Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 10

Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Lol Liz, of course it's considered riding! I started off with much shorter rides but I feel so good when I do it that I've worked up to longer ones. The right way to do it is to take it slow.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Ok, you have my attention! What type of bike do you suggest? A road bike? Mountain bike?

Still 4 weeks of recovery (from op, not SR!) for me to go and although I can walk and do every day, I can soon start swimming (agh!) and, of all things, bike riding.

Any suggestions, Liz, Siesta, L2H?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

For starting out, I recommend a mountain bike for their versatility unless you only want to ride on the road. Always try to spend a little extra and buy one from a bike shop if you're getting a new one. There are so many different types of good bikes out there now that any one you enjoy riding is a good buy. Just don't be intimidated by the high end bikes because you don't have to spend much to find a very good bicycle.

But do invest in good cycling shorts and a helmet stylish enough it will be worn. Those 2 accessories may seem unnecessary but when you need them they save a rider from pain, injury, or both.

Feel free to ask any questions here. Siesta and Liz will also have lots of 2-wheel tips.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am getting impatient for this hamstring to heal so I can run. I think I may try cycling like Liz, L2H and Siesta.

I am leaving town again tomorrow for my Dad's house. He has sounded confused and boozy the last few times I talked to him. My brother and family (wife and 3 grown daughters) are going to be there visiting, too.

My childhood home will be a challenging place full of triggers. Alcohol of all kinds for the six of them, and most troubling, a house still filled with all my Mom's clothes. She died 3 1/2 years ago. He can't/won't give them away despite our gentle urging. Poor Dad. I am optimistically hoping that he will have finally found the strength and taken them to the church.

I am going "armed" with lists of meetings nearby, my sponsor here waiting for my call or text and my online access to you.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

With all this swimming and biking and running going on, team January has enough people for at least 2 triathlon teams, perhaps even 3! Wood -- Has it stopped raining in Alabama? Are you in your luxurious pool yet? Put down the Canadian bacon and cheese curds & get swimming laps, man!

hmmmm ... we need a team name ... thinking ....
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Ok, you have my attention! What type of bike do you suggest? A road bike? Mountain bike?

Still 4 weeks of recovery (from op, not SR!) for me to go and although I can walk and do every day, I can soon start swimming (agh!) and, of all things, bike riding.

Any suggestions, Liz, Siesta, L2H?
Suggestions about swimming? You're an Ozzie!? good lord, please give me some :-)

Suggestions about biking? Well, as L2H suggested, I ended up with a basic mountain bike, a good helmet, a bell, portable bike pump and basic lock. 'still working on the bike shorts ... I like the wider tires on a mountain bike and the sturdy frame. Road bikes weigh slightly more than my 2 cats; not nearly enough solid mass between me and the road, thanks ... Good luck with your purchase!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Reeny,
I ride a road bike. Not into the mountain bike thing myself because I want a lightweight bike that goes fast. I think for starters though a mountain bike would be easier to get used to. I think the seats are slightly more comfortable and you probably won't have clip in pedals which usually cause a crash for newbies. (Knock on wood). My hubby is a bike sales rep so I don't worry about the cost but I would suggest trying to find a female bike shop. I have a great one that is super helpful. They hold flat repair clinics, which is cool to know how to do, although we women can usually count on a gentleman to stop and help. Good luck! Btw there is a thread on here called kicking asphalt that is all about running/cycling. Check it out for more advice.

Piano, I used to run, but now whenever I pass a runner on my bike I always think to myself, "thank god I'm not running" It's just too hard on my body. Working on a boat, my knees aren't so good anymore. The bike is much more forgiving.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Never mind Reeny, hubby says mountain bikes are for the dirt, road bikes are for the road. As simple as that. that's what I get for trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post

Feel free to ask any questions here. Siesta and Liz will also have lots of 2-wheel tips.
Thanks, L2H, Liz and Siesta - good advice and a clear message coming through!

Stay strong, pianowoman! You can do this!

Where's wood?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Where's wood?
Sorry I've been AWOL. I started going back to the office full time this week, and have been playing catch-up ball. The hip is 90% and I'm getting around pretty good sans cane. Glad to hear about all the fitness activities. I'll be back in the gym myself in a couple of weeks when a new center that I joined opens. Have a great day!
Best,
W
Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting about your pending trip to see your family, Piano. Travelling back to childhood places can be emotion stirring. I hope it goes very well.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi friends, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, so I'm just shaking my head. Good news: I don't have to sleep on the floor on an aerobed. Bad news: reason why-floor and furniture in the living room is covered with my Mom's clothes. They are even hanging on the door to the room where I stay. AAK! The weather is good, I have my plan- a run around the lake, farmer's markets, yard work and a meeting or two tomorrow.

I will occupy myself with thinking of a name for our amazing triathlon team.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Sorry I've been AWOL. I started going back to the office full time this week, and have been playing catch-up ball. The hip is 90% and I'm getting around pretty good sans cane. Glad to hear about all the fitness activities. I'll be back in the gym myself in a couple of weeks when a new center that I joined opens. Have a great day!
Best,
W
Good to hear you're back at work, wood. I'm going a bit crazy after 2 weeks at home/off work. Know I need to recover but feel a tad down. Not drinking though.

Great plans, piano!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're back at work, wood. I'm going a bit crazy after 2 weeks at home/off work. Know I need to recover but feel a tad down. Not drinking though.

Great plans, piano!
Looks like it's very cold in Tasmania these days, Reeny. At least you're convalescing while the time is right to be indoors. Hang in there because you'll be finding your stride again when spring arrives to your area.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks, L2H. Patience is not one of my virtues but I'll stay strong. Might brave the wind and cold for a morning walk through the bushland.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

It's quiet around here. Hope that means everyone is safe, happy and securley sober.

Enjoy the weekend, Januarians! I just picked up a new cycling helmet that will soon be used.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It's quiet around here. Hope that means everyone is safe, happy and securley sober.

Enjoy the weekend, Januarians! I just picked up a new cycling helmet that will soon be used.
Enjoy your ride, L2H!

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too reeny and everyone

D
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

It's quiet around here.
Team January is clearly running, swimming and biking its way to fitness and has no time to post :-)

As a kid/teenager I enjoyed 3K track running and 5K X-Country running and have been meaning to get back into this for years, so I signed up with 7,500 other hopefuls to run 5K as part of the Toronto Marathon weekend in October. I'm in decent cardiovascular shape because of the lap swimming, but wow, did my rear end ever hurt after that first tentative 3K run-walk this week. Even more so than the inaugural bike ride a few weeks ago! Am I too old for this?? Well, goal for the 5K is to run -- not walk -- every step; never mind the time ...

It's amazing how much time has freed up since the nightly drinking has ceased. I've always had a lot on my plate and didn't think it was possible to fit anything more into a fairly full schedule, but no, apparently there's a commemorative t-shirt and finishers' medal awaiting me yet :-)

A safe, fit and sober Friday to all!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi class, checking in late. Worked long hours today and have to go back tomorrow and Sunday. Hope you are all well