Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 17

Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Right, Fish. No one thinks you are posting too much. It was just noticed that you are posting a lot, which makes your friends here wonder if everything is OK with you. Your latest binge has us all afraid for you. That's all it is. You know Kane is way way on your side, as we all are.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Fishy

Don't apologise. Keep posting as much as you want. I was just curious, that's all.

As for strength, I don't see it that way. I am at the gym right now so will post in this later. The strength is inside you Fishy (and it isn't Yoda).

Keep posting dude and stay with us !!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DottieBelle View Post
OK September group it is..I quit 9/1/2013 and I am feeling pretty good so far...it was really hard the first month but is getting better...looking forward to 90 days!
Dottie

Hi Dottie! Welcome!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Fish, please post away! Anything to keep from drinking.

That is alot of hard alcohol. Your poor body. Seriously. I hope you can stay stopped.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Kane deep down inside I believe if I don't quit drinking now I will die within the year from it. You know this last binge I drink over 3 gallons of vodka 2 quarts of moonshine and I have no idea how much beer its killing me. I wish I was just as strong in my sobriety as you and others in the room.
Something that surprised me was finding out I had to get quit to recieve all the benefits.

I wanted a guarantee. I wanted the rewards as security for quitting. BEFORE quitting.

It was terrifyng to realize I had to take a leap of faith, not knowing if any good would come of it. I had to let go of one trapeze before I could grab the other trapeze.

It's worth facing your fears to get to the other side. Being brave is what grows your courage.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I guess with all my slips I'm worried that I'm going to wear out the welcome mat
Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by DottieBelle View Post
OK September group it is..I quit 9/1/2013 and I am feeling pretty good so far...it was really hard the first month but is getting better...looking forward to 90 days!
Dottie
Welcome DottieBelle! Congrats on your success and we are glad you are with us.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Hi all, feel pretty down tonight, I was asked to do the first share the other day in tonights AA meeting, when I got there I was asked again but I declined on the grounds that at five weeks sober I didn't feel 'experienced' enough to open the meeting, aswell as the fact that there was a member with years sobriety there who's back in the area after a couple of months away. Wishing I had done it now! Did a really good inspiring share on Monday night but I prefer to come in and comment after hearing others share first.

Trying not to make too big a deal of this but right now feel a bit of a coward- I did share during the meeting and gave my reasons then but still feel like I should have just done it.
1step, you are doing great and I really hope you can be kind to that wonderful guy inside of you who is coming out into sobriety. Don't be so hard on yourself! You're there, you're going to meetings, you're sober, you're present in the moment and thoughtful. When the time is right, maybe you'll speak first...but gotta be honest....I'd wait too. It's ok to choose your moments. You have that right.

Some people, myself included, are very reticent to speak in front of groups. I'm not a coward. It just isn't comfortable or a high priority for me. No one thinks less of us for it....I promise!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Silly Fish, there's no such thing as posting too much. Kane wS just worried about you cuz he cares. I'm traveling too and bored out of my mind too. Being here has kept me out of the airport bar. If it keeps you safe too....welcome to the safety bubble.

Kane deep down inside I believe if I don't quit drinking now I will die within the year from it. You know this last binge I drink over 3 gallons of vodka 2 quarts of moonshine and I have no idea how much beer its killing me. I wish I was just as strong in my sobriety as you and others in the room.
Woah. That will kill you. Good you recognize it.

Fish, I know you're scared about rehab....but it can't be scarier than what alcoholism is doing to you. I've never been, so what do I know, but it may make sobriety a whole lot easier for you. It's a wonderful place to get well!

Ok thanks for the tip on the limerick thread. I'm off to go play. :-)
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks Lillian, ive had a good chat with someone and they and you have lifted my mood, think its an example of me being reluctant of saying no to people, but now I am sober that has to happen sometimes .
Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Anyone heard from uninvited? I'm worried about him.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Kell, I haven't heard from UI since his post earlier today. I wonder what's up with him and Hooped too. I never knew I could be this concerned about people I have never seen or met!

