Notices

Class Of November 2013

Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Lover of the Light

Hello classmates,
sickscorpian, I can so relate. Grateful to be alive. I'm beginning to come out of a looong haze. It makes me sick to think about how many times I"ve been on deaths door with my drug of choice.
Today is day 47 off opiates for me but still smoking A LOT of weed and drinking. Classic substitution. Now that I've kicked opiates to the curb weed is next on my radar.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandoallthings View Post
I'm fine until 8 every night. I just have to make it that two hour period between 8 and 10 when I manage to stuff down a bunch of drinks and smokes before I pass out.

My danger time is between 5 and 7. If I can get to 7 with a meal in my belly, I can usually make it through the night.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread everyone - lots of support here

D
Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just wanted to pop in and offer support and encouragement
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opentorecieve View Post
Hello classmates,
sickscorpian, I can so relate. Grateful to be alive. I'm beginning to come out of a looong haze. It makes me sick to think about how many times I"ve been on deaths door with my drug of choice.
Today is day 47 off opiates for me but still smoking A LOT of weed and drinking. Classic substitution. Now that I've kicked opiates to the curb weed is next on my radar.
For me, some time ago, it was actually the opposite. I used to smoke weed every day, all day. For some reason I just stopped - but then I started drinking. I guess it's true what they say, addiction is a symptom of a bigger psychological problem.

Congrats on kicking the opiates. Not an easy thing to do. My best friend died of a heroin overdose - he got a free pass for a night from rehab for good, positive behavior. Opiates are no joke.

You'll get there on the rest, you're already off to a great start!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am IN! This is my first time on SR and I know I have had failed efforts before but the posts I have read from others have been inspirational. I know it won't be easy, but I also know that I will gain so much from giving up something that seems to have what I can only call an 'iron grip' on me. I want to break free from it and be a strong person xxx With support and help I know I can do it xxx
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jessicacat

D
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well I'm back in again. I'm a March group drop out. Convinced myself that I really didn't have a problem. That 8 to 10 on work nights and a few more than that on weekends "really isn't that bad". Really going to try and make November 2nd stick. As much as it terrifies me I really think aa is what I need. An actual support and accountability system outside of my family. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to swallowing my pride and going or not. I've always been of the mindset that I can beat it myself and I don't need help to to do it. We shall see, for now I'll just sit and pray and nurse some coffee and a hangover.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Iīm in too, again. I am nowadays an every-second-week drinker due to the fact that I have my kids every second week. Thatīs not working out for me, I need to quit completely. For the first time I feel quite good about my decision, no fear of the future and the concept of never being able to drink. It feels liberating, hope the feeling stays. I started a journal today, I read here that it might be a good tool. I also told my BF that I am stopping completely, before I always said moderate to him. I know I will make it through next week, and I have started to make a plan for the week after when I usually would drink. I so badly want to be one of you guys with 30, 60, 90 days sober.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am now at three days and counting. Last night was easy because my stomach is healing from grastritis (wine related, I'm sure), so I had a constant queasy reminder of yet another reason not to drink. My gastritis will heal, but I need to keep up the energy to not drink when I start feeling well again. SR will be a big help I think.

I want to get to a point where it is no big deal anymore. Where people just "get" that I don't drink and that I have just accepted it, deeply accepted it, in myself, that I really can not be a casual user of alcohol and that it disrupts my life. And I need to remind myself often that there is no shame in that. There is no shame in the fact that I am one of the millions of people that can not be a casual user of alcohol.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kiya View Post
As much as it terrifies me I really think aa is what I need. An actual support and accountability system outside of my family. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to swallowing my pride and going or not. I've always been of the mindset that I can beat it myself and I don't need help to to do it. We shall see, for now I'll just sit and pray and nurse some coffee and a hangover.
I am with you Kiya. I am having those pride-swallowing issues too. I am working to get to a point where I can say, to everyone, that I can not and do not drink because I can't do it casually. Give AA a try and see - and don't be surprised if you feel that you are different from everyone there, there's something to be taken from every experience.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post
I am now at three days and counting. Last night was easy because my stomach is healing from grastritis (wine related, I'm sure), so I had a constant queasy reminder of yet another reason not to drink. My gastritis will heal, but I need to keep up the energy to not drink when I start feeling well again. SR will be a big help I think.

I want to get to a point where it is no big deal anymore. Where people just "get" that I don't drink and that I have just accepted it, deeply accepted it, in myself, that I really can not be a casual user of alcohol and that it disrupts my life. And I need to remind myself often that there is no shame in that. There is no shame in the fact that I am one of the millions of people that can not be a casual user of alcohol.
Try keeping a diary of how you're feeling right now - it helps to read it back to yourself if you're tempted in the future
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Welcome new and old sober friends.
I'm a Tober graduate too, started just before and with the support I got here have made it to 41 days after a relapse.

I think having people who understand, won't judge, and encourage and share their own stories has made all the difference for me. Please remember to check in and post often if you are feeling tempted.

We are all in this together. Good luck class of November!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Greetings to the November class! I'm in the October class and this is my 11th day sober.

Like some of you, this is my second sober performance. I quit for 5+ months earlier this year and thought I could moderate my drinking. Nada. The drinking quickly became an every day affair and since my family knew that I had quit and was only pursuing moderate drinking, I had to hide my increased drinking. That's something I really didn't do before. I hid a bottle in my workshop and would drink in secret. Before I got caught, I knew I was on a downward path and had to change. So, here I am. Take two!

I would suggest that those of you who have tried to quit before, take sobriety to a deeper level than just not drinking. I can see now that my first attempt was educational, but I was naive. I'm much more conscious now of the reasons for why I drank. Sobriety is about more than just not drinking.

Good luck to all of you. You're in a great place.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'm here on day 2, I have a wicked sore throat so I'm going to be taking it easy most of the day. My kids are headed to my Mom's to spend the night so DH and I might go see a movie tonight if I feel well enough. Have you all seen any good movies lately? It's been forever since we've been to an adult movie!!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! I think technically I might belong in the October Class but November 1st feels like a better date for a new start. I am six days sober. Most of the cloud has started to shift and already I can feel the return of something resembling hope/optimism.

That said, there is one thing bothering me. I'm starting a new job on Monday and it very much seems like a beers-after-work kind of place. The oversized bar right next door doesn't help. I guess I'm just afraid I'll be left out of the social loop from the get-go.. I've seen it happen. It's a small price to pay but a sh1tty one no less. Do I go to the bar and stick to the water/soda or do I just not go at all? I don't particularly feel like divulging my issues to new colleagues either. Bah.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Liszto ... I see your concern, but it looks like great timing. New job + new sobriety!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Liszto ... I see your concern, but it looks like great timing. New job + new sobriety!
Yeah absolutely. And I'm so surprised I managed to get it in the middle of such chaos - no better motivation to get and stay sober! I suppose being isolated in work is a whole lot better than the alternative, and maybe it wont be so bad.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Seeking Serenity

Hi all, I've been limping along, some days happily sober, some days sadly drinking. I'm committing now. I had a year sober awhile back and it was AMAZING. So I know what's ahead and I'm looking forward to it.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I feel like I "know" a good many of you because I've lurked for so long! Thank you for having me.