Notices

Class of March 2013 part 24

Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Duff, I am amused by the idea of croquet with an open bar! Did a bunch of men get soused and aggressively knock everybody else's balls to kingdom come, then get into a brawl? What was the appropriate attire, anyway? I would imagine a nice casual top and nice shorts.

DD, happy belated birthday! Please do describe the snail sausage!

WeHav, glad J's coming home and things will be back to normal.

Sass, I'm glad you had a kind but "firm" talk with your boss about not accepting ANY more work of any kind.

Could it be that I'm the tallest woman on the thread at 5'4"? I feel like an amazon compared to you all!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Haha Gilmer- no, Shoes and I are the amazons. She is 5'9" & I'm 5,10".

The attire was cas - I just ended up wearing a little white sundress and the men wore shorts and pullovers, all white, of course. No drunken brawls but a ton of trash talking - all in good fun.

Toots, I hope you can get out & explore the city a bit today. You know where to come if you need to escape the cold.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

CONGRATS on 11 months, Marcher & Budd!!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Sober Peeps.

Resurfacing to ask for advice. As many of you know, I was fired from a job in 2011 and again in 2012 for drinking on the job. Ouch.

So now when I fill out employment applications and get to the questions about how and why I left previous employers, I freeze like a deer in headlights. I feel I HAVE to lie to even have a shot at an interview. Why would anyone even take a chance on someone with my recent employment history? Fortunately, I do have a long list of good references.

In a situation where you don't fill out an application first thing, you can say in an interview that you had a health problem. But when you fill out an application first, you often have to answer directly how you left previous employers (quit, laid off, terminated, etc.).

So, if you were in my shoes, would you lie about having been fired -- twice since 2001 -- for cause? I know that can come back to bite me, but I would rather take that chance than be dismissed out of hand and never considered at all. When I was hired for my last "real" job, I told the HR manager over the phone that my contract with my previous employer had ended (something a friend and coworker pointed out was technically true, since my contract with them DID end). When I applied to a temp agency last summer, I lied then, too.

I would give anything NOT to have anything to lie about but my history is what it is.

So, the realities of hiring being what they are? What would you do? Please feel free to PM me if you have an answer that might be, well, controversial.

It's Day 50 for me. Facing these questions does serve the valuable purpose of driving home once again why I must never drink again.

Thanks all. I hope you're all well. Sending out love and hugs!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MeSo, PM sent!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers And a special good morning to MeSo, how good to see you. Can you get some advice on the work history thing MeSo? There must be a job service that can help you with exactly what to write I imagine.

Toots I know Budd wears T-shirts and North sweatshirts no matter what the temperature, please tell me what you are wearing in sub zero temperatures? I keep thinking I would have so many clothes on I couldn't get out the front door.

Chia seed jam is the bomb, just thought I'd mention that.

Have a good and sober Muesday.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Flip flops and shorts mostly Marcher!! Lol actually just tights under my jeans and a hat scarf and gloves is all the extra I'm wearing. If it's really really cold, I just don't go out, it's no fun. But if it's sunny and not much below -1 to -4c then it's good to get out. Walking fast keeps me warmer and fit.

Mesoso great to see you here and especially to see those days mounting up! As for your dilemma, I don't have any advice. I often went to work hung over, and occasionally called in sick, but never actually lost a job. I guess you could say you left for health reasons now resolved? It depends how likely a new post would be to go back to a previous employer for a reference.

Duff, I was out and about today, I was looking for a bracelet for my birthday/ 1anniversary sober. I have picked one and put a down payment to hold it and will collect it tomorrow. It was my first real experience taking time with sales people, and they wanted to know all about me, where I was from, did I like Boston, apologising about the weather as if they were personally responsible, it was a very nice day out!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Marchers, I've been a little scarce today. It was my day with my adopted, in crisis family. I'm happy to do it but do find I'm emotionally exhausted when I get home.

