Notices

Class Of November 2013

Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Hope ya'll are having a good sober day..today is day 8 for me. My boys are having a sleepover at their friends house, I'm just trying to stay occupied, I don't feel strong enough to go have dinner with friends because unlike them, when we would have a couple glass of wine with dinner, I go home after and demolish a bottle, the first couple was always a teaser.

I stopped by the grocery store after, they were giving out wine samples and I was proud of myself for walking past and not partaking. I may just take a 1/2 Tylenol PM later tonight to make myself go to bed early. It was just such a part of my daily routine to get my corkscrew out at the end of the day and favorite wine glasses, it's how I "relaxed" and now I'm just trying to find a new way to do that.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all of you

I think being in a happy hour this soon would be too much for me lizto - I get wanting to be part of the group but you don't want to be known as 'that new drink guy' either.

D
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm headed to bed, it has been another good sober day even though I haven't felt 100% I am thankful to have been sober. I am looking forward to a hangover free morning tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post

I want to get to a point where it is no big deal anymore. Where people just "get" that I don't drink and that I have just accepted it, deeply accepted it, in myself, that I really can not be a casual user of alcohol and that it disrupts my life. And I need to remind myself often that there is no shame in that. There is no shame in the fact that I am one of the millions of people that can not be a casual user of alcohol.
I'm almost 70 days sober and your post caught my eye. I am starting to incorporate sober, healthy person into my identity. It IS possible, and it does start to feel like that. Just don't give up, and remember that those strong cravings that hit sometimes are only temporary. This is a great attitude and goal to have.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm in! Had a slip up over the weekend but I'm not giving up. I felt so good being sober. This is the beginning of the rest of my life.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I would like to join the November 2013 class. This is day one for me.

I'm 39 years old, been drinking alcoholically pretty much since the first time I picked up a drink in April 1999. I've known I needed to stop drinking since at least 2002. I had seventy days sober earlier this year but as my life started to get better my crazy alcoholic mind talked myself into believing that drinking wasn't really my problem instead choosing to focus on my lack of financial responsibility, dishonesty, etc. I lied to myself and said that if I still worked on those things there was no reason I couldn't still drink.

Nothing horrible has happened during this last couple of months of drinking. I've kept my job, I haven't wrecked my life. I haven't blacked out. Actually I've pretty much just kept to myself. I work. I come home, I drink four or five glasses of wine, I watch television. But I woke up this morning realizing just how miserably unhappy and lonely I was. And I know that the happiest I've been in years--heck, probably in my entire adult life--was that period of sobriety I had earlier this year.

So I'm back. Going to try this way of life again. I work this morning/afternoon and will go to an AA meeting this evening. I know SR played a huge part in my little period of happiness earlier this year, and I look forward to getting to know you as I give a sober way of living one more try.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnKC View Post
I work. I come home, I drink four or five glasses of wine, I watch television. But I woke up this morning realizing just how miserably unhappy and lonely I was.

So I'm back. Going to try this way of life again. I work this morning/afternoon and will go to an AA meeting this evening. I know SR played a huge part in my little period of happiness earlier this year, and I look forward to getting to know you as I give a sober way of living one more try.
Hi JohnKC - this was/is me too. Lonely, bored, and using alcohol to fill the hours after work when I am home alone. I am only a few days in, but I am working hard. I'm in your camp!

I know I can not be a casual user of alcohol, and now that I'm 42, my body can't take a daily habit. So there it is. I face it and change and find some other ways to deal with the stagnant feelings of loneliness and boredom, or I eventually drink myself into oblivion every day. I'm choosing to deal.

Welcome!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Just coming to the end of day 2 for me in the UK. I have been doing work for tomorrow but making time to get on SR has helped. I was talking to my husband Friday (when I told him I needed to get some help) and he said that he thought it would be a good idea to plan the week ahead to make things easy for me (and him). So yesterday and today we prepared food for the week (so in the evenings I can have time to read and look on SR), we did quite a lot of mundane house hold chores, we planned to watch a film on tv. It's been a really relaxing weekend and we have spent hardly any money. I even started to read a book last night! Feeling relaxed and happy today at the end of day 2 everyone on SR
Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome JohnKC

D
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too dmr42

D
Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I hope everyone stayed strong this weekend! This concludes my 2nd straight weekend in a row sober! I think I'm going to put all the money I would have spent on bottles of wine each week in a jar and watch it grow, maybe it will be a nice vacation for the 1 year mark!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I love that idea txsunrise! I'm happy to be spending my drinking money on my kids for Christmas, it will be nice to be a little less stressed about money at the end of the year.

This is the end of day 3. I am praying hard that this will be my last day 3 ever! My throat is still killing me today and my whole body aches, my DD isn't feeling well either. Blah. But even though I was sick today I got a ton more done than I ever would have if it would have been a normal drinking Sunday! I am super glad about that!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 3.feeling good but terrible nightmares again. woke up convinced I had been drinking. Such a relief that I wasn't . take care all xx
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm in. This is my first day. Decided that enough is enough. I turned to drinking too much as a way of coping with my depression and various other stresses in my life. I've realised for the last year that I drink in a really unhealthy way, and it's causing me to be more miserable. Just feel like I want to get my contented self back, without the unhealthy relationship with alcohol that is taking over my life. I want to stop the slide before it becomes too bad. Alcohol abuse is in my family and I've tried to hide my consumption from my family because I'm compounded with guilt-seeing someone you love going through this and then doing it yourself.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome brightspark

sorry about the dreams jessicacat - they are very vivid, but they're just dreams and they do happen less after a little while

have a great day everyone

D
Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Greetings November Class and welcome to Sober Recovery from an April Class member! Congrats on starting a most incredible journey. Sobriety/Recovery is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves. It is not an easy journey, but one that I feel has been worth it.

Join in other forums, the chat, the chatroom organized meetings on Tues and Fri eve and best of all make new friends and support each other!

Congrats again!

DC
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I stayed sober through the weekend! Day 4 today.. I am going to AA tonight because even though I have had success and failure in the program, it gives me a safe place to go in early sobriety and hopefully I will find inspiration and maybe even help someone. My wife is having a baby next week so I must keep on this path!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'd like to join as well. (day one) I guess my plan is to use my hard-headedness not to pour the first one. I'll try not to focus on Friday but I know from experience that will be when the worse of the cravings will happen.

I can't believe how many people on here I can relate with. So far, I've found lots of good advice on this site.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I blew it over the weekend. Sooo, today is day one. 7 to 9 is my weakness time, doesn't matter what day of the week it is. I just have to make it thru that time. Am going to start the journal today and take a picture of myself tomorrow morning. Those sound like two really, really good ideas.