learn from the slip and start over as most of the rest of us did.....
Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I read the AVRT website this morning....so right on.
Really helpful....Great tool. WOW.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

admitting the failure is a help to all of us

I have been using SR on and off for two years now. I fell off last year and stayed of the site.

looking back if i had admitted my slip up...slide off, and wave goodbye to the sobriety bus I might have returned quicker, with some helpful kind nudges from the SR community.

Had a close call this weekend - I reached out - was brutally honest about it.
was given some suggestions, and here I am Sunday - the worst is over for at least another week (okay day).

Personally I get the most from posts that talk about the difficulties, that vent frustrations of the day, that get petty and ugly and raw. Those speak to me much more then the friendly type. I mean I am for rainbows and unicorns and sometimes I feel that way too. But risking honestly with your body and soul is freedom and you can feel it.

So be bold with your posts - I will be reading them.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning, all.

Nothing much to report except that yesterday I spent most of the day in bed. In the morning sitting with my 10 year old who was ill with the stomach flu. Mid day I rallied the two other girls and went out for a while but realized I felt just terrible. Came home, got in bed, left everything to my husband for the rest of the day and watched the newest season of Downton Abbey. I wasn't horribly ill, I could have soldiered on, but I realized I needed rest terribly so I took it. It was so simple. Not convenient for my husband, but that's fine, my job isn't to make life convenient for everybody else. AND I didn't apologize for needing rest or feeling ill. Progress, people!

This is very important because I see lack of self care as one of the biggest contributors to relapse in the past. I can't always control how my work weeks go, but I CAN ask for what I need at other times. This part of understanding what is in my control and what isn't, and acting on what IS in my control is what I'm focusing on now. It's helping.

Day 56.

Martina - agreeing with everyone else. You are not a fraud. Honesty is our only way out of this. Use this to develop a better plan going forward. I believe every sober day has value because we start to cherish the time we were sober when we drink again, and we can use what we learned in a slip build a better bridge to sustained sobriety.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Another beautiful sober day!

Off to church................

Stay happy, healthy and safe everyone. We know what we gotta do............
Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Haven't checked in on this thread for a few days... 27 days today. Working the program as harder than I ever have and getting better results than I ever have.

Waiting for the time to leave for church and then I have my nephew's 7th birthday party. I was high at his 6th. So grateful to be clean and sober today.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I went to a baby shower yesterday, not your traditional event, this one was open to guys and gals so the beer and wine was flowing. I knew this was a possibility (seems all of my family gatherings involve alcohol), but I am pleased to report that I didn't even have a twinge of desire to pick up; I stuck with water. No one seemed to over due it and it makes me wonder how many times I went to one of these events and just assumed everyone drank nonstop like me.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi everyone Monday morning here. I had another slip on Saturday and back again. I seriously thought should I post when it happens, and like Martina for a moment thought do I have the right to still be part of the group, but SR is what makes me keep trying to stay sober (one of the main things anyway). So once again I pick myself up, and dust myself off. If I can't be honest then what is the point of trying to quit, after all it would really be just lying to myself then.

Seriously thinking about AA as this is all that is around where I live, but looking at more strategies and in the meantime you are stuck with me! Don't like counting days though, it just puts more pressure on me at the moment, just day by day. Thanks for listening x
Old 02-23-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a note to anyone who slipped over the weekend - this is a support thread for anyone who's quit or trying to quit this month.

It's as much your thread if you're on day one as it is if you have over 30 days .

Addiction leads us to shame guilt and self hatred - it likes to isolate us and cut us off from the herd so we can drink some more.

Don't listen to those thoughts. You are all welcome here

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-23-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I also hope anyone who slips stays on this thread. We may all be in a different place in our journey, but we all started together and that means something to me.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

GCG,

You are part of this group. We all need help in acquiring sobriety. Your time will be right when it's right.

Do try however, to avail yourself of all the modalities that will help to achieve this.

I am using meetings, everyday, church, readings, SR, the big book, the bible, a sponsor and prayers. I still know my av likes to speak up too.

Best wishes!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Originally Posted by Goldcoastgirl View Post
I seriously thought should I post when it happens, and like Martina for a moment thought do I have the right to still be part of the group, but SR is what makes me keep trying to stay sober (one of the main things anyway). x
This struck me. If SR (and other supportive options) are not for you, I don't know what it is here for. You ABSOLUTELY belong here. Shame is such a painful part of relapse. As someone who has had to come back to my support system a few times now and admit to being back to Day 1, I can relate.

Please share your experience, best that you can. What thoughts were you having, what permissions were you giving yourself, what did you learn? We never have to use or drink again. We are lucky to find ourselves with recovery as an option today. What happened can serve our recovery.

Do you have support outside of SR?

Daxemus - The key to my serenity is acceptance.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Day 47

Pissy and depressed today. Wine crossed my mind but never came close to being considered.
I am almost thankful for those WRETCHED, HELLISH hangovers, as it gives me something awful to associate with drinking.