Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 2

Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by GillianChicago View Post
I don't think I'll be running today Dreamr. Finishing up carpet cleaning, my back is tight from yesterday, and I'm emotionally drained since I went to my first in person AA meeting today. I'll be back there tomorrow... I am highly impressed.

Great job with your run!!!!
Way to go on having a good first meeting!
What were your thoughts on the experience?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Happy wednesday everyone - I'm a new member of November 2013!!
My first day was Sunday the 10th - this ha been very difficult but necessary...!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first AA meeting, Gillian! I was teasing about the run.

Good job on day 10, Peacehappyness! Sorry the meeting left you feeling depressed. I hope you have a better experience next time.

Welcome, 3daysfree, I started the same day as you!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
I think you can try everything to be like "normal" people and enjoy a few beers on a Saturday night but eventually you realise (once it becomes Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday once again, and then not just beer) that you are just prolonging the inevitable descent into drinking every day and an unfulfilled life.
Thanks Kopfan, I need to get this to stick in my head and realize I can't try to have a couple beers on a Saturday night, or ever.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Kiya, I've never been to Ohio, but the changing seasons sound lovely. Unfortunately in SoCal the only change is going from 75 in summer to 65 in winter. I used to live in the mountains though and loved the seasons except for the snow. I'm a beach girl now
Avra, keep coming back, you're doing great!
Gillian, congrats on two weeks!
Need2rise, love the positive post!
Bttrl8thn, good luck to you too!
NorCal, congrats on day 9!
Peacehappyness, sorry about your meeting. I'm with you on the exercise. It makes a huge difference in my mood.
3daysfree, welcome to the class!
Brooksie, hope you're doing well today!
Hi to everyone else reading.

image-4158030981.jpg
Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siesta View Post

Thanks Kopfan, I need to get this to stick in my head and realize I can't try to have a couple beers on a Saturday night, or ever.
The way I see it, I just love alcohol too much. That will never change. No amount of sober time will make a difference in how much I love the effects of alcohol, so it is never safe for me to drink.

The people that I know that drink moderately just don't like it as much as I do.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno - I knew my life sucked, but I thought I loved alcohol too...I would have argued about it.

It took me a few months for my perceptions to clear - I didn't so much love it as need it.
It was like medicine to me.

D
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno - I knew my life sucked, but I thought I loved alcohol too...I would have argued about it.

It took me a few months for my perceptions to clear - I didn't so much love it as need it.
It was like medicine to me.

D
I get what you're saying, and I self-medicated with it, too. But I also enjoyed the buzz just for what it was. I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I could say the buzz doesn't appeal to me.

I feel the same way about weed, but I haven't smoked in years. I quit because it's illegal, and I don't necessarily miss it anymore, but I would still enjoy getting high if I could today.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Siesta, i would move to California in a heartbeat! I love warm weather--even hot weather--and I love the beach. Unfortunately, my other half hates hot weather and especially the beach--he wants to retire to South Dakota! (It does get hot there in the summer, though).
Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hello, new November friends On my umpteenth day 2 here, but feeling great already, which is typical for me. I recover pretty quickly, I just need to get through that first day without continuing the drinking cycle, which we all know is tough.

Anyway, as far as loving to drink..I think I love that initial buzz. After that, it's really all down hill-. So basically, all this craving alcohol is really for less than one hour of feeling good, followed by getting lazy and sloppy, an awful night's sleep, and ultimately an emotional and physical hangover the next day. UGH.

I'm looking forward to being far, far away from my last drink. It's still too fresh in my mind on day 2, which can be dangerous.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Anyway, as far as loving to drink..I think I love that initial buzz. After that, it's really all down hill-. So basically, all this craving alcohol is really for less than one hour of feeling good, followed by getting lazy and sloppy, an awful night's sleep, and ultimately an emotional and physical hangover the next day. UGH.
Welcome, congrats on day 2!

I think it's hard for me because I had more nights where I maintained a happy buzz the whole time than nights where I drank fast and furious. My last night of drinking, I started early afternoon and drank til after midnight, but never got wasted.

I seem to be one of the odd ones who didn't have as many bad experiences as everyone else. Sure I had some bad times, but they were the exception.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Man, I need to shut up, I'm not helping myself here. Aaargh!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're all different I guess dreamr - what matters is we do the right thing for ourselves, our health and our happiness

D
Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find re-reading my earliest posts helps dreamr

D
Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Dreamr, I'm pretty much the same. For the most part, I don't have terrible drunk situations at all. I mean, there have been some, but mostly in my younger days But usually I just drink, do the bare minimum, and go to bed. BUT, and this is a big BUT...I stifle from any kind of growth or happiness when I'm drinking, and the consequences the next day are horrific. My best self, my best life does NOT involve drinking. This is something I have absolutely learned.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
My best self, my best life does NOT involve drinking. This is something I have absolutely learned.
Same here. Nothing will get me to drink again, no matter how much I miss it. I just hope the misery doesn't go on for too long.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I had a relapse of something... Burger King. Husband picked up some on the way home from work... I had a lousy 5 onion rings and my tummy is in knots!

Never again. Back to day one... Stupid Booger King.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi my November friends. havent been on much as things have been busy last couple of days. Still sober though hope everyone is doing well and keeping strong!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GillianChicago View Post
I had a relapse of something... Burger King. Husband picked up some on the way home from work... I had a lousy 5 onion rings and my tummy is in knots!

Never again. Back to day one... Stupid Booger King.
First Dreamr with Macdonalds, now this with Burger King! Hehe

I am hungry now.