Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 9

Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You have a pool Woodhead? I am coming over, I love swimming and would kill for a pool, it's really hot here we are not used to the heat in Seattle LOL
I have been exercising too, mainly walking and it is a great way to deal with stress.
I just went through 3 horrible stress filled days at work but it turned out ok and more importantly I did not pick up and had no desire to drink. I just hung around SR a LOT and made sure I went to daily meetings.
Reeny, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you the best for your surgery and don't forget your smart phone so you can keep in touch from the hospital.

Sending a big group hug to my fellow Januarians
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
You have a pool Woodhead? I am coming over, I love swimming and would kill for a pool, it's really hot here we are not used to the heat in Seattle LOL
Carlotta,
Come on down and cool off!

Liz and L2H,
I guess I've been lucky on that front - nobody seems to give a rat's azz about my quitting, except my wife who thinks it's great. Ignore the unenlightened - you are doing what's best for you and your family.
Best,
W
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Stay cool, Carlotta. It's been cooler here in July which means 90d F and 99% humidity. The Atlantic is a short walk away, though. I miss the clean feel of a pool like Wood has at his house.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Let's all go to Woodhead's pool party and I guess that's what Reeny would tell us
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
I've noticed similar reactions, Liz. Sometimes it really $&#%^ me off when an old friend or family member looks down on me for quitting. I've caught a few "you should have just controlled yourself so you wouldn't have had to stop" moments. Well, even if I could (and I never will be able to) moderate alcohol it is still a harmful drug.

Sorry for the rant. I've mostly kept to myself about stopping but yesterday was ridiculed by coworkers for being a teetotaler (turned down happy hour). Funny coming from that bunch of red faced drunks.
L2H -- ouch. Try to ignore them; they simply don’t know any better, or conversely, they know all too well and are reacting quite predictably. To a degree, I do care what good friends and family think. Most who’ve noticed have been very positive, but perhaps a few are thinking the same thing re: You should have controlled yourself and then you’d be able to enjoy a glass of wine with us, but if so, they’ve had the good sense and manners to keep it to themselves.

Co-workers are tricky. One gave me an updated map of our local Wine Country Tour two weeks ago. I smiled, thanked her & recycled the map at home. That was easy. Our group doesn’t do weekly/monthly Happy Hours, but instead celebrate milestones -- marriages, births, retirements -- in style. There are two of the latter coming up in August and it’ll be obvious that I’ve quit.

However, as so, ahem, elegantly put by Wood, I’m sure most won’t give a rat’s rear end that I’ve quit, but that doesn’t mean they won’t make a comment. I’ve worked here a dozen years; they’ve never seen me at an after hours event without a wine glass in my hand. I am quite prepared for the “What?! YOU, wine-lovin’ Liz, are not having wine??” … followed by the now familiar refrain of, “What the hell is wrong with you?” I’m prepared for this! “No and nothing, thanks for asking.”

Carlotta -- I’m off soon to the Big U pool for a 1.5 km swim. I’ll race you to Wood’s pool though ... :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Let's all go to Woodhead's pool party and I guess that's what Reeny would tell us
Gawd help Mrs. Wood. So far we've threatened to show up en recovering alcoholic masse expecting to "enjoy" some Southern hospitality in the form of death salad & innards. And now we want to swim in the pool. hmmmm ... based on original plans for the grandson a while back, I say we inventory our spades, hoes, rakes, pruners and wheelbarrows to make sure we're able to earn our keep whilst sunning ourselves poolside.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
Gawd help Mrs. Wood. So far we've threatened to show up en recovering alcoholic masse expecting to "enjoy" some Southern hospitality in the form of death salad & innards. And now we want to swim in the pool. hmmmm ... based on original plans for the grandson a while back, I say we inventory our spades, hoes, rakes, pruners and wheelbarrows to make sure we're able to earn our keep whilst sunning ourselves poolside.

Lol, guests from afar are treated like royalty in our homes. It would bring bad mention of my family, though, if I didn't do some work while staying at Coach's place.

If y'all go to Wood's I will ride my bike there for the meet up.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

You got it in one, Carlotta!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Reeny! Hope you are on the mend and feeling well.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Hello all dear fellow Januarians and thank you for your really kind thoughts and wishes. Like wood said, it's a real honour to have such thoughtful friends who are there for each other.

Surgery had a few complications and I had to go back to theatre then I had an allergic reaction to the anti-biotic and was a comical sight for a day or so (swollen face). Feeling a lot better today and go home tomorrow.

It was great to read all your postings; now to get ready for the pool party!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear things are going well now Reeny

D
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Reeny! Hope you are on the mend and feeling well.
Thanks, L2H. Now to get back to being able to take you on for a fitness challenge! Give me 3 months!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad to hear things are going well now Reeny

D
Thank you, Dee.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Thanks, L2H. Now to get back to being able to take you on for a fitness challenge! Give me 3 months!
That sounds awesome, Reeny. Take it easy and enjoy the forced leisure for now. It's crazy to think in 3 months we'll be deep in Autumn while you and Dee will be with Spring. In case you missed it, Dee joined us 46 yr olds yesterday...or 2 days back in 'Stralia.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Administrator

just one day L2H - don't make me any older than I already am LOL

D
Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

If y'all go to Wood's I will ride my bike there for the meet up.
Low Country in your avatar location + the mention of Bulldogs whilst discussing cowbells a while back makes me think you're coming from Georgia. That's a long trip. hmmm ... As long as there is no mention of the journey's necessary lancings and drainings upon arrival , then saddle up & see ya there!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Hello all dear fellow Januarians and thank you for your really kind thoughts and wishes. Like wood said, it's a real honour to have such thoughtful friends who are there for each other.

Surgery had a few complications and I had to go back to theatre then I had an allergic reaction to the anti-biotic and was a comical sight for a day or so (swollen face). Feeling a lot better today and go home tomorrow.

It was great to read all your postings; now to get ready for the pool party!
Reeny -- Great to see you back! Sorry to hear about the complications following surgery, but I'm sure you were in good hands and I hope you're now feeling better. Sending you get well wishes from across the oceans! L.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

pool party

You all will be received with the best of southern hospitality. Swimming in the pool, boat rides, and traditional southern cuisine (not to worry Liz - traditional in this case means delicious with no element of gruesomeness) will be the order of the day. Y'all come!

Reeney - glad to hear you are doing well.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
Low Country in your avatar location + the mention of Bulldogs whilst discussing cowbells a while back makes me think you're coming from Georgia. That's a long trip. hmmm ... As long as there is no mention of the journey's necessary lancings and drainings upon arrival , then saddle up & see ya there!
Bulldogs = University of Georgia. I reside in the Charleston area, Liz. I could make it in 3-4 days assuming I don't end up a hood ornament compliments of a driver texting. How did your long swim go?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Today is wifey's bday. Presents have been given and now we're off to the Georgia aquarium in ATL. Never been, but hear it's great.

Have a great sober day everyone - I'm going to!