Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 20

Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

. I just think it's sad that AA is still the largest support group for recovering alcoholics and they fail to incorporate new scientific information about additction into the program that would really help many people to be more successful in recovery.
I think its sad , people are always trying to change something that doesn't need changing.. People in AA talk about the scientific parts all the time, its just not in the one simple hour of the meeting.. Its simply about 12 steps.. It has nothing to do with smoking, coffee, sugar ect..

And it clearly states in the Big Book. That we are not priest, lawyers, or doctors.. You are to seek outside help with those type of things with a professional..

If we changed the traditions every time a new scientific report came out, it would be so counter productive and against the true nature of AA..

I will not start any debate on this, just a quick statement.. I hope people that do not use AA avoid making remarks on what it is about. It can really steer people in the wrong direction..
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we have enough debates in other parts of SR - lets not have them here in Daily Support

D
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Steve congratulations!
Nine months yay!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DP I hope you managed to enjoy the beauty of the scenery without AV shouting too loud, such a shame when what should be a time of pure joy is interrupted by that little weevil!

DG I feel a rhyme off coming on!!! Lol

Carlos, bring us your best, sunbeam!

I liked the pic Grace!! Lol glad hubby is feeling better, I remember walking out of the chiropractor feeling fantastic, at least 2 inches taller, walked round the corner and coughed! Aaaaargh! Sorer and poorer!

Courage I am always fascinated about the psychology of addiction - well, the workings of the human mind period!

The replacement addictive substance issue is interesting, I did briefly consider rekindling my old smoking habit, but after 30 years of being a non smoker I just couldn't do it to myself. I used to smoke at least a pack a day and ave up cold turkey, I went through too much then to just kill myself now! As for the coffee, I drink no more and no less than I did as a drunk, 3-4 cups before noon. And I drink it because I thoroughly enjoy every last sip.

Sorry DG sweetie, hope that didn't sound like I was rubbing it in, I think you are immense changing your lifestyle so dramatically. ( I won't say giving up, because it has such negative connotations as if you are missing out on something, when actually you are gaining so very much)
Dee I rarely think to mention you because you are omnipresent like a south sea deity but I hope all is well in your corner of the world

Nuway, good to meet you

HD, are you busy this weekend? Any weddings? Take are on your homeward journey.

SJ, Happyfeet, Tanja serene, oh absobloominlutely everyone. Of us Undies, have a mega sober weekend!
I am going to an air show at a a RAF camp nearby, it will be their last ever as the camp is becoming an army base and the fliers are moving elsewhere. It is quite poignant for a lot of locals, as the fliers have kept the local economy alive for 50+ years. Still, I'm sure we will make the soldiers just as welcome.
Joy to all
Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hey gang Day 275 or 9 months today...Yayyyyy.....Stuck on a 14 hour shift though Booooo But I guess you gotta take the rough with the smooth...

Very quite day here today so I'm hoping I can fit a gym session in later...

When I finish work I'm off to pick my Dad up as I bought us a pair of tickets to go and watch my cousin box....I'm a huge boxing fan so I'm looking forward to it...There will be lots of booze about but I'm feeling strong plus I gotta do all the driving...

Gonna be a late night thought as the fights don't finish till midnight then I gotta take my Dad home , get myself home , sleep for a few hours and then I have work again at 06.00am , gonna be a tired boy tomorrow lol...Oh well it's a one off occasion it's not like I do it all the time...

I hope everyone is well....Take care.....Steve.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I'm back AGAIN!!

Normally, I'd feel remorseful having to come back and admit my failures at once again not being able to stop drinking, BUT not this time.
I'm absolutely done with alcohol. This is the start of a new life for me.

What a liar and a cheat it is...

Anyway....
It's great to see so many familar "faces" here. I look forward to catching up with everyone.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Welcome, samwitch! We're gonna get this right this time.

Babs, congratulations on 6 months! That's really huge--way to go!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Hey folks.

Steve...9 months.... That is an achievement for sure.

Samwitch....I have been back too many times to counts.....People still like me here though! ..Seriously...I'm losing count...I think it is 44 days...It is not easy to come back....but the important things is you did....I find posting here everyday to helps...it 'grounds' me.