Congrats on the anniversary, Budd and Marcher.

MeSo, I can't say for sure these days but when I was in management, it was a general rule of thumb to avoid saying anything really negative about a former employee because of the risk of a lawsuit. There are no guarantees because not all employers are aware of that but I think there is a relatively good chance you could slide by on that one. The other option is not to list them. Disclosure can make an employer gun shy, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Me So," personal reasons " is my go to answer on applications, most prospective employers wont ask a specific reason from your former employers. They have asked me if I would rehire a person who has left.

I like "health reasons " also.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Meso, good to see you! I like health reasons, personal reasons, whatever duff says to do as one of our resident lawyers . Most important it seems is that whatever you say, feel at ease and confident about it. That's what they will be looking at. Good luck!!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

J is home, j is home, j is home!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sassy, I'm sorry it's so draining, you are doing something so kind and worthwhile.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad for you we hav

D
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

J for a while Wehave, see you after :
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

WeHav, so happy j is home! Yes, it's draining but they are lovely folks and it feels good to be able to help a little!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Lol, toots!!! (Wehav out
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sass my sweet if you were here or I was there I'd make you a pot of real tea, give you one of my freshly baked coconut macarons and turn on some quiet music. Since you're not here and I'm not there we'll do it virtually.

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Lol actually just tights under my jeans and a hat scarf and gloves is all the extra I'm wearing.
That's what I wear when it's cold here in winter ie., when it's 14C.

Wehav and J I am so glad for you.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi all, just a wee check in. Congrats Marcher and Budd........only four more weeks til the big 12, you've both done fab.

All well with me, enjoying being able to put my mascara on without shaking!!........(shaking was the meaning of that mascara post long long time ago, not vanity.....jst FYI)

I was terribly grumpy at work today.........no one knew, but I did! There was nothing wrong other than, they'd whacked the air con up full throttle.............not a happy bunny, I don't do cold!!!! Thought my fingers were going to fall off while I typed!!!

I'm listening to David Cameron(UK Prime Minister) on UTube trying to do a rescue speech to stop Scotland voting for Independence in September.......it's actually quite funny, he's almost begging.............i'm sure it's just convinced the Scots even more to vote YES, the speech is pathetic.

Oh dear, just broke my rule of never speaking politics. It's been a strange old day, weather wise. It's cooled down, which is a welcome break but it's very hazy because of smoke, the smell of the fires is really strong, i'm very lucky to live near the beach and very far away from any fona.

Hope you all well.

Love as always.

LP x

ps: so happy J is coming back home to you We Have
Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Marcher, I'd fly over there if I could. A pot of tea, coconut macaroons and quiet music sound perfect :-)

Life, I'm happy to hear you can do the mascara without shaking. Sounds like real progress to me!

Toots, would you post a pic of your new bracelet?

Gilmer, glad to hear we have our share of "petite" ladies here :-)

Ditching work at last, gradually building a flexible but definite schedule for myself and helping others are resulting in me feeling much better. The winter blahs have lightened and I'm enjoying just plain living more. This old lady is definitely not ready for the rocking chair (complete with shotgun, Toots) anymore.

Have a good day to all!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sass I will do. It's not my birthday until the end of the month, so I may have to wait until I can officially wear it!
Marcher I'm on my way too, so bake another batch!

A pipe has just burst in our hotel, on the ground floor so I am currently stranded in a small area fortunately by the fireplace. Luckily I brought my fruity tablet and phones down to breakfast! Initially the fire alarm went off, but it was soon obvious what the problem is. So I am stranded from the elevator and stairs and the water is off. I could be here a while! At least I'm not having to stand outside in my baffies! ( LP is probably the only Marxher to know that is Weegie for slippers!)

Life, glad you can put your slap on without looking like coco the clown!

Sass, it will take an effort to learn to enjoy taking it easy! You can now make time for some hobbies! X

DD, we are all still waiting to hear about these snail sausages!