Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 20

Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Grace, I'm on day 6 no coffee/caffeine. I think I'm starting to feel a bit better. I was pretty sleepy the first few days. I'll be honest, I do miss my coffee a bit. But I think I've been sleeping better. I feel like I dream more, and dreams are linked to the brain healing itself and good memory and emotional health. So, I think it's probably a good thing. I may take to drinking decaf coffee eventually, but it still has a small amount of caffeine in it and for the moment, I'm trying to avoid the stuff entirely. And I'm not laughing about Mr. Grace getting stuck in the tub, either!

It's day 50 no weed and day 150 no alcohol for me. They do sound like nice numbers.

I'm still feeling a bit 'blah'. Just a little down, not super depressed or anything, just not real excited about anything. So, that means time to figure out my to-do list for the day and start in on it. I have a lot I need to get done for work, and sometimes I get overwhelmed and it makes me not want to do anything. It gets me stuck in a bad cycle. I need to stress less and do more. I think I need to remember to take my recovery behaviors seriously and be engaged. I'm kind of at this point where I feel like I've been at this forever, although I know I'm still in the early stages. I've read a lot of other posts and it seems like kind of a normal feeling for months 3-9. Kind of a "This is it??" sort of feeling or something. I know I need to return to the basics and take things one day at a time and whatnot.

Hope everybody has a good sober day.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Just a brief look at the other side of deep and serious on this recovery journey. Not that there is anything wrong with that...(a Seinfield reference)...and even though it is only Thursday...I found this in an old post I made in my original class here...from Novi 10's, in 2010. Actually I was reading the Sept 13 class site and it prompted my desire to read the thread that I started here on SR with...years ago. To be honest...I wanted to reflect on what I am doing differently this time. I don't ever want to begin this sober journey ever again!!

Anyway, from a lighter side...opening day on Sunday...I am taking a girl that I went to high school with who was kind enough to teach me how to dance for my daughter's wedding. She wouldn't take cashola...only wanted to go to a Steeler game as payment for all of the burses I inflicted on her foot(s)...

HERE WE GO STEELERS....HERE WE GO

take that HD...yea, I'm trash talking, dude!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

As HD said "holy posting!" HD - Happy Belated birthday wishes. My condolences to you and your best friend on his brother's untimely passing.

DP - I absolutely loved the "3 steps for improving self-esteem". I will print it out and read it every day!

Carlos - That was a simply beautiful post on the relationship you have with your father-in-law. It's heartwarming to know that you both have such admiration and love for each other.

MB - You are closing in one whole year of sobriety. That is such a huge accomplishment. I hope you celebrate it in a meaningful way. I can so relate to try to getting to know myself better and learn to accept and love myself. I think the article that DP provided great advice in getting closer to that goal.

Steve - That is excellent news that you are in line for a promotion to site supervisor. How wonderful that you would have week-ends off. I have every confidence that you will get the job. Good things come to those who wait

WWG - I couldn't be happier for you. You really are an inspiration. You didn't drink over your job loss; instead you proactively starting attending AA and job searching at the same time. I am so glad that you getting strength and solace from the fellowship within AA.

Pippo - I am so sorry about the shock and loss of your father. Kudos to you for remaining steadfast in your sobriety when dealing with uncomfortable feelings.

Happyfeet - That's good news that the potential buyers were there for over an hour. I know in Virginia it is now a seller's market. Try and bear that in mind and not stress about it. Congratulations to the triple digit club

Boozefree - Thank goodness your baby is alright! Kudos to you on remaining sober through what had to be a very stressful time. Wow - I can't imagine picking up a 170 lb dog.

Welcome JJ - I think both Dee and Carlos have given you excellent advice starting your sobriety again.

Welcome johnatahn1! This is a great group of people with a tremendous amount of wisdom and compassion.