Grace....R&R....rest and relaxation....just spent time exercising..doing yard work...decompressing....Although I have been known to listen to Jethro Tull from time to time..Grace..it is sunny here and I read your posts about how rainy it is where you are and I feel bad. Wish I could send some sun your way!

Toots...as always thanks for your support.
Babs....6 months....I am hoping to get there someday...

WWG...keep going strong. How is the new job going?..You have come a long way over the past few weeks...

MB...hope you are doing better today?

Hi Nuway2fly....I don't think we have met yet....Hope you are doing well...

Happydestiny..DG...Tanja...Iwlast...carlos...and everyone else....I always miss someone, have great Saturday.

Geez..I don't usually post so much...guess I have had too much coffee this morning.

Jim

Oh....ofcourse....Dee..hope you have a great Saturday as well my friend.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Toots, you're right that my enjoying the scenery is "spoiled" by the AV. And to make things worse, I had my first drinking dream. I know some of you have had them but it had never occurred to me. I dreamed I had gotten so drunk that I couldn't remember any of my actions - a blackout - and now I had to tell the undies that I failed last night. It was so vivid, I was sure it had happened for real.

I'll be back soon. Must be social and go outside a little bit.
xoxo
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Courage- I too used to smoke cigarettes. I think calling cigarettes a coping skill is really just AV talking. Going through nicotine withdrawal and then needing that next cigarette to 'cure' it (causing yourself to be going through nicotine withdrawal all over again) really doesn't help a situation at all in the long run. And just remember: smoking, like alcoholism, is progressive. Most smokers started out with one once in a while, then 3-4 a day, then somehow find themselves at a pack or 2 a day and have an extremely hard time quitting. When you're ready to quit smoking, come join us here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...king-club.html.

Toots- I agree, I am gaining so much. I don't feel as though I've really given up anything that I didn't want to be rid of. The feeling of going through nicotine withdrawal all the time and 'having' to smoke a cigarette to make it better was horrible. I'd been quit from cigarettes for almost 2 years prior, and then had 'just one' and was right back at it for a year. So when I quit again, I felt like I was regaining my status as a non-smoker, something I wanted very badly. I don't miss the coughing that goes with it, the fear of causing myself a smoking-related disease or eventual death. I don't miss the money spent on nothing. I don't miss sitting there ancy for the next cigarette break.

And when I quit drinking, it had become a thoroughly miserable affair. My tolerance was through the roof, I practically couldn't get drunk unless I drank very excessively. I was incredibly depressed and anxious and drinking more to 'fix' it, which only made it worse. I started craving a drink pretty much straight out of bed and was at times drinking then. I was starting to drink and drive. It became impossible to get any work done and that only increased my anxiety. Once or twice after drinking A LOT, I acted in ways towards others that I really, really regret. I had awful hangovers sometimes. I had to go to the hospital a few times. I was spending a ton of money. So, I have given up some things, and SO THANKFUL to be rid of them!!!

When I quit smoking weed, I kind of did it on a test basis thinking, "I can always go back if I don't like being quit." And I thought I'd want to go back, but now that I'm quit, I don't want to go back at all. I don't miss going to shady dealer's houses. I don't miss wasting an insane amount of money. I don't miss the cough. I don't miss sitting around doing practically nothing and thinking it was the best thing ever. I don't miss the fog, the paranoia, or the red eyes. I don't miss being scared as hell that I'd get pulled over and arrested with drugs in my car. I don't miss smoking so much that had I been caught with my stash at some points, I could have been sent to jail for being a dealer despite the fact that it really was just my personal supply.

I won't lie, I have had some coffee cravings, but I think that is just because I am still in the early phases. And already I kind of don't miss NEEDING the stuff to get out of bed and wake up. I don't miss constantly buying a bunch of the stuff at the store. And I've been sleeping really well the last several nights. I rather like that.

And I have gained many things from making all of these changes. I have money in my bank account. I have self-respect again. My moods are way more stable. I'm less depressed and less anxious. I sleep well at night and have dreams again. I'm healthier and able to stick to a healthy diet and exercise almost every day. My memory and cognitive function is improving. I'm starting to go do more things again. I've started reading again. I'm doing better at work.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Steve. Congratulations my sober good friend. You're the best.:
Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I ran a mile today on the track. Big accomplishment for me. Day 165.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Steve, superb job on nine months.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hey Undies,

It's 11:49AM...oh cable guy, cable guy where art thou? The promised arrival window is 10:30-12:30. My money is on the ten minute slot of 12:20-12:30. God forbid I should live with broken cable...well, it is football season.

