Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 7

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Well there's one good thing to being in cold temps, snow day tomorrow! I'll probably do some work from home just so I don't get too far behind at work (I'm in publishing, and deadlines don't stop for weather). At least I won't be tempted to go out to get alcohol. I'm not going anywhere! It's officially 0 degrees with a wind chill of -19 right now. Tomorrow it's getting down to -15, wind chills possible down to -50, and we've got about a foot of snow on the ground and now blowing everywhere. I am a little jealous of your beach pic, Bilr!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I had a drinking dream last night and realized I'm an addict even in my sleep. Somehow I dreamt I ordered an elaborate meal cooked in beer and it came with a small beer 'attached' to it. After drinking this, I realized my sobriety was broken and thus immediately sought out another drink - this is exactly what I have done during my two relapses since July. Needless to say I am quite relieved this was just a dream and I wake up to 6 solid weeks of sobriety this morning. It's time for a new liver, as per Driver's 42-day rule. Have a good one and stay warm those of you battling the winter storms at the moment!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Resolution = stay sober at all costs.

Everything else, like weight loss, exercise more, don't smoke, etc, should then just fall into place somewhat naturally.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
Wow, great view Bilr! Hmm, resolutions. Hadn't thought about that. I've often resolved to quit the drink & smoke and shed some pounds. Wow, this is actually pretty cool to report: Check, check, and check (day 98 no beer, day 140 no smokes, down 25 pounds since July). BTW DoubleD, think you are 100 days tomorrow?....congratulations!!! Resolutions. Hopes. Wishes. I'd like to read more; fiction, nonfiction, whatever. The only real consistent reading I do is the paper every morning. I need to stretch my brain more. Something I always wish I could do better: live more in the current moment. Some things I've always wanted to learn or do better (of course these actually exist on one of my lists - pathetic!!): learn to weld so I can make cool pieces of artwork from metal scraps, learn to dance formally (my mom used to tour as dancer with Everly brothers and Fabio back in late 50s...to see mom and dad dance is truly majestic; I feel like such a fool next to them!), improve skills for giving a killer massage, learn to juggle, brush up on my Spanish (my vocabulary is OK, but I can't conjugate verbs for sh$&), take guitar and singing lessons (the last time I picked up my guitar was 8 years ago...argh!) If I could get to just 2 of these this year, I'd be pretty psyched for 2014. Y'all, I'm gonna be a good husband and father; doesn't make the list.
Early congratulations to DD and Driver hitting 100 days this week:-)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

LS, reading about these temps up north is as close to it as I want to get. I lived my whole life in the Northeast so I am enjoying this. It is supposed to get in the 40's tonight which is the coldest it's been since I've been here. I will be laughing at all the people who think this is really cold.

SM, congrats on your new liver. There is no turning back for you now. My sleep patterns have changed a lot. I now have a harder time falling asleep AND a much harder time waking up in the morning. That is the polar opposite of my drinking days. I know that I am dreaming but my sleep is so deep that I don't remember much about them after I wake .

DD/Driver, way to go on triple digits.

Anyone hear from WhoDey lately?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Hey, congrats DD and Driver! I still smoke...ugh...have lost the weight and the drink...but I have always been of the mind...one vice at a time. I am getting older though and really noticing the impact that smoking has on my breathing....My husband smokes too, though, so it makes it even more difficult to quit. I really want to learn Spanish this year. Very hard living in a Spanish speaking country without speaking the language....I guess I just have to START. Take an action. I have learned a lot of nouns...but, the verbs...forget it. May enroll in a school in town. Stay warm LS! Interesting....I haven't had any drinking dreams YET, this time in sobriety...but I do remember having them before. Scary stuff! Hang in there everyone!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Trudging/Driver,

Learning the verb conjugation is the common complaint with Spanish. I too struggle with that. I think it is good for our minds to learn a new language though, especially as we get older. The problem I have down here is that depending on the person, each one sounds different as it is a Spanish melting pot here. It was easier to understand when I lived in Spain, but I think the drink washed away what I learned there : (
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Thanks for remembering, Driver. Today I reached triple digits! 100 days sober!!! Woo-hoo!!!! Thanks for all of the early congratulations, guys. I would have felt like She-ite had I had to report to you all that I had a drink last night. LOL
Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Billr...yes, have heard that learning a new language is good for the brain as we get older....and Costa Rican Spanish seems to be really different as well...At least that is what my husband tells me. He took 4 years in school...I took French :/
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

I took Latin. Talk about useless. I was surprised about how much a lifesaver my husband's high school Spanish turned out to be when we took a trip to Puerta Vallarta many years ago and then again in Cabo. I am trying to talk all of my children into getting fluent in Spanish, but my eldest stubbornly insisted on French. I want to learn Italian. Just because.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hahahaha! DD, my mom thought we should learn Latin....guess French wasn't so bad
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone hitting milestones!!

SM, drinking dreams are the worst. But, they do seem to keep us on our toes because they show how easy it is to get back into drinking before we realize it. Isn't it such a relief when you realize it was just a dream?

I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and then a year of Italian in college. It seemed like that was the case with everyone in my Italian classes. Spanish and Italian are so similar that the students in my Italian classes would always speak Spanish by mistake. I don't remember too much of either language, but I can read signs and say "bruschetta" properly. Since I majored in biology and chemistry, I probably could've used Latin more. It's really wonderful that you guys are learning new languages. Gives the brain a good workout.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

I start my Spanish classes again next week at the local community college. I have pretty much given up trying to find work down here in my field. When they ask for bilingual, what they really mean is a native Spanish speaker and not someone like me who can get by.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I can so relate, Billr....coming from CA, I should have learned more Spanish....but, I really do not want to work anyway....lol...I do teach online for a University from CA...so glad it is still in English! Saw info about a website that has free Spanish lessons...gonna check it out!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

LS, what is the correct way to pronounce bruschetta??
Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

DD, it's brew-SKET-uh, not brew-SHET-uh.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Ugh, and I like to consider myself somewhat cultured. Thanks, LS. Ya learn something new every day!! My sister told me that you can make a bread like substance out of cauliflower so that is something else new I am trying today . . . .
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

What about prosciutto?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Wow, LS...I never knew that either! Thanks! And....DD....I have also read about pizza dough from cauliflower....never tried to make it though...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Is this SR or Good Housekeeping?

Actually just joking as I made homemade French bread to go along with spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

After my hiatus over Christmas I am back to reading SR more these days. I guess it must be the "resolution" time of year because there are a LOT of people that have signed up in DEC/JAN. I'm assuming that this is normal, and that it is also normal for a lot of people to relapse during the holiday season. I for one cannot wait for the clocks to spring ahead again so it stays lighter longer at night. I could see how this could be a trigger if your not resolved/careful.