Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 3

Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Can I join? Been doing the 24 hour Club, but have relapsed this month, so I thought another Class might help.
In the can't sleep mode: jittery, nervous, scared, weepy. Can't stop crying and not sure why.
The harder I try to be a good person, wife, daughter, sister, friend, the more I feel like I've failed. My Chardonnay was my friend who didn't make me feel like I failed - until the next day. But I always seemed to forget what that "next day" was like and continued with the "friendship". Does this make sense? I think not.
Why would I continue to drink when most times I wouldn't remember the evening? And I thought that was normal for others until I tried to get/stay sober. And I tried to convince myself that a bottle a day really wasn't THAT much. All while being a fitness/health freak! Oxymoronic!
I want to be healthy and live a longer life, not slowly poison myself. But part of my head says a nice glass of wine with dinner is elegant and I want elegance. But it often turns into sloppiness instead. And I know better....too much is poison.
Stopped going to AA cause thought I could do it on my own. Can't.
Going back today.

Thanks for letting me share.
Does the insomnia eventually go away? I'm exhausted.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TempeBrenn View Post
Can I join? Been doing the 24 hour Club, but have relapsed this month, so I thought another Class might help. In the can't sleep mode: jittery, nervous, scared, weepy. Can't stop crying and not sure why. The harder I try to be a good person, wife, daughter, sister, friend, the more I feel like I've failed. My Chardonnay was my friend who didn't make me feel like I failed - until the next day. But I always seemed to forget what that "next day" was like and continued with the "friendship". Does this make sense? I think not. Why would I continue to drink when most times I wouldn't remember the evening? And I thought that was normal for others until I tried to get/stay sober. And I tried to convince myself that a bottle a day really wasn't THAT much. All while being a fitness/health freak! Oxymoronic! I want to be healthy and live a longer life, not slowly poison myself. But part of my head says a nice glass of wine with dinner is elegant and I want elegance. But it often turns into sloppiness instead. And I know better....too much is poison. Stopped going to AA cause thought I could do it on my own. Can't. Going back today. Thanks for letting me share. Does the insomnia eventually go away? I'm exhausted.
OMG TempeBrenn I feel like I have just read my own story! You are in good company. I have felt weepy today too. I am sure it will go away. The strength to say no and leave that toxic friend behind is, for me, like breaking up with a toxic boyfriend. You know it's the right thing even though it feels like crap! I'm holding on to the knowing that every day forward is a day further away from that toxic friend. Be strong. You can do this. I'm only on day 5 and it's tough but better than last week! :-)
Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Stupid question.
Do a hang over and withdrawal feel the same? Not sure what I'm feeling, but I guess it doesn't matter....it's bad. NEVER want to feel this way again.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks! Stupid question. Do a hang over and withdrawal feel the same? Not sure what I'm feeling, but I guess it doesn't matter....it's bad. NEVER want to feel this way again.
Good question. I actually think they feel different. Withdrawal is worse! I have felt crap the last few days. I have also noticed my mind saying 'if you have a couple tonight you will feel not as bad'. Have had to fight that one.! Hope you feel better tomorrow. I am hoping for some sleep tonight. I am exhausted.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

TempeBrenn, I was an "elegant" wine drinker, too. Ha! I preferred red wine so I had the lovely purple teeth to go with all that elegance. Anyway, it does get easier. I am on Day 21. The physical symptoms all went away pretty quickly. My mental cravings hit their height the second sober weekend. Lately, I am starting to really believe that I will honestly never, ever drink again and before I was having to say "one day at a time." I have been reading a lot of books that talk about how alcohol is a poisonous drug that no one should put into their bodies. The logical argument books seem to make the most sense to me. Welcome to you and other newbies!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Anyone heard from Driver or Sarah lately? They seemed to post pretty regularly and I haven't seen any posts from them lately.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning day 6! Feeling really good today. Tonight will be my first "real" challenge since I stopped, but feeling confident I can put my AV in its place. Especially since each day I'm feeling better and better. Happy Saturday all.

