Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 7

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Billr, on Diet Coke. Having been a Diet Coke addict for years (6-7 a day for decades) and having quit it, (I truly do believe there is something highly addictive in Diet Coke - ever notice that it is the first brand to empty out in any grocery store???) I can honestly say that it was very hard to quit, but quitting alcohol was/is a million times harder. And in the end I drank a lot more Diet Coke than I drank wine. You are not giving yourself enough credit. After about a month of quitting Diet Coke, I gave it nary a thought and I suffer no cravings.
My wife would agree that there is something other than the caffeine that is highly addictive in Diet Coke. She can take or leave Pepsi and can limit herself to a can, but not with Coke. When we lived in Europe the market share was 80% to 20% for Coke over Pepsi and even I was somewhat addicted there. But you're right, she is not consumed with it on a daily basis, and has not joined a recovery website.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishoutawatta View Post
Hi all,

Funny that with the rest of the US heading into deep freeze mode, DENVER should hit about 50 degrees today. 'Tis a blessing to live in Colorado.

My academic work led me to learn about six languages (all of which I was supposed to demonstrate reading proficiency). Spanish was in grade school (back before they split these things up into "elementary" and "middle" schools). But I can still remember a heck of a lot more of my Spanish than my Latin or Hebrew. That certainly doesn't mean I'm proficient. (Oh, and my secret for French? Just speak in English with an Inspector Clouseau accent. Fools 'em every time!)

All the warm best to my cold Tober friends!

Fishy
You would think by the way people are dressed down here that we are in a deep freeze, and it's 60 degrees!! I'll say its a blessing to live in imam for the next couple of months, after which you can cut through the humidity with a knife.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I hope society comes to a point of looking at alcohol honestly and reverently because the facts are, whether you are a "normal" drinker or not, alcohol is a terrible poison for anyone's body. I wish our celebrities would be more vocal about their sobriety. (I remember reading that Al Pacino and Mackelmore, among others, are sober celebs.) Anyway, just a rant, I guess . . . .
DD ... Good for you for having an honest conversation with your sons on alcohol and their specific family history. Battling my own demons regarding alcohol, I sometimes think of either my daughter or son going through the same thing and it scares me to death.

Regarding the quote above, I do find it of interest to learn of celebs who don't drink. Somehow it makes me feel less like an oddball ... which is odd, in itself, because I have nothing in common with celebs!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
You would think by the way people are dressed down here that we are in a deep freeze, and it's 60 degrees!! I'll say its a blessing to live in imam for the next couple of months, after which you can cut through the humidity with a knife.
Damn autocorrect, I don't live in imam!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Damn autocorrect, I don't live in imam!
I was wondering! I thought it was some odd Floridian way of referring to that town!

Fishy
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

I was wondering! I thought it was some odd Floridian way of referring to that town!

Fishy
No, the Floridian way would be to refer to it as North Cuba.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Fishy
We do do things a bit oddly down here. ( I just wrote do-do) .

Morning Tobers (to those here in states).

So day 100 passed without fanfare which is perfectly fine with me. Sign me up for another 100.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Way to go on 100 days, Driver! I most definitely plan to get there this time around. I've started going to AA meetings, which hopefully will give me the extra support that I seem to need.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Driver! Triple Digits feels good, right?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Looks like the colder weather is leaving Florida, which is fine by me. I didn't move down here to experience winter like weather. Trudging, you live in the actual tropics, as opposed to the subtropics of Miami, so you should never have to experience this.

Driver, congrats on the century club. Here's to many more on top of this. Another cool way to look at it is how many calories you haven't drank. I figure I've saved about 25 pounds worth of calories in the time I haven't drank. I must be eating well, or my body is storing the good calories, because I've lost little. Maybe it's time to stop making the homemade breads. I started this so the kids would have less preservatives because they love bread.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Driver,

I practiced my Spanish for about an hour last night using that app. I plan on about an hour or two per day until my classes start next week. One thing I've learned is use it or lose it. I was getting pretty fluent when I lived in Spain but I'm not getting younger and it takes more practice now. Like you said though, the conjugation of the verbs is a killer.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Driver ... Congratulations on 100 days. Awesome.