Toots - To answer your question on the background of my six dogs - I lost my precious Samoyed "Nicky" six years ago due to the bloat. He died in a very painful way. I simply fell in love with the breed. They are fun loving, affectionate and very child-like well into old age. I adopted another one that was named Layla. Then shortly after bought another one and named her Chole. I have a good deal of guilt about buying a dog when there are so many that are euthanized each year. I had never bought a dog before - only rescued them. I then lost my beloved "Mandy" chow/Samoyed mix due to cancer. I then adopted a Chow/Samoyed mix from an animal shelter in West Virginia. I have to explain that animals have been one of the few passions in my life. I have spent many thousands of dollars on saving dogs lives. I have saved about 100 dogs. My husband and I bought my parents house. It sits on 1.7 acres. I thought I would try and foster. The dog I received looked like a pit bull mix. He was only 4 1/2 months at the time and had spent a month at a very high-kill shelter in South Carolina. When I had had him only a few months, He picked up a dead squirrel in his mouth. I told him to drop it and instead he swallowed it whole. That necessitated a trip to the emergency room and set me back $8K. They had to remove a large part of his intestines. Less than a year later - he was throwing up and looking ill. Back to the vet and emergency vet. This time he swallowed socks. The surgeon operating on him said "I know this dog". This time he set me back $5K. He has issues. He doesn't know how to play, gets too aggressive with the other dogs and it has led to fights. Last year he attacked my cat "Libby" and fractured her ribs. That set me back $2k. I have tried to return him to the rescue that I got him from, but they will not take him back. They advertised him on their web site and I have never heard a thing. I have to keep Libby separate from him because she has a target on her back. I have spent at least another thousand on a trainer and training aids. I have difficulty even walking him because he starts pulling me, rough-housing and trying to get out of the leash. Two of the trainers I talked to said he has a strong prey drive and if given the chance will kill Libby. It is a very stressful situation to live with. Two years ago I came across some website that sends out pictures of animals that will be euthanized within days. I was retired by then and having a large lot thought I could at least rescue one more. I saw a picture of two young puppies that were only 2 months old. They were at a animal shelter in Texas with a 90% kill-rate. I paid to have them shipped to Virginia. The pups adore Peyton and he has been really good to them. They are a huge amount of work; not to mention expense. I had always thought in retirement that animal rescue would be the type of volunteer work that I would like to do. I can see now that I am simply not cut out for it. It is just too high stress. Instead I would like to put my efforts towards helping those suffering from addiction. I have an opportunity to help out with a rehab called "Harrison House" founded by a man I simply adore. His name is Steve and he is suffering from pancreatic cancer. He is an incredible inspiration to me. He has spent his entire life helping other alcoholics.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi all Can't believe I only just found this thread.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry for the shock and the loss Pippo.

D
me too Pippo---I'm sorry this had to happen to you.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Pippo, I'm sorry for what you're going through -- I expect it's bringing up a lot of pain. Are you close at all to your mother & brother?
Thank you, Courage. My mother moved into town recently and we see eachother and talk regularly. I'm only "close" to a couple of people in my life and she is definitely not one of them. I'm not close to my brother at all. We haven't spoken in years. I've got quite the family, I tell ya!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Walkin I'm really glad that you seem to be settling into your new job.

Oh Grace, poor P, give him a cuddle from me, I hope he feels better soon. I am ashamed to say, I more than likely would have sniggered at the situation, but would have felt really guilty about it!

PippoRossi I feel for you sweetheart, I am glad you have your brother and mother to share this with. My thoughts are with you all.

Nuway, good to see you posting here, a week in already, so you are doing well!

Happy Feet, you must be dancing sweetie, 100 days! That is so brilliant!! Tap dance the night away!!

Courage, Grace, what is it about big brothers! Mine used to make me stand in goal and blast soccer balls at me ( and those days the blooming things were solid and heavy- especially when wet!)

DP sending positive thoughts your way hon, fingers crossed for good news soon!

BF glad your baby girl is feeling better, maybe it was something she ate after all? She may have split it back up before showing her illness? Lets hope it is all behind her.

Jeff, it takes guts to come ack and admit that you slipped. I admire you for that. You ask now what? Nw you get back on the pony, with nearly 5 months experience. You know you can do it, now you need to figure what triggered your drinking and work on preventing it recurring.

Johnatahn Zoe, welcome, Zoe I love your pooch, I smile everytime I see one of your posts. Is it your dog or a photo? I just adore it!

Tanja, lor do you have your hands full!! I understand about it being stressful looking after rescue animals, I love my Molly, and she is total family, but I grew up in rural communities, and don't really get too sentimental over other animals. I am sure you would be a real asset to your friend in his work with beating addiction.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome to the newcomers to this thread.

