Old 02-23-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tomorrow will be better ArcticSA

D
Old 02-23-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adee View Post
I also hope anyone who slips stays on this thread. We may all be in a different place in our journey, but we all started together and that means something to me.
We are all just one drink away from not being sober.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Well done Artic,

I'm sorry you had a tough time but you got through it and now know you can.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hang in there Arctic. Hope tomorrow is a lot better.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Arctic, I hear you say Alcohol is just not an option. Good for you!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I am almost thankful for those WRETCHED, HELLISH hangovers, as it gives me something awful to associate with drinking.
This really resonates with me. Memories of all those horrific mornings (and afternoons) are a very effective deterrent!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. For those that had recent slips, don't let it keep you from posting here, you are all part of this class and we are here to support one another. Like others have already stated, we are all just one drink (or one day) away from a slip. I really hope that I don't slip, but if I do, I hope I can be as open and honest as you all have been. The support here is invaluable, through the good and the bad. Tomorrow is a new day and a new week, let's keep moving forward!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

We're ALL in this TOGETHER!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Yes, the tomorrow mornings are always something to think about whenever you think about drinking. I went to this downtown area today remembering the last time I was there, I was at a jazz festival early September and I remember wanting to enjoy a beer and listen to the music. As I thought of that time, I had to remind myself that while it sounded ideal, it would only lead to dependency. It takes a lot of time to adjust to your new life once you become sober. I have to realize at only 50 days, I'm still in early recovery and there are situations I need to be ready for. For right now, I feel that I'm ready to continue doing what I've been doing these last 50 days.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 days, SilentCinemaFan.

I'm avoiding social settings where the wine flows freely, too. I'm also trying not to think too far in advance, summer evenings and such, while I retrain myself how to deal with day-to-day events without alcohol. It really is a learning process, almost like training myself to use my left hand after being right handed for 51 years. I'm wrapping up day 60 this evening and I'm glad to be out of the funk I was in last week. I slept a lot the past two days, which is uncommon for me but I think my poor brain is still trying to mend.

Wishing everyone a uneventful evening and a restful night!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 SilentCinemaFan!!

And congratulations on 60 Odelle!!

I've had a down weekend, energy wise and emotionally. Exhausted and maybe a bit depressed. Tonight I made a big pot of soup and usually I love to cook on a Sunday night but my heart wasn't in it and it's the first time in a while I thought about drinking a bottle of wine (or 2) while I cooked. I think maybe when I feel so cold and flat, wine sounds tempting because it would temporarily energize me and make me feel something, even if it was something fake. I'm holding on now for the real stuff: actual feelings. They'll be back.

I played the bottle of wine out in my mind and saw how it ended - ashamed and drunk and then ashamed and hung over tomorrow. I'm tired and down but I know in my heart that this is about a thousand times better than if I'd taken door B back into the bottle.

Good night, class.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good job thinking that through, Adee. I relate totally, I too would drink wine while I cooked, and even if I wasn't motivated to start, it really did give me a boost of energy. My problem is that I have no ability to moderate, so what would have been a nice enjoyable evening would always turn into something that I would regret the next day. Even now, most evenings I have to force myself to start cooking, but once I begin, it flows naturally. Actually, I've been having to push myself to do many things lately, and then when I'm finished I always think to myself that it really wasn't that bad/hard/difficult, I don't know why I procrastinate so much.

I'm finding that with early sobriety, I'm still having major slumps in energy and mood, but that's to be expected. We'll get through this Adee, one day at a time.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thank you, Odelle. I know you are right, but it really does help to hear you say it.

The support here really works. I'm grateful for it.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you though it through too adee

D
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Something about 5pm, end of the working day - time for a wine - what's the saying "It's 5 o'clock somewhere in the world" - my gosh, all these habits to break. I am now drinking diet lemon lime and bitters. That's okay though.

I think there must be something in the stars or a blue moon or something this week, we all sound up and down more than usual! Take care my friends x
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Morning classmates! I started in SR as a member of the class of Nov, 2013, after 49 days I slipped, and that was 49 days ago! so, sort of an anniversary for me today..... I am looking forward to another 24, waking up tomorrow, and knowing that I reached a new day in my new life! Have a good day everyone!!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

good morning class. Hope, for the most part, that folks had a good weekend. For the folks who have slipped..of course, you are part of this class but one thing I was told over and over on this site last year when I slipped,"what are you going to do different this time?" It's one thing to have a plan and slip once or twice on that plan and stay with that plan. But if you keep slipping then it's probably time to change the plan.

Hope that doesn't come across the wrong way. I was there myself.

I am on day 55. It was a first big test this weekend. First, my wife's birthday on Saturday night. Took her to a nice restaurant and she ordered a glass of wine. I looked around at everyone else at other tables with their wines and beers, and thought "I could have just one?, right?" Luckily, i didn't. My wife, who is not a big drinker at all and is one of those people who doesn't need to control it at all, had only one.

And then yesterday a bunch of neighbors came down for an informal gathering for wife's bday. Beer and wine flowed. People joked about me not drinking - I haven't told anyone I have quit yet. I just told everyone I am on the wagon until my race in mid-March. So, it didn't bother me the jabs about not drinking. They weren't malicious in any way. Even my wife doesn't know yet. Anyway, it was a very tempting time. But I let my kids be the distraction. I spent most of my time running around with the kids, making sure they were showered and ready for bed, etc. In other words, I spent maybe half the time at the actual party.

And I made it. Each day without a drink makes me just a tiny, tiny, tiny bit stronger even if I don't realize it.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Adee, These feelings too shall pass. Being early out these are all but normal. Hopefully, they will become more infrequent as our days continue to grow. Day 42 here and I try not to think too far ahead and get myself into trouble. I too think about what ifs. not as much right now. I know it sneaks up on you though. Gotta keep my eyes wide open, too.

Have a good day everyone. Moving forward............
Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to anyone hitting a milestone today

I'm glad you got through Half Victory. Any ideas how you'll handle things after your race?

D
Old 02-24-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

good question, Dee. really haven't thought that far ahead yet. I do plan to make a plan before then. I don't think I will have a problem telling people I am done with alcohol, although I would be lying if I said I won't drink. There is a tiny bit of me deep down that is thinking this. I don't like it but I can feel it there.

For now, I will just keep working my plan for each day.

Hope everyone has a great and sober night. Stay strong!