Heat wave forecasted for today with the temps headed into the mid-20s. Amazing how warm that feels after enduring windchills in the negavie 20/30s.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Driver! Way to model sobriety for the rest of us!

Fishy
Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Congrats, Driver! Good to "see" you WD DD...can so relate to the cancelling of appts...down here it is Pura Vida! Took a lot to get used to....everything is either manana or Lunes...ugh! Yes, Billr....it is the tropics here....2 seasons = rain/no rain. We are in summertime now...no rain. However, the temps are pretty constant, at about 80-85 year round...March/April usually get hotter. Went to find a new beach yesterday. Never found what we were looking for, so just went to the beach in the front of our house. Then out to dinner. Only the 2nd time I have been out to dinner since getting sober. Tough to order an iced tea....and then, all they had was apple flavored....Not bad, but not what I wanted. And...again, seems like EVERYONE is drinking....great BIG drinks...everyplace has a happy hour that lasts all day long! So glad to be sober today! Slept in and feel great! Going to try that Spanish site today
Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Congrats, Driver! Good to "see" you WD DD...can so relate to the cancelling of appts...down here it is Pura Vida! Took a lot to get used to....everything is either manana or Lunes...ugh! Yes, Billr....it is the tropics here....2 seasons = rain/no rain. We are in summertime now...no rain. However, the temps are pretty constant, at about 80-85 year round...March/April usually get hotter. Went to find a new beach yesterday. Never found what we were looking for, so just went to the beach in the front of our house. Then out to dinner. Only the 2nd time I have been out to dinner since getting sober. Tough to order an iced tea....and then, all they had was apple flavored....Not bad, but not what I wanted. And...again, seems like EVERYONE is drinking....great BIG drinks...everyplace has a happy hour that lasts all day long! So glad to be sober today! Slept in and feel great! Going to try that Spanish site today
It must be a cultural thing as everything can wait until maņana. I've gotten used to it and just go with the flow.

I stay away from touristy Miami (South Beach) as much as possible. Other than the beach, there is no reason to go there. Prices are higher, parking is terrible, and there are too many snow birds there. I like the quieter life living in the burbs.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

We try to avoid "touristy" things as well, but our town is really a tourist town...so kinda hard to do...better than living a min. of 2 hours away from civilization which we did for the first 2 1/2 years here...ugh! Dirt roads and jungle really do get old!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Oaky, sorry Tobers, but this showed up in my FB feed today, and, given our recent conversation(s) about Spanish, it seemed somewhat appropriate to share. I think the "sentiments" would work in just about any language that "genders" its nouns.

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.
"House" for instance, is feminine: "la casa."
"Pencil," however, is masculine: "el lapiz."
A student asked, "What gender is 'computer'?"
Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.
Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that "computer" should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computadora") because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine ("el computador") because:
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves.
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time, they ARE the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
The women won.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

hahaha! That is great!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I'm so discouraged today but not about drinking. You may recall that my 19 year old son, his gf, and baby live with me. It's very stressful. My son has been "looking" for a job since this summer, but can't seem to find one. He had a job at Wal-Mart for two whole weeks and a construction job for about a month. Now a good friend of ours is giving him some remodeling work to do, and he didn't even go today. Ugh!! I'm so frustrated! Now my DH says he's giving him 30 days to find a job or he's out. We have to do it. We won't make gf and baby leave, but she won't want to be there without my son. There's nothing at all I can do about this situation, but I really needed an outlet. Thanks for being that for me today.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Free!

Sounds like a REALLY tough situation; I can only imagine the anguish a mom feels about this.

Fishy