Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 2

Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ok, I am joining this class. Day one isn't even done. Thanks for being here.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
Gillian, congrats on day 14!
Thank you! Congratulations on reaching day 10... double digits!!!!

How much do you run? I ask because I am starting to jog/run, but I have no motivation to run for more than a few laps. I'd like to get up to a few miles, ideally 4 a day (or at least every other day).

Would you like to be running buddies? We could hold each other accountable. Although you sound like you don't need a push, so maybe you could be my running "sponsor" and take me under your wing???

Congrats to all in the class of Nov. 2013... whether you are at the full 19 days of this month, or 19 minutes of sobriety, just keep on swimming. We can do this!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Scampered, sounds like we have a lot in common! I do a lot of entertaining, too, and found myself just wanting to get drunk and hide under the covers all day! That's no way to live, though. Glad you're with us!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Everybody else, too!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome, ckoures!

Thank you, Gillian, I was thinking "perfect 10!"

It varies, but I try to go at least 45 minutes total, including my 5 min each warm up and cool down, which comes out to about a 5k in distance. When I'm not sore and have the energy, I try for an hour, which puts me around 5 miles (I have a treadmill).

I'd love to be running buddies, but not sure how good of a sponsor I'd be because I only ran once last week, lol. Today was my second run since getting sober. I'd like to run at least 3 days a week, but aiming for 5.

When I first started running a few years ago, I think I had to start out at 3.6 miles an hour, lol. Online calculators don't even go lower than 5 mph for running, so I felt like a snail! I just ran as much as I could at a time, then walked to catch my breath, then repeated until I was pooped. Your body will let you know if you're pushing too hard. Just as long as you're getting your heart rate up, any amount is good for you.

I also want to lift weights 3 days a week, but that's not as fun so I keep putting it off.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hia everyone, day 9 here and starting to feel a lot better, even made it back to the gym and got some endorphins flowing, exercise really helps with sobriety! Going to go to an aa meeting tonight as well. Not sure I its because its coming up or the party season or Im more sensitive to it this time but it seems where ever I look there are adverts for booze, pictures of booze all over facebook and people talking about it!! I think I read a post of Dee's saying that after a while you just don't notice it anymore! X
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're feeling better Peacehappyness! My run today made a big difference for me, too.

I hear you about seeing it everywhere, it's the same for me. I especially hate it when the commercials talk about it like it's the meaning of life. I'm like, rub it in why don't you?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 10. Torturous bike ride this morning with some big hills. Great distraction.

Had a stressful drinking dream early this morning. Didn't actually drink in it, but it was all about hiding my drinking and sneaking bottles into the apartment. They were bottles of tequila, which makes no sense because I rarely drank the stuff. Anyway, not a fun way to wake up.

My youngest boy is in town (16), so that has been really nice. Keeping busy with him and my older son (18). Great spending time with them completely sober.

Peacehappiness and Dreamr, I'm totally with you about seeing booze everywhere. It's rare to see a show or movie without it. Not to mention all the ads. I can't imagine a time when I won't notice it.
On top of that, I'm missing all my friends, who all drink. I've distanced myself from them so that I'm not tempted. It makes me sad to think I may not be able to stay friends with them.

Heading to a late lunch soon with my boys, then hopefully some relaxing time for myself while they play basketball. No work shifts coming my way, which I'm ok with for now. All of my coworkers are drinkers so it doesn't hurt to have some space from them for a bit.

Hope you are all well, and welcome to any newcomers
Old 11-19-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 10, Siesta! A bike ride sounds fun!

Do your friends do anything that doesn't involve drinking? I imagine that we're all going to have to face being around alcohol at some point in our lives, so maybe when we've been sober longer it won't be as big of a deal.

Have fun with your boys!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ckoures, Jenn80 and BalinChane

D
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Great job for everyone running up that "days sober" count. Mine sadly is back to one. I posted earlier about going out with friends who may be drinking and I really think I might be the oddball who needs to do that. My worst cravings and relapse have occurred when I'm home alone. My friends all at least have the understanding that I'm not drinking whatsoever now and when I'm out and about with them I feel accountable. I'm also getting to some events paid for by others in return for driving, like a comedy club last weekend Thanks all for listening and keep your spirits up everyone.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hello! I am hoping we all can navigate the holidays together. I'm in.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ckoures View Post
Ok, I am joining this class. Day one isn't even done. Thanks for being here.
Congrats!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm jealous of all you runners! Cigarettes have robbed me of the ability to jog for more than 5 minutes but excercise is fantastic at reducing cravings. I lift and have started some beginners yoga. Although I tried a wacky pose today, fell on my face, and split my forehead open on a dumbbell, lol!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mel12!

Brianv2, good job for not giving up! Whatever works for you is what I say. Only you know what you can and can't handle.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brianv2 View Post
Although I tried a wacky pose today, fell on my face, and split my forehead open on a dumbbell, lol!
Ouch!

Honestly, cardio isn't that necessary if you lift. Lifting is the best anti-aging exercise in my opinion. I really need to get back to it, it's just so harrrrd!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
Congrats on day 10, Siesta! A bike ride sounds fun! Do your friends do anything that doesn't involve drinking? I imagine that we're all going to have to face being around alcohol at some point in our lives, so maybe when we've been sober longer it won't be as big of a deal. Have fun with your boys!
Dreamr, I've thought about it, but no. Sad to say all of my friends activities involve drinking. Concerts, baseball games, boat rides, even going to get my nails done with the girls, they want mimosas or beers first. Even my new cyclist friends like to get beers after a ride. I don't know anyone that doesn't drink besides my husband. I hope I'll eventually be able to hang out with them again, as the sober one. I've done it before but I just feel like my sobriety is in a precarious stage right now, so I'm hiding out at home a little. Not that I didn't do a lot of drinking at home too, but it's just not as easy to bring it here. It would be an effort.
My job involves alcohol also. I'm a cabin attendant which is like a flight attendant but on a boat. We make lots of drinks every shift. I've gotten to the point at work that I just try to not think about the drinks I'm serving, but again, booze is everywhere!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow, you've got it rough, Siesta! You must really have to do a lot of self talk.

I've been moping around because I can't have any, and I'm not even around it. Even when out to eat with my husband, I told him he could order one, and he said, "I'm not that cruel."

Kudos to you for resisting in that environment!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well I really feel out of the loop! A lot of action in Nov. 2013 class today!

I spent the majority of the afternoon at the fitness center. I did some walking/jogging, the cross fit machine, steam room, some swimming, stretching in the therapy pool, whirlpool, and sauna.

I took my blood pressure when I was done working out and resting for 15 minutes reading magazines and my numbers were all in the normal range!!! This is huge as I was in the 150s less than 3 months ago.

Dreamr, jogging/running for 45 minutes is fantastic! I did a few 5k races last year, 25 pounds heavier than I am now, so I know I can get back up there eventually.

Brian, I was a heavy smoker during those runs last year, and although I'm sure it hindered my abilities, it was still possible to run. Maybe if you slow down your pace a bit, you can go for longer periods of time? Just a thought.

Couch25K (couch to five kilometers) is a great program for anyone out there who is just beginning with running or any cardio exercise. You can google it and find tons of information.

What's for dinner tonight everyone?

Have a great night classmates!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I had hot pizza for lunch and cold pizza for dinner! Trying to focus on schoolwork today.