On a side note...memories all the unfortunate behaviour I have displayed while drunk is starting to come back to memory. I had suppressed so much of it in order to continue drinking. I so don't want to be that person any more.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

DD, I was thinking the same thing, unlike Driver or Sarah not to post. I am hoping for the best for both. Neither one has been on any of the forums for days. That's the only thing bad about anonymous message boards versus real meetings.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Morning and raining here, but I made it thru day 5 and first sober Friday. I am going to keep busy hoping to avoid AV.. Have a great sober weekend.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ahhh Saturday...used to be my favorite time for a few pints in the afternoon. Beautiful fall day here...going running and then gonna try and make some smoothies!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=TempeBrenn;4246700]Can I join? Been doing the 24 hour Club, but have relapsed this month, so I thought another Class might help.
In the can't sleep mode: jittery, nervous, scared, weepy. Can't stop crying and not sure why.
The harder I try to be a good person, wife, daughter, sister, friend, the more I feel like I've failed. My Chardonnay was my friend who didn't make me feel like I failed - until the next day. But I always seemed to forget what that "next day" was like and continued with the "friendship". Does this make sense? I think not.
Why would I continue to drink when most times I wouldn't remember the evening? And I thought that was normal for others until I tried to get/stay sober. And I tried to convince myself that a bottle a day really wasn't THAT much. All while being a fitness/health freak! Oxymoronic!
I want to be healthy and live a longer life, not slowly poison myself. But part of my head says a nice glass of wine with dinner is elegant and I want elegance. But it often turns into sloppiness instead. And I know better....too much is poison.
Stopped going to AA cause thought I could do it on my own. Can't.

Tempbrenn- this is so my story too....and I know what you mean about wanting the elegance....why can't they serve coke in a fancy glass instead of a plastic cup and giant straw. On day 6 here. You are not alone.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Stupid question.
Do a hang over and withdrawal feel the same? Not sure what I'm feeling, but I guess it doesn't matter....it's bad. NEVER want to feel this way again.
These are different. Hangovers are usually due to severe dehydration, as alcohol is severely dehydrating. Withdrawal can be serious and even fatal.

Don't want to scare anyone but at the same time if you have any concerns re withdrawal symptoms please see a Dr so you can detox safely and comfortably. (This doesn't mean they'll put you somewhere to detox as many situations can be managed outpatient. But not all.)

We are not allowed to give any medical advice on this site... so if you are the least bit concerned or feel strange and you have recently quit a substance, then please see a Doctor or Emergency room.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

DoubleDragons, congrats on day 21! What books have you been reading? I was thinking last night that I would order a couple of books today.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

28 DAYS...4 WEEKS!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

InsaneHeart,

Congrats on reaching the 4 week mark. 3 more days and it will be a solid month. It gets easier from here with only minor cravings which are easier to overcome.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congrats InsaneHeart, that is fantastic!! I hope to be in the same place in 26 days!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Insaneheart that is awesome. Like citrus I can't wait to be at that mark..
Old 10-19-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, I'm off out tonight which is going to be a challenge, so I'm just here reading everyones posts and thought I'd just check in and say hi to all.

I'm just going to avoid that first one tonight. If I don't pick up the first one, I can't get drunk. One is too many, but ten's not enough, right!

Day 7 for me.

Wishing everyone luck!

Everyone just starting out, it really does start getting easier. My first few attempts where a mess! On and off like a light switch! I'm just going to attempt a new 'personal best', I'm going to try to break my own sober record, and if I can get beyond that, then I'll be one happy person

Everyone feeling like an emotional crazy train, I'm with you! Boy, this is one heck of a journey right! Hold on tight, cause better times are coming! Toot Toot!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Starting day 3. Have a marriage counseling appointment with a new counselor. This will be our 3rd in a month.
Have told some close friends that I plan on being sober again. This keeps me accountable. They've seen me do 7 months so they know I'm serious.

Got some great surfing in yesterday. Husband went with me. A few fights along the way but he's trying to be nice so he let me tell him that I just couldn't handle some issues yet. Usually he won't let up and then he'll take off somewhere, and I'll use it as an excuse to go drinking.

Also cleaned the apartment, did laundry, and gave the dog a bath. In the last month of relapse I've been neglecting it all. It feels good to be back on track.

Have to work 3pm til 2:30am tonight so that will keep me busy. It will be good to go in clear headed and no hangover
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am on Day 2 today and I have a good feeling about today. I have plenty of stuff to do around the house that should keep me busy for hours, some crafting I would like to work on and then a bonfire and hayride with my family tonight (it is an alcohol free church function). I am going to look for books about alcohol to motivate me in the days ahead. I will also be going through the day with water, tea or juice in my hand! I love having a good solid plan for the day, it almost makes the weekends easier than weekdays to me.

I wish everyone a happy Sober Saturday!