Pippo, so sorry for your loss. DP--I really liked what you said about just having normal human emotions. I used to get irritated when people acted like everything in life was due solely to alcoholism. Good luck on getting a positive response!! Btw I'm currently reading The Next Best Thing about a TV writer and wonder how accurate it is. Fascinating stuff. DG--I feel blah too. Keep posting because it probably helps others who identify believe we can still stay sober even if some days are off. Hi also to toots, grace, Carlos, tanja, midnight, steve, and anyone I missed! It's hard to keep up!

I have to prep for my first two classes tomorrow. Usually I get excited and a bit of an adrenaline rush. Today? Nothing. There is one last application I'm waiting to hear back on (for an advisor, which would involve some of my old colleagues and would be perfect), so I didn't even unpack my (shared) office yet. There is still a tiny chance, but I'm not part of that union, and there are big seniority issues. I knew it was a long shot, but I threw myself into the application anyway. For now, I guess I'll teach the classes and unpack what I need. And try to get excited for the students' sake. For some of them, it's their first class in university, so I'll try to gear up some energy by tomorrow. Most of you know I'm an "adjunct," which means working full-time but getting paid almost nothing. But at least I get to do something creative. And it's never, ever boring. So I'm trying to get out of my negative attitude here. There is also crap going on with my brother--I won't bore people with details, but the care situation with my mom is causing a lot of anger. Maybe I need to exercise. Anything except drinking.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

hang in there Safeandsound. There are times when a person does wonder if this is all there is -------hi to everyone !!!!!
Babs
Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Yes for me too, it is a IS THIS ALL THERE IS day. At least I'm not getting drunk to forget the bad day. Nothing is happening. S&S, I should get hold of the book then I could tell you if it's accurate. For one thing, writing for drama is much better paid than writing for documentaries, which is what I do when there is work. In the meantime, I write some corporate stuff, for reports and website.

Tanya, I hope you'll be able to find a solution re. your difficult dog. Sometimes we want to save so much, we forget that some animals are just impossible to rehabilitate. I hope you'll be able to live with his "flaws".

MB, you're getting to one year? wow.

BF, so relieved to hear that your doggie is OK. pfiou.

I'm going to yoga so I'll say goodbye for now. I feel so down I just feel like sleeping but a friend told me that it's when we least feel like going to yoga that we need it the most. So I should listen to her. Bye bye.
xo
Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

.We Are As Healthy As We Are Ready To Take Responsibility For Our Own Thoughts And Behaviors! "
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

DP- I like that saying about yoga " that it's when we least feel like going to yoga that we need it the most." I often don't feel like going to yoga myself (maybe a bit of social anxiety?) But every time I go I feel so much better afterward.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi Again Undies,

Oh Pippo, the more I am hearing about your family dynamics, the more I truly identify. I’m not sure what type of catalyst it became for my excessive drinking...but, I suspect that it sure didn’t help. For now I am trying to keep it simple, believing that I can’t drink simply because I am an alcoholic. That’s really only why I can’t have that first drink. What brought me to those first drinks after long periods of sobriety I’m pretty sure came from some type of pain that I would try to mask as pleasure. Please stay sober through this shock!

Grace, how is Hubby doing today. It was quite the vision that it instilled. Or...has he come up with the perfect antidote for the “wifey's headache tonight”? Kidding. I really do hope that he recovers soon.

DP, I am sending out positive vibes for you to the TV exec’s in the Big Apple.
Next Monday I will be visiting with my guru, brain trust, and mentor from AA. I am certain that he can focus my research from the AA literature that links narcissism and alcoholism...so, if agreed, I must postpone our date on this matter till early next week. It's a guy thing.
Oh, I agree with your premise that sad can just be sad, sick/just sick, happy/just happy...however, in my case those symptoms/emotions must pass through the alcoholic wiring that has inflected me, thus amplifying or suppressing them in accordance and linked directly back through this disease. Simply put, my wiring is all (you know the word) up!

DG...Having been through the 3-9 gig more that a few times, I think you are spot on with your self diagnosis. I am again struggling with motivation...but only until I actually get doing, um, just anything. Them my day is off and pacing.Congrats on the 50/150, etc in your case.

