Class of January 2013 Part 9

Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Carlotta - Yay!!! Good for you!!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Alison and I are twins in sobritety. Today I am 6 months too
Félicitations on 6 months, Carlotta! Super job!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Many congratulations, Carlotta and Alison! Six months=AWESOME!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Congrats, Carlotta and Alison!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Twins in sobriety both from booze and from candy crush. Hurrah. Congratulations Allison and Carlotta!!!

Celebrate with chocolate !!!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Carlotta

D
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
W --

What a lovely couple of days you have ahead of you, then! You mentioned slow progress on the novel, but this sounds like it’s worth another few days of procrastination. If you ever need a motivational kick in the behind in the form of feedback (postive, promise), send me a chapter. I’ve edited more than a few things (albeit non-fiction) and have devoured a respectable handful of thrillers / detective stories … Note: If the butler did it on page 1, that’s not a good thing.

hmmm … since Grandpa now requires the boy to earn his keep weeding the veg garden instead of catching and gutting his own dinner, perhaps I could tempt him to Ontario with the (by comparison) princely sum of minimum wage ($10.25 / hour) to weed my overgrown perennial gardens? Add that to the original 50 bucks and he’ll have enough money to buy his first boxed set of Wagner’s Ring Cycle! yes!

L.
Liz,
I appreciate and will keep the critique offer in mind - I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. The Ontario gardening job for my grandson sounds great, albeit his mother may have something to say about it. We may have to give it a couple of years.
Best,
W
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months, Carlotta. Such a great milestone - merveilleux!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class,

Well I think I am definitely officially a non drinker. You know I go to AA and I of course admit I am an alcoholic there but when it comes to my meditations and visualizations, I think of myself as a sober woman rather than alcoholic or non (negative) drinker. Ok, maybe I am getting too much into those rules of attraction books LOL.
Yesterday, I ran into a friend who works at the food bank I volunteer at. Businesses and people will donate the craziest things (we even have gotten caviar before! on another hand, getting proteins >eggs, meat etc. is like pulling teeth) and he told me that someone donated a bunch of French wine that unfortunately cannot be given to the clients.
Isn't it a shame btw the assumption in this country that if someone is low income they have to be an alcoholic or drug addict? ok off my soap box and back to my story LOL
He asked me if I wanted the bottles and I said:
- no thanks but why don't you donate them to the senior center (the senior center serves meals with wine).
What is so neat is that my response was just so matter of fact, without even giving it any thoughts...it just downed on me this morning, this is what a non drinker would say. I did not hesitate, did not even think, my alcoholism and the AV never went into play.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome Carlotta

D
Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Carlotta, great post. I especially feel good when I'm driving on a weekend night. It's just recently that my default response stopped being "I can't drive, it's Saturday night...". Its a liberating change to not need to plan around being drunk!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
That's awesome, Carlotta, great post. I especially feel good when I'm driving on a weekend night. It's just recently that my default response stopped being "I can't drive, it's Saturday night...". Its a liberating change to not need to plan around being drunk!
Agree, Carlotta and L2H. The default mode seems to be shifting. 200 days for me today - yoohoo!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

OK I am finished with Candy Crush saga. I downloaded another game app which is much better anyway Jurassic Park Builder. It is based on Jurassic Park and it is free. You get to research, breed and feed your dinosaurs and build your own Jurassic park. I think when you have 5 carnivors you can go on red alert and hopefully that s when the people in the little car get eaten
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ssicpark&hl=en
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

I have been hiking, boating and exploring by jeep in the wilds of Montana, Idaho, Washington, and especially Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. I was blessed with little or no cell or wifi connection. Those mountains gave me a serenity,peace and strength that I have not felt in years. Sobriety gave me the gift of this experience. No way could I have gone on this adventure when drinking.

Thanks for all the laughs and words of wisdom from you over the last week. WH, Allison and Carlotta, congratulations on your 6 month milestones. To all you Candy Crushers out there, one day at a time. That thread had me chuckling.

Hoping I will be able to capture some of the feelings I had in the mountains and take them back to the real world. I know going through the airports past those easily accessible bars will be hard. I will be alone, temporarily accountable to no one.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Sounds brilliant, pianowoman. So much to draw on to stay strong as you continue to turn away from the grog.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

hey gang! Carlotta - love that story, what a great feeling when not drinking becomes your "normal" now... Went out for dinner on Friday night with hubs to celebrate 6 months. Ordered a bottle of San Pelligrino sparkling water, they served it in a wine glass. Ugh. It made me so uncomfortable!! So I took my regular water glass, chugged the water down, and poured my San P into a regular old cup - problem solved! Weird how little things like the shape of a glass could be a trigger, but I just didn't like the feeling of that wine glass in my hand.
Watched a movie last night - Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead - basically about the benefits of juicing and doing a juice fast. Hubs and i just borrowed a juicer from his parents and going to try it out. If we can get the hang of it, thinking of trying a week long juice fast. I was laughing last night - gave up booze, cigarettes, drinking green smoothies every day - now onto juicing... what's next?? Seems one positive change builds on another..
pianowoman - that sounds like an amazing trip. Remember you are always accountable to one person - yourself. Maybe no one else would know if you drank - but you'd know, you'd feel the effects, and the after effects, and you'd probably punish yourself worse than anyone else could. Stupid, overpriced airport bars have nothing you need!

-Alison
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Wow, that must have been an incredible trip, Pianowoman. I've never been to that part of the country but it's on the list.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

What a nice trip ! I yearn for a place of solitude such as this.

On another subject, I've finally DELETED candy crush. I was at level 38 and it drove me nuts. Made me sad to see me so hooked I could say goodbye to 5 hours without a blink. That game is toxic. So now, I'm taking care of myself, softly, with good stuff. Accountable to no one but me. It's a bitter sweet thought but a position of strength too. Hope all of you had a nice week-end.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
Wow, that must have been an incredible trip, Pianowoman. I've never been to that part of the country but it's on the list.
Don't forget Tas, L2H!