Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 2

Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the newcomers and congrats to all who have managed to stay sober. To those who have slipped I'm glad to see you are here and still trying.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Lot's of great stuff going on with this class! I noticed a lot of back and forth about the challenges of being around others when drinking and attending functions where alcohol is being served. I must admit that I have not done that over the last 18 days. Not by design but lack of opportunity. Which has been good. I have two social functions coming up; one work function and one social function. Tomorrow evening the company is having a team building event at a local pub with drinks and appetizers. In my position I need to make an appearance. The second is an annual party that my wife and I have been attending with friends and family for the better part of 20 years.

The first will be no problem. I never got into the habit of drinking after work at pubs because I have a long commute and the thought of hurting someone or getting a DUI kept me drinking mostly at home unless my wife was there to drive me. The second event, I have actually attended sober 2 out of the last three years. It just so happened I was trying to quit on that weekend. Relapse seemed to happen a day or two after the party. I noticed the party was pretty boring sober.

I read that we should go into each of these situations with a positive mind set not one of fear. We are in control of our actions and decisions. This is an opportunity to break old associations with alcohol. I'm comfortable doing this and don't feel like I'm putting my sobriety at risk at this point.

I am going to pay special attention to how peoples behaviors change as they drink. I'm going to approach this like a scientist observing subjects in an experiment. It may sound mean but I'm going to picture everyone as if they were monkey's in a lab. Lol! (No disrespect to monkeys)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I like your idea dirk, great way to interact with the situation without drinking.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dirk626 View Post
I am going to pay special attention to how peoples behaviors change as they drink. I'm going to approach this like a scientist observing subjects in an experiment. It may sound mean but I'm going to picture everyone as if they were monkey's in a lab. Lol! (No disrespect to monkeys)
I love this! It made me laugh.

McDonald's again. Oh well.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Gillian, I would love to run a race, haven't done that yet. My sister recently did a half marathon but I'm not THAT crazy. :P
Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yeah, Dirk, that's great! "Monkeys in a lab!"
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Lol I like the idea of my friends as monkeys in a lab! So mean but funny.
Seriously though, I have struggled with this the past year. When I first got sober in January I never stopped going out with everyone, so I got to see it all with sober eyes. But then I started to feel like I was looking down on them because they were intoxicated/impaired and I was so clear headed. After a few times feeling like that I decided this was the wrong feeling to have toward my friends so I started babysitting them instead. I was so worried about everyone getting home safe. I have been DD more times than I can remember. Now I'm just staying away.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hello November group This is certainly not my first time around this block, but I refuse to give up. I discovered sobriety and how wonderful it feels to live life without alcohol about 2 years ago, but have yet to make it past 60 days. I get various lengths of stretches of sobriety, followed by a few days or a week of drinking. It's becoming a pattern and I'm sick of it.

I adore my beloved July group, but sadly, once I slipped in September, I feel like I need a new start.
My goal is complete sobriety. I honestly don't even enjoy drinking anymore, and despise how I feel the next day, even if I only had a few drinks. I think when I decide to drink, I get that f*&*k it attitude. I'm a perfectionist and put so much pressure on myself that drinking becomes my only escape from..well, maybe from myself.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and getting through these upcoming holidays together..sober Starting the new year off with 6 or so weeks of sobriety under our belts would be fantastic. I find the longer I am away from alcohol, the easier it gets.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Dreamr--if you can 3, you can train for 13.1. I've been running for about 2.5 years and half marathon is my favorite distance. It's doable for almost everyone and training for it doesn't kill you!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I think when I decide to drink, I get that f*&*k it attitude. I'm a perfectionist and put so much pressure on myself that drinking becomes my only escape from..well, maybe from myself.
Welcome!

I know what you mean, I was the same way. The "screw it" attitude started carrying over into the other areas of my life, and eventually I just gave up on trying to do anything since I couldn't do it perfectly. Now I have a lot of catching up to do to get my life back in order.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome FABL

D
Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClaireFraser View Post
Dreamr--if you can 3, you can train for 13.1. I've been running for about 2.5 years and half marathon is my favorite distance. It's doable for almost everyone and training for it doesn't kill you!
I just don't think I would enjoy running that long. I did 10 miles with my sister once, I didn't like it. I had to walk a good part of it, and I had trouble breathing the rest of the day. That was after I was already running almost daily.

When my sister was training, she was constantly running with injuries. I'm about 60 lbs overweight, so it would be even worse for me. I can't even run on regular ground without getting shin splints, I have to have the shock absorbency of my treadmill.

My sister loves it though, she's doing a full marathon next. I'll pass, lol.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I am new again here and wonder if this is the current thread for the month???
I have 80 AF days today and want to continue my journey and want all the duport I can get.
Dottie
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi, Dottie. Yes, this is the current thread for the month.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome, DottieBelle! Way to go on 80 days!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dottie

D
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Vedette View Post
Woke up to start day 13. Have much confidence I'll make it through the evening with no problems. Going to my first AA meeting tonight. It's listed as a Big Book study meeting. Hope I like it. Still feel a little fuzzy in the mornings (not as bad when I drank.) Think it must be the sleep aid and "mild" tranquilizer my Dr gave me. Those few people close to me that know I detoxed keep telling me how proud they are of me but It makes me a bit uncomfortable. I feel like I might let them down at some point. I'll try to stay strong and wish the same for all of you.
How'd the meeting go?

I've been in the program for about 2 months and am still working step 1. I was not into BB meetings at first, until I got a sponsor. I really like them now though.

My favorite meetings are still beginners meetings. I'm currently on day 2 of going to 90 meetings in 90 days.

Don't worry about getting a sponsor or the steps right now, just going to a meeting is awesome!

Congrats on 2 weeks!!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Day 10 for mee!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wasn't online yesterday, all going well though. Day 6 now.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 9 put to bed. Urgh. Still hard.
Goodnight SR class Nov13. Thanks again.

Highlight of the day: Throwing out recyclables without hearing glass smash immediately afterwards.