Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 5

Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Elseware, if my math is correct, tomorrow you make 30 days

I've heard several posters say that cravings get fewer and farther between the longer we go. Still, it's strange when it surprises us out of nowhere. Sometimes I feel I'm craving 'something' to relax or zone out but I don't really want to drink. It's a weird feeling.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
A drink won't offer a break. A drink will break me.
I'm holding onto that one. Great post EternalQ!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Elseware, have you seen this recent thread on the newcomer's forum? It's about alcohol cravings, but maybe some of it speaks to any substance addiction.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ever-go-2.html
Old 09-29-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hi George, my last drink was August 10th so I have 50 days today also...

Originally Posted by George3334 View Post
Day 50 of sobriety here. Celebrated by attending a friend's surprise birthday party. It was one of the first times I went out to a social gathering where I thought my sobriety might be tested. So I downloaded the soberrecovery app onto my phone to take along in case I needed a motivation boost. Happy to say I made it through the party without having an alcoholic beverage. I drank tons of sugary root beer instead.
We had a great time!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to you too Sean - & you Elseware

D
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
Hi George, my last drink was August 10th so I have 50 days today also...
Thanks Sean. Congrats to you, too.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Wow Elseware, Sean, George and anyone else, a big congratulations. Making it this far is HUGE! Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!
ani
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi everybody! Checking in on day 40. I haven't been posting much lately, but have been reading all of your posts here. Congrats on your milestones & progress! It feels good to be part of such an amazing team of people :-)

A strange thing happened yesterday. I was at a family reunion & I went to get a club soda and get a beer for my dad. I got sidetracked by my cousin & while we were talking, I accidentially took a sip of the beer! It was so weird. It took my brain a few seconds to realize that it wasn't seltzer water. You should have seen the look on my face! I was like "oh my gosh! I just drank beer!!". My cousin looked at me funny, so I had to explain that I don't drink anymore. We both laughed, but I was so shocked that it happened. It truly was an accident, so I'm not going to get hung up on it. Good thing is, it tasted nasty!! Happy Sunday, everybody!!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

The improvements to my life are entirely down to the forum and the remarkable people on it, indeed I had no one else to turn to last month. I'd tried quitting many times but something clicked for me here, in the head as well as on the mouse that is... There are few things I can think of where a little support from others can go so extraordinarily far.

I'll have to do something more in return...
Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

The improvements to my life are entirely down to the forum and the remarkable people on it, indeed I had no one else to turn to last month. I'd tried quitting many times but something clicked for me here, in the head as well as on the mouse that is... There are few things I can think of where a little support from others can go so extraordinarily far. I'll have to do something more in return...
. This is my feeling, too, Sean. This space has been a lifeline for me. I truly don't know what I would have done without it. It's Sunday morning here and I feel fine thanks to all of you. Day 30 starting now. No slip up last night. Just a feeling and it went away
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Congrats on all the milestones, you guys. I feel the same about the support on this forum--never would have made it this far without the August class.

Merchantsun, that must have been startling! Glad the accidental sip tasted nasty.

Johnny, where you at? Miss seeing you. Hope that your IKEA mattress has aired out some and that you're doing okay. Give us an update when you get a chance, please.

I'm off to a birthday brunch for a friend where bottomless mimosas will be served. But, even in the height of my drinking days, I rarely took part in brunch drinking as I knew that once I started I would want to drink all day and would thereby get nothing done. The thought of champagne and orange juice in the morning at this point sounds rather putrid and disgusting. Yet still, because I'm still super aware of 'not-drinking' I will be on guard when the server comes to take the orders.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  
w2r

You guys give me hope!
Well done George Sean Merchantsun and Elsewhere!

I'm day 6...
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

The improvements to my life are entirely down to the forum and the remarkable people on it, indeed I had no one else to turn to last month. I'd tried quitting many times but something clicked for me here, in the head as well as on the mouse that is... There are few things I can think of where a little support from others can go so extraordinarily far...
Sean, I agree with you. I have made it this far before, but not without a lot of cravings and close calls. It seems so much easier with all of these helpful and smart folks to offer moral support and words of advice. I really like the idea of being part of a cohort with the same goal in mind. And thanks again for posting up your documentaries - I'm reading the one on South Korea. Very interesting!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
But, even in the height of my drinking days, I rarely took part in brunch drinking as I knew that once I started I would want to drink all day and would thereby get nothing done.
Hi Kadidee, that's me exactly. In recent years I wouldn't dare drink at lunch for the same reason. The time that I would start generally determined the quantity consumed. As a result I always tried to push back the start time, either by working late or keeping busy on a project.

I hope it went well at the brunch.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Interesting new avatar Kadidee!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by w2r View Post

You guys give me hope!
Well done George Sean Merchantsun and Elsewhere!

I'm day 6...
Way to go w2r! Are you still on holiday or back home again?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Bad flucking day. Yeah, something happened, I'm upset. Not sure if it has to do with alcohol, or choices, or selfishness, or selflessness. Wanna hit a bar or buy a case and drive off to nowhere and drink it. Not gonna tho. More later.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hang in there man, it's usually not as bad as we make things out to be.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
w2r

foolsgold, You are a "1 monther"
My goal is to be like you!
The problem will grow larger and more formidable with a drink.....
let us know your progress when you can.

advbike, yes holiday over, planning a routine free of alcohol triggers!, and a focus on living life! (not numbing away from it)
Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Foolsgold, if I made it through last night I've a feeling you can make it thru this. What I did was make myself comfy with something sweet and watched the last episode of Dexter. Pretty mundane but did the trick. It took just riding it out and it also helped to think about where just one pill would take me. I don't ever want to have to go thru that again. Post here every 5 minutes if you have to.