So a day or two ago I wrote about wanting to drink and feeling really restless. Brooksie, you asked me what is going on in my head, why do I want to drink. I thought about it, slept, went to a meeting, and then it all clicked into place. Here's what I came up with: I used to drink for pretty much any reason, but one big trigger was excitement. I loved nothing more than anticipating a great party or get together (like Thanksgiving) and getting started a little early. Also, in my family growing up and since I have been an adult, the holidays were synonymous with drinking. So after nearly 30 years of drinking all day and evening on Thanksgiving, I am breaking that tradition, and while it is the right thing to do, it isn't natural for me yet. So I need to be aware of that discomfort and be patient with myself.

But here's the thing: I stopped drinking for me. No one asked me to stop, no ultimatums, I just knew I was sick of feeling like crap more often than not and I was tired of obsessing over the next drink. That had only to do with me, and I am in charge of my not drinking. No one is going to force me to drink on Thanksgiving or any other day; it's all me. And I kind of like that. For a control freak like me, knowing it all hinges on me is pretty okay.

I know this all sounds really elementary, but I had to think it all through and put the pieces together and, now that I have, I feel a lot better. I don't expect that I won't be tempted, but I am planning to stock up on my special sodas and drink them whenever I want, calories be damned. I'll will still drink fewer calories than if I were slugging down wine and beer for 12 hours straight.

Ok, Grace, up off the couch. The therapy hour has ended!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Day 2 again. Evaluating what the hell I'm doing.
UI

What's going on ? Sounds as if it wasn't a major slip if you're already on day 2. and you're posting here. Don't be angry with yourself. Just recuperate and reflect back on what triggered the slip.

Keep connected !

Old 11-21-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I guess with all my slips I'm worried that I'm going to wear out the welcome mat
Nah, that's not the way it works, Fishman. You're part of the family.

UI! Calling UI!!! We have the light on for you, too!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I wonder if the government has Drone ducks?
If they do I hope they're not equipped with missiles!! (Where would they fit?)

Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Hi all, feel pretty down tonight, I was asked to do the first share the other day in tonights AA meeting, when I got there I was asked again but I declined on the grounds that at five weeks sober I didn't feel 'experienced' enough to open the meeting, aswell as the fact that there was a member with years sobriety there who's back in the area after a couple of months away. Wishing I had done it now! Did a really good inspiring share on Monday night but I prefer to come in and comment after hearing others share first.

Trying not to make too big a deal of this but right now feel a bit of a coward- I did share during the meeting and gave my reasons then but still feel like I should have just done it.
1-Step,

First: CONGRATS ON 5 WEEKS!

Second: You're a motherf*king rock star, and don't listen to anyone (namely, your AV) who tells you any differently!!!

Maybe you didn't share tonight because you got nervous or you didn't feel worthy or you weren't ready. Whichever was the case, you didn't know it until you made the decision to sit on the sidelines.

You're still sober, you're still awesome, you're DEFINITELY worthy, and the next time you get asked to share, maybe you'll respond differently. Yes, there WILL be a next time, and when it happens you won't question your readiness!!

My sponsor always says: "how do you know it was supposed to happen? Because it DID!" Maybe you needed to sit tonight out to realize HOW ready you really are! Your qualification will happen when it is MEANT to.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

My problem is I have a tiny alcoholic setting on my shoulder whispering in my ear trying to get me to do bad things but I'm not listening anymore he's not getting a drop to drink or drink to drop...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

If I robbed the liquor store I could have a really nice long rehab. Joking of course
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Blasphemy!!

I always enjoy your posts, Fishy!

It's refreshing to have some southern charm in the class. I'm a southern girl myself and I miss it sometimes, living in NYC with all these damn Yankees!!

You will ALWAYS be a member of this class! Always.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Everyone, not to worry - those drone ducks are only decoys. :-)

UI - please report to the front desk. You have a telephone call at the front desk! Proceed immediately to the front desk at the white courtesy phone. UI, you are invited to the front desk!

Fish, in all seriousness.....that little guy on your shoulder means you nothing but harm. Kick his a** outta there Carolina style.