Administrator

Class of March 2013 part 24

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-23-a-20.html

D
Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!

I've never got shotgun but it's a grumbly one..........I'd jst written an essay, posted and you closed the thread at the same time Dee

I'm not going to ramble incase one of you guys sneak in in front of me

I'm off for a shower, prob the first of the night to keep me cool, thanks for the weather update Marcher, looking forward to Thursday's rain!!! Next weekend looks fabulous.

Hi all.

Sorry not to address you, that was in the post that is now lost in cyber space.

Love always

LP xx
Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have seriously lost 2 inches Sass.......scary. I'm only 4ft 11 n 1/2 ATM, got a feeling might be back shopping in Mothercare before long!!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifetplant View Post
You have seriously lost 2 inches Sass.......scary. I'm only 4ft 11 n 1/2 ATM, got a feeling might be back shopping in Mothercare before long!!
Well, Life, if I lose another 1/2 inch we'll be even

But for now you get the prize for shortest
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Not sunny here yet but it's still early. I finally got my pig sty place cleaned yesterday so it's a home again. Now if I could just keep my long-haired little darling from shedding all over the place...

So today is for working on downsizing (and need to somehow banish the word "work" from my vocabulary!). Tomorrow is my day for my "adopted family" and even though it's only 3-4 hours, it pretty well tires me out for the day. It is a good kind of tired though, knowing that perhaps I made life a wee bit lighter for the parents for just a little while.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Bud!

Hugs to all :-)
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Bud. Feel better hon

DD, hope you enjoyed your dinner with your mom. (Couldn't resist Life!)

Gilmer, I too have suffered from inverted snobbery at times, I find myself slipping into a bit of a Mockney accent here sometimes, just for effect!

Dee, I was awake in the night last night and came through the living room where hubby had left his half drunk bottle out. Urge was away completely, just picked up the bottle and stowed it away to tidy up. I can't believe your brother! What a numpty!!!

Marcher what are you up to today? You haven't mentioned any bread making lately, what are you into now? Did you manage the cheese??
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

He is a bit of a numpty

Sorry about that LTP I recommend writing long posts out in wordpad or something

D
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried snobbery once in my 20s but it didn't work to well since I'm as middle class as they come...daughter of a plumber/pipe fitter. But my Mom just naturally had class and considering they were as poor as church mice..pretty amazing really. I went to her charm school. And that's where I learned class has nothing to do with money. It's all about manners, kindness, and acting appropriately. And I'm reading Emily Post's 1920's Etiquette book which is really fun. My new favorite word is vulgar. As in don't be a vulgarian. Wearing Chanel #5 lotion is nice. Bringing the bottle to sit on your desk so everyone knows you wear it is vulgar. See, I'm learning.

I think the cravings can definitely pop up easier when you are doing something sober that you used to do drinking. Or any new experience. I didn't have a craving at the bar Friday night but I sure was nervous being around drinkers. My friends topped at 3 drinks for the whole night. I was first man out after an hour and they were still on their first one. But I think you are right Toots. I'm just not used to being around strangers drinking like...let's be honest...how I used to. There was one drunk guy none of us knew that kept circling around the table and I heard him say well I'll just drink with you fine people. Can I join you? I though oh heavens please no Buddha. If he sits next to me I will have to leave immediately. But the coworker' boyfriend...who by the way was drinking diet coke. He never drinks if he is driving. Never. Got rid of him. Whew. So anyway, I just chalk it up as a new experience and I will lose the nervousness about taking on someone else's problem. Not that I could watch anyone stumble out and get in a car without opening my big mouth now but bars late at night will have drunk people. I have no intention of patronizing anyway but I'm may enjoy getting out with the others this summer once in awhile. Some venues are nice where extroverts and introverts are comfortable.

I'm sorry I'm not around for your downsizing Sassy. The hoarder in me is activating.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Shoes, I'd be delighted to give you my extra "stuff". I filled up another big trash bag today just from master bath cabinet. Truly amazing the junk I had in there!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Life, if there is any chance I might be going off the link, I copy my post, that way of I lose it I can just paste! It has saved me some heart ache recently!

Marcher, I meant to say, the only driving I have done so far was about an hour or so on the highway, fine traffic all moving in the same direction at about the same speed. Tbh, where we will be staying, I won't need to drive, but I did think of getting a driving lesson if I knew I would have to do any town driving. Hubby is a dreadful passenger, and makes me too nervous, I become a liability on the road with him next to me, but I would like a little advice before driving solo, so hope to find someone kind and patient willing to risk life and limb for $40! Sounds simple to me!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on shotgun Life!
A friend of mine did the paleo and she dropped a lot of weight! Yep, she gave up alcohol completely. Isn't it eating super healthy and somewhat like a caveman? Like low or only good carbs? I got to do something. I'm laying in bed with a yummy brownie and ready to go get another. I found a book on amazon about losing weight by changing your sleep habits and I would have downloaded but they only had paperback. I know how to do it right but I would sure like to find the easy way.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Toots that sounds like an excellent idea re driving particularly if you can find an instructor who has experienced both sides of the road. My cheese foray was a fizzer on the hard cheese (although I will try again), but the soft cheeses like ricotta, feta, mozarella I now turn out easily. Every weekend I make "regular" bread, the new "thing" is experimenting with better baking options. I'm wading into vegan baking although not a full on vegan diet and it's brilliant in both taste and how you feel afterwards.

Ken I hope you are feeling better soon, it's awful when your nose is all stuffed up isn't it?