Tanja...wow, thanks for the doggie stories. I must ask...why not purchase health coverage on them. When I last looked, it seemed to be quite reasonable. I absolutely love your desire to help other alcoholics. The depth of your knowledge about alcoholism and AA really struck me from the 1st day I joined this thread. Simply put, it would be a much different journey here without your input.

MB...I so agree with you on the challenge of finally getting to know and love myself in this sober skin. All I would add for me is the need to forgive myself...that might need to come first in my case. Thanks again for the beautiful poetry.

SAS...sending good vibes your way as you search for a new opportunity. Hoping it all works out and you can just stay put. Mind if i ask what subjects you teach, teach?

Toots...Busted, just want you to know that I am on to you. Well, really, I am now on to both you and DG’s true feelings about we XY chromosome types.
Went there
No thought of beware
Got a scare
Not so well did xy’s fair
Had to leave, as I have a pair
(just kidding, dudette’s)

Welcome to the Undie’s JJ, john, and ZoeM

The underlying reason for posting again today so soon is simple, really. I have had such an "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" while talking with people for business, and trying to resolve personal issues by phone. I know that I am lacking patience, and my interruptions were running at a near “sober” high per exchange…so I just came home to enjoy the comfort of SR prior to a much needed combo AA/NA mtg this evening., undies
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Undies -- this is quite the group! It's going to take me a while to figure out the pace.

But I do want to say...

Pippo, I'm sorry that it sounds like you can't rely on any of your family for support. I wasn't exactly estranged from my family -- just distant. Before my mom died last year I hadn't seen one sister more than once in a decade. But I'm only now realizing that my isolation from my family was both a cause and an effect of my drinking.

Safeandsound -- what subject do you teach and in what country/state? I really feel for adjuncts. The higher ed system really abuses your intellectual capacity.

Dorothy -- I gather you're a writer. Do you mind if I ask, were you productive in your field when you were drinking/drugging or whatever? How is it different now? I'm curious about the writing/drinking connection..., if you think there is one.

Welcome, Zoe!

Toots -- love your posts. I was the youngest -- were you? I think there's some research on birth order and alcoholism among children of alcoholic parents. I'm at least a 3rd generation alcoholic.

Grace, hope hubby is better. I have to admit the story made me giggle -- you paint quite a picture!

'Ta for now!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good evening Undies

It's been another beautiful day here but it's forecast to rain tomorrow, which is just typical as I'm off work. I've got to take my father for some blood tests first thing, then some grocery shopping and then picking the g. chid's up from school (they went back yesterday, yay!
Husband is still on the floor, but is slightly better than he was last night. He'll be as right as rain in a few days if he rests his back.

Hi Courage, brothers are evil!

So pleased for you Matthew, this new job is like a fresh start. I think it's just great that you are still going to meetings and sharing too, who'd a thought it?

Nuway, I'm just so glad you've joined us, I was hoping you would. You were so kind to me back in our August class and I've not forgotten. There are some really lovely people here, in fact they are all lovely and we talk about all kinds, no topics barred, we have a few laughs and a few tears occasionally too.
You know all about the A. v and the sly tricks it tries to play so stay vigilant and stick close. xxx

Dorothy, that's so true, we have good days and bad days whether we drink or not, that's just life, it's just that they are so much more intense when we are drinking. We cope so much better when we're not!
All my positive vibes and lots of love sent your way tonight Ms Parker. xxx

HD3, did our posts make you that tired?

B.F I'm really please to hear that your girlie seems okay, lets hope she stays that way. Wow, that mastiff was some weight! It's a wonder you didn't do your back in.

Welcome to the Undies JeffJanon, you'll find lots of support here. What you do now is pick yourself up, dust yourself down, learn from what happened, draw a line under it and move on. It's gone now, today's a new day. Just focus on one day at a time, baby steps all the way, keep posting and reading and stick close.

Hi Carlos, that's some good advice you've given there.

Welcome to the Undies Johnatanh, it's good to have you with us sharing the journey. How are you doing?

Happyfeet, congratulations, 100 days is pretty damned good.

