Notices

Class of September 2013 part 9

Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Rochele!! I needed that. I am debating a hat or actually going ahead and taking another shower and doing my hair. I talked to husband and neither of us are interested in fighting today so we are moving on. That's good. I need to take that cat to the shelter this morning too.

My second exam is tomorrow. There is so much pressure for these next exams. They are not for grades, they are to keep your spot in the program. If you don't pass, adios! I am so exhausted after the last few weeks. Husband leaves this week for an out of town event just in time for my last two exams. I am getting a baby sitter this weekend so I can study while he is gone.

How's everyone else today?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning, all!

I have made some good progress in the last few days. Over the weekend I told my husband the full story about why I have stopped drinking. He was and is completely supportive, as I knew he would be, but I was still nervous about telling him the sordid details. Also, I just told my best girl friend who introduced me to red wine 9 years ago, although I was a heavy drinker before I met her. The red wine is sort of what sealed the deal for me, though, as it became my kryptonite. She, too, is supportive although surprised. I told her about how I have tried to moderate and it just ends up being the same old story, and she respects that. (She is one of those lucky ducks whose off button is fully functioning!)

Anyway, it feels good to have the truth out there and to have said it out loud. I waited this long to tell them because I needed to get my thoughts together and find the right words, and also to find the right time.

Hope everyone has a beautiful, strong day. Do something nice for a stranger!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And it's absurd but I feel guilty taking that cat in. It's a really nice cat. It looked happy outside. However it's not safe for cats to be outside where I live for various reasons and we are maybe getting snow later this week. So yeah. I need to take it in. It's a nice no-kill shelter and it will take care of her. I'd love to keep her but we can't afford it and that would verge on animal hoarding, lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Good morning, all!

I have made some good progress in the last few days. Over the weekend I told my husband the full story about why I have stopped drinking. He was and is completely supportive, as I knew he would be, but I was still nervous about telling him the sordid details. Also, I just told my best girl friend who introduced me to red wine 9 years ago, although I was a heavy drinker before I met her. The red wine is sort of what sealed the deal for me, though, as it became my kryptonite. She, too, is supportive although surprised. I told her about how I have tried to moderate and it just ends up being the same old story, and she respects that. (She is one of those lucky ducks whose off button is fully functioning!)

Anyway, it feels good to have the truth out there and to have said it out loud. I waited this long to tell them because I needed to get my thoughts together and find the right words, and also to find the right time.

Hope everyone has a beautiful, strong day. Do something nice for a stranger!
How brave and wonderful! That's inspiring Grace!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lorelei, please come back. We all need you, especially me! I know taking care of us is not a easy task. I miss your smile!
Love you
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Lorelei, I hope you get to read how very special you are to our class. Your posts showed us a part of you that we really care about and we want to lift you up like you have for so many others.

I wish you the best, my sweet friend, and I hope to see you back in class soon!! (As you once told me)

(((Lorelei)))

GGirl
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Since I have yet to return to meetings on a regular basis, I've come to depend on SR and everyone here quite a bit. I may not always have something to say, but I'm always rooting for everyone and following their triumphs and struggles.

It's good for all of us to be able to take turns getting support when we need it, and being able to give it back when we are feeling stronger and someone else needs a hand to grab on to.

It's sad when someone disappears or leaves.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Hope you all are well.

I think I am on day 24, but I have forgotten and stopped counting. I have even forgotten to check in here. Busy busy. Have a friend coming into town this weekend, so will practice moderation. It's the binging I wanted to stop, and I feel like I am doing a good job controlling it.

Lorelei, you shouldn't give up. One night does not define you.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You're doin the right thing Renarde. It's very big of you to have taken in that cat and found it a safe place where it can get proper care.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CardHat View Post
Hi All,

Hope you all are well.

I think I am on day 24, but I have forgotten and stopped counting. I have even forgotten to check in here. Busy busy. Have a friend coming into town this weekend, so will practice moderation. It's the binging I wanted to stop, and I feel like I am doing a good job controlling it.

Good job on your winning streak!
I'm concerned about your plan for moderation... That's a bit dicey for a binge drinker
I for one have tried to be moderate in the past. I even still think I can do just one! But I can't.
Have you thought about just pushing through the visit sober? Once you get that under your belt you'll be unstoppable!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Good job on your winning streak!
I'm concerned about your plan for moderation... That's a bit dicey for a binge drinker
I for one have tried to be moderate in the past. I even still think I can do just one! But I can't.
Have you thought about just pushing through the visit sober? Once you get that under your belt you'll be unstoppable!
Thanks for your concern. If I go 100% teetotal, my social life is going to be pretty non-existent. Learning how to drink responsibly in moderation is a better long term solution in my opinion, rather than going completely sober and eventually having a binging setback. It's a compromise I am willing to try.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CardHat View Post
Hi All,

Hope you all are well.

I think most of us have tried and failed with moderation. I would advise against this course but if you decide to do it I hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well yes there is still a myth that floats around in all bingers heads that we just have to try harder to be civilized, we can change, we can have our cake and eat it too. No matter how good our intentions are, some of us square pegs just cannot be squeezed into the round hole. Everyone is a different kind of drinker. The only solution is accepting yourself as you are and trying to live your life with your own well being in mind.
I'm touting myself as an introvert on the regular, but I have a lot of friends. My social life hasn't suffered. I've found out who my real friends are. And they still laugh at my jokes.
Also I think they were pretty bored of hearing me say "I know how to moderate," and then having to deal with me when I disappointed myself.
I think I saved my social life.

Good luck, we're here for you
Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
I have done told the doctor that during this procedure if I feel two hands on my shoulders that I am going to be pissed.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
You're doin the right thing Renarde. It's very big of you to have taken in that cat and found it a safe place where it can get proper care.
Thank you! I took it in and turned it over. It was kind of hard but I think I set a good example to my child that we need to have compassion for animals.

I'm waiting to study with my friend. I'm glad I made it on time and I was even able to grab some coffee too.

Is your day going better Plenny?

Mad bird, I always find your comments to be really helpful.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good luck Cardhat. I found fighting to moderate was so exhaustong and just furthered my obsession. I'm a lot more at peace just letting it go.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention earlier, I am one month sober today! 30 days.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I second what Renarde said, Madbird

Thanks Renarde I feel ok. I'm out on a work call but now I'm holding and waiting to hear if this job is still happening. So I have time to kill!! That's the worst! I used to do some damage on days like these. So I'm trying to stay occupied and not spend too much! And I'd stay here but my phone battery is dying! So I'll have to go now, to preserve power so I can hear from my boss. Oh man. Thanks for checking on me! I'll stay out of the bars!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Day 11 for me and feeling great! I got through last weekend alcohol free for the first time in months I thoughts about drinking a few times but kept myself busy with other things.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
I have done told the doctor that during this procedure if I feel two hands on my shoulders that I am going to be pissed.
Ha ha.
The last time I had that done I asked if I could get 2 fingers please.
Doc looked at me bewildered and I said......
"I always like to get a second opinion"