Life and Sass, at 5'2" I get the thing about height. Mum used to be a shade taller than me, she's now about 4'9" so I am very thorough about having my bone density checked. Fortunately I'm doing well since I'll be (gulp) 60 next year, so far I've had no drop in bone density at all so I must take after my late Dad's side of the family.

Shoes no matter what you say about yourself I think you are a pretty classy person.

I'm off to do my favourite kind of shopping -- going to the wholefood natural grocer.

Have a good and sober day peeps.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifetplant View Post
Shotgun!!

I've never got shotgun but it's a grumbly one..........I'd jst written an essay, posted and you closed the thread at the same time Dee

LP xx
LP, that exact same thing has happened to me a number of times! I finally just accepted it and enjoyed getting Shotgun. I never tried to reconstruct the lost message
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I was a new young mod I used to politely wait until a lull before shutting a thread - but that often meant I would not get to bed til an ungodly hour.

I eventually realised how silly that was.

If a thread is over 490 posts, and you're writing a long'un, it's best to make a copy just in case
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Feeling a bit better, nose is still stuffed up, but my eyes quit watering, should be ok in the morning.

About this healthy eating..... Last week grocery shopping, instead of candy, chips and soda I bought fruits, veggies and water. 2 days later I'm sick!! I think its a conspiracy!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey budd and marcher, super sober twins....happy 11 months!!!!!!
You two are awesome! And budd, I'm sure the fruits and veggies helped you whether you like it or not lol.

Marcher, I love your food descriptions. Dd, I love yours too. So how was that fantastic birthday dinner, dude? I want to eat vicariously through you! I don't have your slender build so I can't take the calories lol. (And I don't eat anything I've dissected. Was a biology major so that leaves out just about any mollusk, mammal, many crustaceans, and of course worms. I'm really worried I can't worms...)

Sass, hooray on the downsizing and thumbing your nose at work!

Life, good to see you so chipper!

Shoes, heck of a night you had there. I have been to a couple of social hours for work in the last 6 months, those have been no problem at all. A pic of me was posted on the organizations website and emailed all over town, my boss called me up and congratulated me for drinking fizzy water. If She only knew the half of it, lol. That particular "green drinks" event was at my old hangout bar. Thankfully it's been a while now since I've been drunk and stupid there. Wow I cringe... Definitely done some nsfw things there. I don't make a habit out of going to bars but if I wants a pint on a patio twice a summer I'm happy to join her. She usually buys my fizzy, too. I'm such a cheap date now!

Speaking of j, she comes home tomorrow. I was thinking of dressing up, but I have to get her straight for work. So sexy ranger uniform it is lol. As if. They don't give us smoky bear hats...
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh Wehav I am so glad to hear that J will be home!

Have a good Monday all. Night.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Bud, glad you're starting to be on the mend. I was hit with it again and it stinks! The congestion is terrible but being so tired is the worst - and I have to have a picture taken today and my eyes are all red and puffy - beautiful.

Sass, glad you are downsizing! Moving right along with creating your new future -- love it.

Wehav, so glad J is finally coming home. Enjoy your reunion with her.

Pretty tough weekend. We went out all three nights and it just got tiring not drinking. More like trying to be sociable without the aid of that social lubricant we call alcohol. Croquet was a blast but as part of the event they had a full bar set out on the patio. It wasn't that hard but it was there. Fast forward to Sat night at dinner with friends. I was tired and not really wanting to be there - my cold was starting to come back and I really wanted to be home in bed. I was really really wishing I could have some wine with everyone else to make being sociable easier and less forced.

Interestingly enough, polo was the one thing that was easy for me not to drink at. It's like now I don't drink there, as opposed to when I did drink there (if that makes any sense). We had friends with us who were drinking but it didn't bother one iota.

Shoes, we had a few similar experiences yesterday to yours at the bar. A group of young guys came up to my friend and I and they were hammered. They went all out dressing up and I really thought they were part of a boy band or something that I didn't know about. Oh they were a mess and making such fools of themselves to us - right down to one guy spilling his vodka on my friend's pretty dress while asking her if she wanted a sip (sigh). This was all before the game even started -- I can't imagine how the rest of their day went. Then two girls asked my friend's husband to take a photo of them and one of them ended up mocking his accent, which by the way he doesn't even have. She was drunk and really made a jerk of herself while embarrassing him. I know I should have empathy for them, but it all made my stomach turn.

Anyway, Shoes, I get it. If someone is on the path to self destruct not much we can do about it. Everyone needs to have their "aha moment" or their own "rock bottom." Still, it's hard to watch or be around.

DD, hope you had a great birthday and enjoyed dinner with your mom.

To everyone else a big "hello" and I am off to start this Monday morning!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another week surrounded by snow and with sub zero temps. This is getting old real fast! I am hoping to get out into town today on the T. I really hope we get an entry date for the apartment soon, I have to admit to beginning to get a little fed up!

Budd I'm glad you are feeling better. I imagine your body had gone into shock, being expected to deal with all that goodness after years of crap!

Duff, I found that the more times I didn't drink in places I used to, the more the sober memories overlaid the drinking ones. Hubby and I always had a beer after a game of golf, and on a hot summer day, I wasn't sure how I would feel. But a few games of golf followed by a pint of fizzy water, my AV soon forgot that one.

Wehav, I'm so happy that J is coming home! Do you have any holiday you can take off?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Marcher, Budd sober twins , ying and yang Happy Anniversay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (78.0 KB, 47 views)