DG, you are such a strong person giving up three vices in such a short time, I really admire you, you are doing so well. I really am okay up to now with no coffee but I didn't drink vast amounts of it compared to some. I'm not going to miss it.
The blah feeling does pass, just go with the flow for now, we abused our bodies for a long time ( well I did!) so we can't expect to feel on top of the world straight so quickly, all we can do is live for today.

Carlos enjoy the opening day and watch your friends feet!

Tanja, thank you for telling that story about your dogs, wow, they have cost you a small fortune. I hope something works out for Peyton soon, you can't go on like that indefinatley, It must be like walking on egg shells
You are a very special lady and I know you will be a great source of comfort and help to any poor addicted souls who may cross your path.

ZoeM, a very big welcome to the Undies, I'm glad you've joined us, the more the merrier, stick with us and enjoy.

Hi Babs, good to see you as always.

I hope you're feeling better Pippo, I know you weren't close but it still doesn't stop you hurting.

Hi Toots, how is your week going, I hope you're enjoying yourself. P is a little better today and I laughed my head off when I saw him, he can take it!

S&S just take each day as it comes and make the most of it, things have a way of working out.

Dorothy enjoy the yoga, I would love to be doing it with you.

Ha Carlos, 'the wifey headache' hmm the thought did cross my mind, though I must tell you that it's him who gets the headaches, lol. It's such a myth about younger men!! And that's all I'm saying on that subject!

Off to bed now, on my own, he's on the floor again!!!

G'night all

Gxx
Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Carlos, love the poem. Don't take toots and I's feelings too harshly. After all it's not your fault one of your chromosomes is missing a leg!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Checking back in. After class prep (literature for those who asked), I was so tired and blah I just lay down and didn't work out. Today found out I owe almost exactly my first month's paycheck for taxes. I claimed student loan interest the last two years, which you can't do in Canada for US loans (oops).

Quick gratitude check: grateful for my beautiful, dumb kitty (really--she chases toys and runs into the wall sometimes, or falls off the bed because she can't judge the edge! But she has huge green eyes and a tiny kittenish face at age 3). Grateful for a husband because I couldn't afford rent this month otherwise--sadly not kidding. And he is also loving and kind and even cooks!! I hesitate to tell people that because my work colleagues always got jealous. But I do appreciate it deeply since I am awful in the kitchen. I think he has bamboozled me into being his sous-chef by teaching me knife skills recently.

That's all. Sorry for double-posting today. I'm having a hard time with AV and with my negative thoughts, so I'm trying to convince myself that life is still good. Thank you for the thoughtful posts!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

please post as much as you like safeandsound

D
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Carlos thank you for your encouragement. Just for the record, I write in french so I work with France, Quebec and Belgium so no TV execs from New York . Mind you, I could do it, I'd just need to hire a reviser.

Courage, I never drank on the job, ever, never. But when I finished my day, sometimes around 9, 10, even 11 pm, I'd get drunk. On a bottle. And I never had a hangover so I could always start well the next day. Sometimes, if I went to a party and had more than 5 glasses, then I would feel bad the next day and it's as if the guilt made me work harder and better somehow. As for the writing itself, drinking made it worse and disorganised since I got drunk after 2 or 3 glasses. so...Mind you, some of my personal creative writing I did with a glass of wine and there is some good stuff there that only an altered consciousness could achieve. Overall, my writing has not changed if somewhat a bit stronger now that I'm no longer withdrawing and that I'm less anxious so less disorganised I guess.

Welcome Jonathan and Jeffjanon, Nuway adn ZoeM (At first, I read you rname as ZoedeM, cute!). It's a good thing Grace mentions everyone of us so I can just read her post and steal the names.

I tend to only write to whoever I happen to cross on the thread, otherwise, I'd never pluck up the courage/time to write.

Carlos, forgiving oneself. That's a hard one. I have one thing I really need to forgive myself for. Hopefully, I will do it with sobriety on my side.

S&S, it's very sweet that you wrote a gratefulness list to make yourself feel better. You do have lots to be grateful for. I also have a "crazy" cat and she does make me feel better.

Grace, you're sure your husband is happy on the floor?

Toots, Pippo, HD, DG, Dee, Happyfeet (good luck with the house), BF (I'm sure 170 lbs must have included your weight too no? LOL, Tanya, Murch (?), Babs, and everyone else I didn't mention, have a good evening and thank you for this amazing virtual friendship.

xo