Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 3

Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You too, Citrus. Have a wonderful, sober Saturday.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I love all these posts--thank you for sharing them. I don't "thank" each one, but I do thank each of you!

TempeBrenn, your post struck me because I was into fitness for most of the years I was drinking. Ran a marathon and a few 1/2s, spinning classes, yoga, all of that... all the while, drinking a bottle of wine every night.

About a year ago, drinking and exercising weren't playing so well together anymore, and I chose to continue drinking. Things went downhill fast... Now, I'm sober 11 days, and thinking about running and yoga again. It will be interesting to see how far I can go without alcohol.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Citrus, the book that really appealed to my logical side the most was Jason Vale's Kick the Drink . . . Easily. Now, it is a gimmicky book (not up for any Pulitzer prize) and it uses statistics from Great Britain (one can only imagine that the US statistics are every bit as bad if not worse), but all of his arguments about the fact that alcohol is a dangerous, addictive drug like every other drug out there such as heroin, crack, nicotine, etc. just rung true to me. It made me look at alcohol in a whole new, unappealing light. Easy read, and makes you think . . .
Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

ejackson.
If you have gone 11 days, I'm sure you can go the distance. Running and yoga should help this time around. I started teaching Pilates and Barre in early am to force myself sober. Can't teach hungover.

I moved to a beautiful small town, but making friends is difficult, and retirement put a lot of time on my hands, so drinking became an issue. It is no longer an option..
Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Those of you who want your drinks to look fancy and elegant, don't be afraid to ask!! My daughter's Shirley Temples are among the most elegant looking drinks I have ever seen at restaurants. When I order cranberry and lime, it usually comes out looking lovely . . . and delicious and healthy. My husband always wants his drinks to look "manly" so he always orders drinks in specific glasses . . . Funny, but true, and the restaurants are always eager to please.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good point, DD! I love lime wedges... I have planned for my next evening out a tonic water with lime.

I love olives, too, but not without gin or vodka. But the lime... I can make that work in a non-alcoholic drink for sure. :-)
Old 10-19-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am trying again, yesterday is my sobriety date. Today went on a walk for the first time in as long as I can remember, so I too am going to try to substitute exercise for drinking. Thinking of joining a gym too so I can't drink and drive to go there and gives me something to do in the evenings besides stay home and drink.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm still going strong this weekend. I'm so glad I didn't go on that trip with friends this weekend. I'm really enjoying hanging out with my dogs and husband at home. We're having a scary movie marathon, and we've done a bunch of cleaning, bill paying, dog washing, etc. It's amazing how much you can get done around the house when you're not spending time hungover, drinking, or planning where/what you'll be drinking. How exhausting that was.

Hope everyone is having a nice, sober Saturday. And if it's not so nice, don't forget that we're here for you---just make it through this evening and keep coming back.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 6 was easier then I thought it would be for a Saturday.. looking forward to my one week mark..
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Survived part one of my night without alcohol. Now we are back at hotel and supposed to go back out for a walk and probably end up at some outdoor cafe with a band. Im sitting in the room having major resentments. I want a beer so bad. It was such a long day and I deserve one. blah blah blah. Unfortunately, I think the only way I'm going go be on day 7 and not 1 tomorrow is just to stay in the hotel room tonight. I'm bummed that I will miss out on a nice evening but just don't trust myself to not give in. Fortunately, my husband has a cold and seems content to stay in too. I haven't told him I've decided to stop drinking....pointless because he doesn't think I'm an alcoholic....he just thinks I need to "learn" how to moderate. Spoken like a true non alcoholic who does not have AV in his head. He must be a glutton for punishment or something!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey counting--my wife knows I have a serious problem, but I didn't tell her I was quitting until day 5, because of all my previous failed attempts.
I did it by making a top 10 list of reasons for me to become a non-drinker and then letting her read it. The list also helped motivate me thru that first couple of weeks.
Good luck with tonight.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcellina View Post
I am trying again, yesterday is my sobriety date. Today went on a walk for the first time in as long as I can remember, so I too am going to try to substitute exercise for drinking. Thinking of joining a gym too so I can't drink and drive to go there and gives me something to do in the evenings besides stay home and drink.
This is a great idea! I joined a good Crossfit and went there four days a week for awhile. I couldn't sit down on the toilet for the first month because my thighs hurt so much, but I wasn't thinking about booze one bit. . .