It is the most beautiful, sunny, Indian Summer Day here. I want to get outside doing things, soon. Plus, how can I listen to loud jams and play some air guitar when cable guy might peek in the open doors and catch me? Been itching for some Jethro Tull since they were batted around here a few days ago. However, Aqualung is my fav. Still remember the daughter that married off last weekend yelling downstairs for me to lower the music as she was doing homework.

Hey Tanja, how do you have so much land in NVa. We did a 5 year stint in Reston and Herndon about 20 years ago. Land like you spoke of there is like gold! We were packed in developments like sardines.

DG, Toots...check the thread out...game is on.

DP, I hope the day in VT is the same as here...breathtaking.

Hi sandwich, so nice to make your acquaintance.

My best to the rest...
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Oh, Steve...I did wish you a 9 months, minus a day yesterday...why not double down and make it official...WooHoo on the accomplishment!!!

Any word on the promotion? Been thinking and sending positive vibes your way, mate! Okay, just not proper etiquette for a Spaniard to be throwing out a mate...sorry.

ENJOY the day, power eat to your heart's content!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
love love those good vibes, spread the love around Midnight

I'm in a cabin in Vermont with a good friend of mine so I won't be long here. She's doing a cleanse so she's not drinking but OMG, do I feel like having a glass of wine, there's a quarter left in the fridge. This cottage is picture perfect, with the fire and everything and it screams for a "nice" (poisonous) glass of wine. argh!!! Last time I was here, 3 years ago, we had nice wine and somehow I wasn't abusing that much then. But this is now.

AV go away go away. A nice cup of hot milk with honey is nice too.

I will write more I'm sure as SR is my PRN.

xoxo
I grew up in Northern Vermont on the Canadian border. Vermont is a great peaceful place. Enjoy the fresh air, and the beauty of nature.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

As I suspected...cable guy arrived at 12:28...just left...tube is working once again.

Killing time while he worked, looked at some junk mail. Get daily fitness and healthy eating tips from various sites.

DG...this is for you (see link below)...another "possible" beverage to give up? I quit diet soda the same day I quit drinking. Eat mostly fruit, veggies, healthy cereal, soy milk, yogurt. NutraBullet shakes...and my newest vice-homemade, or Sabra hummus, daily...just love that stuff. I am almost as intense about hummus as Adam Sandler was in "Don't Mess with the Zohan," cute movie.

Here you go, DG...

Never Ever, Ever, Ever Drink This (it's the absolute worst)
Why Diet Soda Bleepin' Sucks - The Alternative Daily

Are Diet Sodas Making Us Fat

Enjoy the day, Undies...cable guy gone, I am finally free to roam about the world!!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies)

Quick check-in from me. I am better today, shifting from dark blue to light blue moods)

Stevie - huge congrats to you on 9 months, buddy! I hope you'll get the promotion and well deserved less crazy working schedule)

Jim - I like you posting much) Keep having coffee) I am better today, thank you)

Samwitch - welcome back)

Grace - thank you for theses wonderful shiny vibrations! You've made my day)

My best wishes to all the Undies.

Have a great sober weekend)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Yes Vermont is , was glorious, it's getting a bit overcast. The cottage is in Waterville. We're on top of a small hill, surrounded by mountains.

We just came back from picking berries, blueberries, tomatoes, apples galore, beans. I don't particularly like gardening but it sure takes the AV off my mind. I'm craving a glass like crazy. It's the first time I find myself tucked away peacefully in the country and like all firsts, this too shall pass.

My friend has a 5 year old child and he's so pure, so innocent, so healthy and unspoiled by life, it reminded me how I too was a healthy pure of junk being, so it inspires me to become as pure and unsoiled as much as can be, as he is. I mean that spiritually too.

Have a great Saturday.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Oh and Steve, félicitations on the 9 months!!! You're really closing in on 1 year! Bravo.