Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 9

Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
It's my youngest's Bday tomorrow.
Dude, your sobriety date is in your tagline ... my finger is hovering over several fireworks smilies ... kindly confirm :-)

S/he's likely too young to appreciate the significance -- and appropriately focused on prezzies and cake! -- but how nice for you that these special days coincide. I can't imagine a stronger motivator to keep on the straight and narrow.

C.o.n.g.r. ....
Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
Dude, your sobriety date is in your tagline ... my finger is hovering over several fireworks smilies ... kindly confirm :-)

S/he's likely too young to appreciate the significance -- and appropriately focused on prezzies and cake! -- but how nice for you that these special days coincide. I can't imagine a stronger motivator to keep on the straight and narrow.

C.o.n.g.r. ....
Damn, I've been so elated on good news from several fronts that I forgot that today is my 6-month sobriety date. Woohoo! I'll never go back to the old way of living, and to quote the great philosopher Forrest Gump - "and that's all I got to say about that!"

Thanks SR friends.
Best,
W
Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Damn, I've been so elated on good news from several fronts that I forgot that today is my 6-month sobriety date. Woohoo! I'll never go back to the old way of living, and to quote the great philosopher Forrest Gump - "and that's all I got to say about that!"

Thanks SR friends.
Best,
W
atulations :-) A great milestone & very inspirational!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations Woodhead
Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Congrats, Wood! Thanks for be Gump quote, too.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Congratulations, woodhead!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
Congrats, Wood! Thanks for be Gump quote, too.
I am generally drawn to thrillers, but in my humble opinion, Forrest Gump is the greatest movie ever made. It has comedy, love, tragedy, action, and thrills - pretty much anything you could want in a flick is there. The author of the book, Winston Groome is a damned fine writer as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Congratulations, woodhead!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

After 6 1/2 months, I asked my son (the one who knew about my closet drinking) whether he noticed I hadn't been drinking. His response? Oh, you should have a drink sometimes! ... Immediately, the AV kicked in and I'm subconsciously planning my next drinking session. Argh! Guess I was expecting something a lot more affirming. But not that, why did it have to be that?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
After 6 1/2 months, I asked my son (the one who knew about my closet drinking) whether he noticed I hadn't been drinking. His response? Oh, you should have a drink sometimes! ... Immediately, the AV kicked in and I'm subconsciously planning my next drinking session. Argh! Guess I was expecting something a lot more affirming. But not that, why did it have to be that?
Unfortunately, we sometimes cannot control other people's stupid mouth. Think of all the benefits of NOT drinking and write them down immediately. If you start planning your next drunk, walk it through till the end (ie full relapse and what brought you here).
What we can learn is to not let other people affect us, it takes time though. There are days where I still work on that one:"what other people think of me is none of my business".
Hang in there please, you are doing so good!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Just don't pick up, Reeny. Your son doesn't have a true conception of how alcohol makes you suffer. You'd regret it if you caved. (When I tell you, "Don't pick up," I'm preaching to myself, too!).

Congratulations, Woodhead, both on your clean bill of health and on your 6 month milestone. How fortunate you are to be spending the weekend with a bunch of tweens! You must be a very gracious guy!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Just don't pick up, Reeny. Your son doesn't have a true conception of how alcohol makes you suffer. You'd regret it if you caved. (When I tell you, "Don't pick up," I'm preaching to myself, too!).

Congratulations, Woodhead, both on your clean bill of health and on your 6 month milestone. How fortunate you are to be spending the weekend with a bunch of tweens! You must be a very gracious guy!
Thanks Gilmer, the wife and I are beat. She's napping and I'm watching a movie. The boy is cataloging his booty.

Reeny, you've come too far to go back. You would regret it. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
Best,
W
Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Plus if you got drunk, felt and broke your other hand, you would not be able to chat with us on that thread anymore and we would all miss you

Seriously, if the stupid AV is trying the "I will show them" old trick, shut it down by saying that you would prove nothing and just hurt yourself.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Woodhead--Ah, it's a bunch of boys! Having raised both genders through all ages, I think I'd be much more sane with a bunch of 12-y-o boys than a commensurate gaggle of girls!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Boys don't screech!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Boys don't screech!
Yeah, but they romp!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Have the flood waters receded?
[...]
The only 2 times I delivered a spanking was 1) when my daughter held a crayon at shoulder level and marked the whole house (white sheetrock walls), and 2) when my oldest son threw sand in the dog's eyes. The kids have mostly turned out ok, except for the son that got involved in drugs. At least they all love me, that I'm sure of.
W -- Yes, thanks. We lost power for 9 hours or so, and a lot of water pooled beside the house, but luckily nothing ended up in the basement. For the first time (ever?), I lost my colourful annuals to drowning; they're virtually impossible to kill, but when more than a month's rain falls in 2 hours, things are bound to suffer. There were people far worse off, however, so no complaints about 100 bucks' worth of flowers down the proverbial drain ...

Oh my, the joys and sorrows of parenthood articulated in a single paragraph, together with the prior post about your birthday child. But what a nice closing statement above. I feel a bit bad for my husband who always thought he'd be a dad, but we married in our 40s and his prior relationships produced no children, so it wasn't in the cards ... We have 10 nieces and nephews between us, whom we love very much and who think we're the bee's knees, mostly because they bat their eyes &/or pull long faces, and we do / give them almost anything :-)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Plus if you got drunk, felt and broke your other hand, you would not be able to chat with us on that thread anymore and we would all miss you
Hear, hear. I'd miss your posts, Reeny. Stay strong. How old is this son? Maybe he was trying to be supportive in his own way, without the benefit of some maturity regarding this subject, i.e., mum, you've done such a great job, now you can relax a bit and reward yourself with a drink ... gosh, how many times have I told myself this in the past?!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

You will come thru this craving just fine, Reeny. It's time to use that strong will of yours to beat it back. I throwing positive thoughts your way.

I loved the "Forrest Gump" movie, too, Wood. Many parts of it were filmed here in the Lowcountry.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
People who don't have our affliction cannot possibly understand all the ramifications....but we do.

I had one of the worst weeks I've had sober this last week - I didn't drink, and I sorted things out.

life is good again, and I'm really glad I have my recovery.

Stay with us Reeny

D