Seriously, maybe not a Crossfit but any type of exercise really helps. I do yoga now and just love it. Have a great sober evening!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone - Hoping its OK to join this October class ? I go by Goose. This is not my first "rodeo" per say at having a desire to get and stay Sober. Today is day 1 for me. I have been a member on SR for some time and to be honest when working SR have been able to stay Sober 3 and 6 months at a time. A few months back I decided to pick up again and mainly on Friday nights. Well yesterday I took a day off work while my wife flew to my daughters baby shower in OHIO. I stayed home to take care of our 2 boxer dogs and got totally wasted ! This addiction sucks. I'm sure everyone can imagine how bad I feel today. I really do hate drinking, thinking back I its never even tasted good. So here I am hoping the hope for Sobriety once again. I have a good heart and know who I am in regards to my addiction. I do desire change and believe in a God who can help me get there. I realize he died for my sins and not my sufferings. Trying to take as much joy out of this suffering, you know the anxiety, depression, embarrassment as much as possible so I don't have to ever feel this way again. I hope I can also help you people in your walk to stay Sober also. I know its possible, just need to focus on it one day at a time. So here goes, Sobriety Date: October 19, 2013. I'll never give up wanting this. Peace and Thanks...
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome, Goose. Good job on the weekend, everybody! My family and I just got back from seeing Gravity - highly recommend the movie!! Also, I enjoyed seeing the movie with a clear head and no drowsiness from Mr. Merlot.

Sweet, sober slumber for all my Tober friends!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The urge just left. It lasted about 90 minutes. Wow..I've seen several posts that say urges last about 2 hours and then they pass. I just spent the better part of the past hour on this site and just like that, it's gone. Well, it did hhelp that i also subconsciously picked a little fight with my husband so he and kids went for a walk without me.....problem solved. That must mean some part of me really wants this because I swear it didn't dawn on me until he left that the little argument just protected my sobriety for one more night...... of course, I could have just told him the truth and he would have been fine and supportive.... but that would be to sane and logical and I'm too early in sobriety to act sane and logical....just not style (lol).
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Hope Tobies are doing well!!!

I don't know how the heck I'm gonna catch up on 3 days on this forum! It's been since Thursday morning I last posted (I don't think I've ever gone more than 7 hours before this!!).

Welcome all new folks to Octobies! I can't believe how much activity...glad to see so many people on board to close this month out.

DoubleDragons and bilr44, thanks for checking on me.

I'm doing muy excellente. Day 21 is just about over. 60 something days since last smoke.

I wish I had something really enlightning to say to you all after 3 days being away; sadly, I don't. Except for this:

I LOVE MY SOBRIETY!

A couple days ago I re-read my first post (i.e., dissertation!) from October 1. Ya'll I'm a completely different man than that sad sack of shi$.

I LOVE MY SOBRIETY!

Still get some urges now and again, but anytime I play it out, sobriety wins hands down.

Sobriety seemed so scary and impossible just 3 weeks ago...there was no way I could let go of that old friend.

Now it just seems like a no-brainer...clear head, no guilt/shame/regret, loving wife, loving life, the list goes on.....

Anyway, for old time Tobers who been around since the beginning, a little update on personal if interested:

Wife is 26 weeks as of yesterday. She feels great, looks great. She is a super trooper, eating well, excercising (we do 3.5 everyday), and working full time. We've been having a lot of fun together reading all things baby (1st timers and all!), nesting, and watching belly grow.

Due date is Jan 24th, but that's 40 weeks. Apparently average for twins is 36 weeks. Holy Craziness ya'll...that's 10 weeks from now (i.e., end of December).

>> Driver goes into manic mode<<:

I've been working my a$$ off (literally, lost 12 pounds since Oct 1) everyday after work and weekends with an eye toward being way ahead on all things that can possibly be imagined. I know I'm not gonna have time for these tasks in the very near future.

I (we) can't wait for these little ones! I plan to be present for this whole gig in every possible way.

I'm hoping to catch up on reading posts tomorrow, but honestly don't know if I'm gonna pull it off. Spent 13 hours working today around the house and gotta do it again tomorrow.

(amazingly no beer, no triggers when working around house this week...I could never have imagined that a few weeks back).

Thank goodness I have Monday off from the day job - not sure why, but I'm not going to question it!!!)

Strength, peace, love and happiness to all!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

You sound great, Driver! Thanks for checking in!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Glad to hear from you driver! Your 3 day hiatus from SR had the group worried. See how tight this clan is?! We're in this fight together and together we will defeat our demons and in some cases reinvent ourselves.

Day 18...Sunday morning, woke up before 7 and enjoying the clear head and normal pulse that goes along with being sober. Intend to have a very productive day - wife ships off for the new world on Tuesday for a week so it will be just me and my two young ones for a full week. Definitely no time or interest for booze. Going to be a challenging week but should be good for all of us. I'll keep you posted:-)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm just looking through your posts. What a great place this is. Day 2 and I'm going to clean the house and walk the dog with the kids.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Woke up clear headed, not anxious or afraid, after a REAL good nights sleep. What a difference a day makes, especially one with no wine and lots of wonderful support. And I will definitely remember yesterday's panic and tears, so as not to repeat.
Have a blessed Sunday all October class. I am looking forward to getting to know you. And may He give all of you strength and courage in your journey.
Goose, I can relate. Stay strong.