Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 2

Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Welcome CaptB. Take it from an older drunk. You're hurting plenty of people... the ones you love the most. Your perfect wife and those children. I was never a mean or disrespectful person when drinking, but the time alcohol stole from me hurt my family plenty. Lost income, suffering health, not being present and available to notice the wonderful things that once missed are gone forever! I remember how my children used to smell when they were little. I wonder if they remember how I smelled? I wonder if the smell of booze will remind them of their dad. You're doing the right thing. Good luck and don't be afraid to reach out for help!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Good evening friends. I am hoping the struggle for all of us is getting easier with each successful day. 21 for me and I think about drinking 100 times a day. I won't do it because I am working my plan for sobriety. Eat healthy (thanks to my wife) get a little exercise(thanks to my wife making me) and to bed early. Went to her Xmas work party on Sat. nite. Loved my club soda and was home by 10. No need to hang around and watch the partiers pour shots. Leaving on Saturday for a week at an all inclusive in Cuba. Booked this months ago. We discussed cancelling the trip but I want to do this. It will be a real test. Also, I have to go for a retest on my liver on the 16th and a follow up with the DR. on the 19th. I want to see if the liver is healing somewhat after 5 weeks by then.
I miss my miserable SOB friend sometimes. But then I go to my daughters house and hang out with my two little grandsons and that reminds me very quickly why I sent that ******* packing.
Best wishes to all of you as we finish up one day and look forward to a clear headed, healthy Tuesday. Thanks to all for being here for me. You have been a huge support. My wife asks me why I spend so much time with the laptop. Only we understand.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dirk626 View Post
Welcome CaptB. Take it from an older drunk. You're hurting plenty of people... the ones you love the most. Your perfect wife and those children. I was never a mean or disrespectful person when drinking, but the time alcohol stole from me hurt my family plenty. Lost income, suffering health, not being present and available to notice the wonderful things that once missed are gone forever! I remember how my children used to smell when they were little. I wonder if they remember how I smelled? I wonder if the smell of booze will remind them of their dad. You're doing the right thing. Good luck and don't be afraid to reach out for help!
Well said Dirk!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

"I remember how my children used to smell when they were little. I wonder if they remember how I smelled? I wonder if the smell of booze will remind them of their dad."
Ouch ... there's a truth I didn't really want to look at (substitute Mom for Dad), but a truth nonetheless ... a painful one.

One that needs to be accepted ...
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Better late than never

had to stick my name in here with my first post... Sobriety date 11/24/2013. 9 days in, sleeping better, feeling better.. determined to keep going !
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Roy

D
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee, I've been reading the forums for a long time, and I've been in the chat room since sober day 1, it really kept me from giving in the first few days when I got weak and lonely. Cheers!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I remember from a failed attempt years ago, you forget the bad stuff and at least I can only remember the lie, of how great it felt to have a buzz. How do you lock those memories in so you never forget the 10,000 bad things that made you quit?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here regularly helped me. Much harder to forget the bad stuff when you remind yourself copnstantly

D
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by captb View Post
I remember from a failed attempt years ago, you forget the bad stuff and at least I can only remember the lie, of how great it felt to have a buzz. How do you lock those memories in so you never forget the 10,000 bad things that made you quit?
Try writing them down. When you list the bad things in writing and periodically go back to read them, the truth of how bad it was can't be denied.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone day 31 is beginning and I'm extremely grateful that it's another hangover free start to a day. I'm pretty much over the cold I had for a few days. I don't have too much to say this morning other than everyone stay the course. It's not a sprint by an means, it's going to be a life long marathon and we are not going to have the answers to start. Heck we probably won't have most of them when we finish. But we do know we are a different breed, and I mean that in the best way possible. We are all tough enough to beat this. And even though we feel dumb for falling into a trap that a lot of us knew was already there, it took smarts to hide over drinking as long as most have.

After all how hard has it been over the years, to get up hung over every single morning and go on like nothing is wrong. How much planning and time went into making sure that there was always alcohol available. We've just got to find a way to keep that same determination we had to finding the next drink focused on bettering ourselves and we can win. There are so much better things in life than the alcohol that we spent years seeking. It's tough but try to stay focused on what you are gaining now what you are losing. And never lose sight of the fact that just one drink can cost you everything you are working to gain. Because one is never enough for an alcoholic. It helps me say no each time.

Everyone take care and enjoy yourself another sober day. If you are in the rockies or part of the Midwestern US getting snow and cold today be safe.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

Next part is here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D