Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 3

Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I think that is a wonderful realization, Little Sparrow! Congratulations on your sober week!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I would like to get involved in the community. I've been sober for a little over a week. I am a binge drinker and I can't moderate. I can't moderate. I can't moderate.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I made it to day 2 again. My new date is 10-19-13 and I want to keep it! Next time someone offers me pills the answer is no!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Way to go dizzychainsaw! Always feels good to wake up sober.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dizzy and Mainza!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Onto Day 3 having stopped on the 19th.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Great decision on stopping Consider and welcome to the SR community! There is so much helpful information and people here.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcome to the community, Mainza! Our brains are different from "normal" drinkers. Much as we would love to moderate, we can't. It's really easier not to have that first one. I'm newly alcohol free, but I've read that over and over here?
Read and post, glad to have you.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mainza View Post
Great decision on stopping Consider and welcome to the SR community! There is so much helpful information and people here.
Thanks for the welcome, Mainza!

Finally woken up and fully admitted the problem.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I have been thinking a lot about the roots of my alcoholism. It started in high school. Going to parties and drinking was always an easy way to make "friends." I was involved in some activities at school but binge drinking in high school and in college was what I was most interested in. For me, drinking was the feature and everything else were commercials. Looking back, I regret all that time I spent drinking. I could have been taking care of myself, building meaningful relationships, adding skills, enjoying life, and becoming a better person. Now that I am older, I don't binge drinking nearly as much but I am going to quit for good. I know my drinking can escalate with just one sip. I am hopeful that my life of sobriety will allow me to do positive things.

What are the roots of your alcoholism?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

im still here still sober and feeling better about my resentments

im in court today, i been up since 4.30 i cant sleep

hope its dealt with today and i can get on with my recovery without this hanging over me
Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Day 19, just checking in. Going to be a hectic week as my wife leaves me for one week with my two kids under 5. Work is very busy at the moment too which is good but also a challenge. Clearly no time for drinking or hangovers in this schedule!! Have a great week all.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mainza View Post
I have been thinking a lot about the roots of my alcoholism. It started in high school. Going to parties and drinking was always an easy way to make "friends." I was involved in some activities at school but binge drinking in high school and in college was what I was most interested in. For me, drinking was the feature and everything else were commercials. Looking back, I regret all that time I spent drinking. I could have been taking care of myself, building meaningful relationships, adding skills, enjoying life, and becoming a better person. Now that I am older, I don't binge drinking nearly as much but I am going to quit for good. I know my drinking can escalate with just one sip. I am hopeful that my life of sobriety will allow me to do positive things. What are the roots of your alcoholism?
I never learned how to drink moderately from day one. As a teenager, I drank to get drunk. In college, I drank to get drunk. For 15yrs after that, the table had already been set. The point of drinking was to get smashed and I never knew anything different and rarely practiced moderation. Even if I set out to moderate, it rarely happened. And thus, that part of my life is over and being put behind me. Life is a journey and booze was certainly part of that journey for me but I've still got a long sober journey ahead and am thankful for that!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
I never learned how to drink moderately from day one. As a teenager, I drank to get drunk. In college, I drank to get drunk. For 15yrs after that, the table had already been set. The point of drinking was to get smashed and I never knew anything different and rarely practiced moderation. Even if I set out to moderate, it rarely happened.
Spot on for me too.

"I never learned how to drink moderately from day one. As a teenager, I drank to get drunk. In college, I drank to get drunk. For 5yrs after that, the table had already been set.

Just began to get more and more often using weaker and weaker excuses to justify it to myself.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sicknote View Post
Someone slap a gold star on my chest, cause I only blimming did it! It worked. I got thought the night. I pretended to be my normal self, made my excuses and left early.
Proverbial gold star just slapped on chest! Nicely done sicknote.

Originally Posted by Goose1 View Post
I'll never figure out how something like booze can make me feel so bad, and I hate what it does too me. Yet I go back to "IT."
Boy did you ever say a mouthful Goose. If you ever figure that one out, please let me know. For that matter, write a book; you'll make a million.

Over the last few years, I no longer was enjoying anything that had to do with drinking - before, during, after - yet I went back to IT everyday. I was powerless it seems.

So glad to have finally broken that loop. And wow, what an eye opener sobriety is...have replaced hate with something so much better; I love what sobriety does to me. Stay strong Goose. Wishing you a terrific Day3.

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Driver, I had to think back on what type of sleeper I was prior to drinking every day. I was always very sensitive to noise when falling asleep, could sleep through a tornado in the middle of the night, and always an early riser. I think I am back to that again. When drinking, I was pass out by 9:30, wake up at 3:00 am wide awake with anxiety, and back to sleep and awake at 6:00 am. The amount of sleep is overrated, the quality is what counts.
My retrospect is similar in all manner Bil (seems like you are in my head).

I might try Double's/Sarah's dramamine trick tonight. I'd like to get one good night sometime soon. Both quantity and quality currently suck (postime time now is 2:30 AM). But in the grand scheme of things, choppy/poor sleep is a small price to pay for the wonder that is sobriety. I'll take the small bit of uncomfort the sober sleep brings over being led around on a leash 24 hours a day by my demon. Hands down.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome Mainza, you've got some great perspectives on what can be accomplished when sober (i.e., "taking care of myself, building meaningful relationships, adding skills, enjoying life, and becoming a better person"). I had/have some similar goals and can attest to how wondeful it feels to begin realizing them. I wish you the best as you begin this adventure. Congrats on day 10!

Welocme to you too Consider. I agree with TempeBrenn...read and post on SR often. Starting out can be difficult, but the support you will find here is beyond belief. There are an amazing group of friends here who can help you process challenges and offer plenty of insight.

Glad you are back dizzychainsaw. Yep, just say "no". It's not worth it. Never was. Stay out of that loop dizzy.

Good luck today teardrop.

Way to go LittleSparrow...congrats on first week! And double bonus on the social "weirdness" not being so bad. To be honest, I've not really dealt with this issue over the past three weeks, so I probably shouldn't comment (but will anyway; got nothng else to do at 3:30AM!):

Surprisingly, nobody has really asked or noticed that I am not drinking. And I think most people would be supportive if it did come up. Those that make it weird? I got no time for that. I could care less about what people think about me, drinking and/or sobriety. On this topic, I've come to the conclusion that is is about me and me only.

InsaneHeart, way to hang in there. It seems cruel that you are doing so incredibly well with your sobriety and sick at the same time. Small consolation I know, but just think how good you're gonna feel when headcold finally clears? Healing vibes sent your way.

free2Bsober13, stop the insanity free! I know you can do this. You know you can do this. Try to conjure up all that good you experienced on your 53 days.

HDrosebud, you're doing it!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me. Please god let me beat this demon.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Wow, so much activity in October but that is a good thing. It is great to see all the newer people which helps keep me on my toes. Hopefully our weeks of experience can motivate you. I know the ones with years sober definitely motivates me.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I'm going to join this class I think. I'm on day 2 and starting to come out of the worst of the withdrawals, I definitely need this place to stay sober.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Welcome Spock, I mean Grindilow. Read, post, take to heart what you hear here. SR will support you on your journey. I'm on day 3 after several misattempts when I wasn't fully committed. I am committed now.

Driver Your insight and inspiration to each of us is truly amazing and I know appreciated. Having been in sales, I understand that we all like to be recognized by our own individual names. You do this well, it helps and I thank you.