Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 9

Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Reeny, Wood, Piano & Dee -- Thanks guys. Sober time is flying by now. What a difference from January / February when -- despite a full schedule of work and activities -- the days seemed to drag on and on. I remember going to bed & reading @ 9 on some nights just to the get the blasted day over with. That now seems like a lifetime ago.

‘Shall be taking a min vac. starting on Friday (it’s a long weekend here) to the friendly state directly to the south. A Wagner opera for me and the Baseball Hall of Fame for the husband. Only in the U.S. could you find such a combination in one town! For such a small place, it’s also a great foodie town, so my chief complaint is that the holiday won’t be long enough.

A good Monday to all!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Congrats, Liz! Treat your husband to a Big Green Egg. Mine is one of my most cherished gifts. I'm envious of your trip, Piano. Wood, I used to love taking the fam to the GA Aquarium when we lived in ATL. Reeny, good on ya with getting back in exercise action. Hey Carlotta, farm frites with chili and cheese sounds pretty good.

My son worked me over on the dirt bike ride Saturday. I'm still walking around like the Tin Man after a rain storm. I've been contemplating the sober thing and can't believe I drank for so long. My life is much better without alcohol.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Liz,
My wife actually learned how to make cheese curds on a research trip to the Baltics (I forgot which country as she hit all three - Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia). She made them once here last year, and I remember not being too impressed, but add brown gravy and fries and I can see the potential. We will probably give it a shot - my boy was enthusiastic when I showed him a pic and declared "I want poutine!".

Congrats on 6 months, and hope you had a good bike ride today!
Best,
W
Good lad! What’s there not to like? & if he’s anything like my similarly-aged nephews, the less “green stuff” on the plate, the better. For the adults, I would recommend a side salad so the meal isn’t a total nutritional write-off.

The ride yesterday was good! Far less saddle sore today than following last week’s inaugural attempt. I think I made it up to a whoppin’ 6.5 kilometres! At this rate, I should be a viable contender for a stage victory in the Tour de France when I’m 100.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
Congrats, Liz! Treat your husband to a Big Green Egg. Mine is one of my most cherished gifts.
Thanks!

Of course I had to google "Big Green Egg," thinking you'd mixed up the point about my milestone and, accordingly, that my husband was supposed to treat me to some extravagant piece of emerald jewelry. But no, you meant exactly what you wrote and I'm intended to reward him for ... ah ... existing? with an elaborate man-boy toy. Harrumph As if that $100 Thermapen for his 40th wasn't sufficient :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
Thanks!

Of course I had to google "Big Green Egg," thinking you'd mixed up the point about my milestone and, accordingly, that my husband was supposed to treat me to some extravagant piece of emerald jewelry. But no, you meant exactly what you wrote and I'm intended to reward him for ... ah ... existing? with an elaborate man-boy toy. Harrumph As if that $100 Thermapen for his 40th wasn't sufficient :-)
Lol, the Green Egg is the smoker for your husband. Your six month reward.....a good pair of cycling shorts plus the bedazzling emerald jewelry.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Welcome back, pianowoman. Grizzly bears - we don't have them here down under. Try lovable koalas instead! Sounds like a great trip; hope you're soon over your injury. Loved your sister's reaction to your sobriety! And the fact you didn't sook about the understatement of it like I did about my son's!

Thank you all for your good wishes. Feel the best I have today since the op.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianowoman View Post
Liz, congratulations on 6months and thanks for those tips on cheese curds, one of my favorite local treats from the cheese states. They must be squeaky to be just right.
That's the key! Super squeaky = fresh. They're definitely an acquired taste :-) I have a mouthful of fillings and find the consistency like nails on a chalkboard; but for the sake of fries and gravy, I'll soldier on ...
Old 07-30-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Welcome home, Reeny. I'm glad you made it through the surgery well and are recuperating at home. Congrats on six months, Liz. And happy birthday, Dee!

My husband and I are on vacation at the coast of Oregon, which is why I haven't posted lately. I've done okay with the cravings, but this is our first sober vacation. The first night at the hotel was difficult because they had a free happy hour. In the old days, we would have drunk as much wine as we could take in the two hours. Instead of drinking, we went up to the hotel fitness center and I ran for 30 minutes! No more cravings after that! And this is petty, but it was amusing to see all of the hung over hotel guests at breakfast the next morning.

Now, we are at a beach house on the coast and we spend most of our days hiking or touring the little towns. It has been absolutely wonderful. We cook our own meals and enjoy club soda with lime or hot herbal tea in the evenings in front of the pellet stove. We wake up fresh every morning and excited for our adventures of the day. I'm so thankful to be sober. Thanks to you all for walking along with me on this journey.

Back when I used to eat dairy, I was a huge fan of the cheese curd. I have family in Wisconsin so cheese curds were a huge part of our travels there. Delicious!

Last edited by Greensleeves; 07-30-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo from cell
Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Congrats on six months, Liz.
[...]
Back when I used to eat dairy, I was a huge fan of the cheese curd. I have family in Wisconsin so cheese curds were a huge part of our travels there. Delicious!
Thanks, GS! Sounds like a lovely vacation; enjoy!
OK, Wood, get crackin' with those homemade curds; there are some hungry people here :-)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great trip, GS.

For a group of folks coming out of the dark tunnel of alcohol abuse Team January sure is a physically active, healthy eating bunch. It must be Coach Wood's influence.

I had a rough spot on Saturday night. Understanding the physiological damage of alcohol is what snapped me out of it. I never really considered drinking but was just having a brief pity party.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

L2H, we certainly are a group of interesting individuals. I also get through the rough times by remembering how alcohol had ravaged my liver, blood pressure, skin, sleep, brain function, and am reminded of how far I have come. GS, glad you are on a vacation. I love the Oregon coast.

My husband and I celebrated our 36th year of marriage today. (I'll bet some of you are thinking, "Egad - she's old!") I married as a very young 22 year old. During dinner I observed that this first year of sobriety is filled with sober firsts: hotel stay, plane trip, birthday, 4th of July, wedding, bridal shower, office function, evening with a friend, book club, anniversary, this list goes on and on.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great trip, GS.

I had a rough spot on Saturday night. Understanding the physiological damage of alcohol is what snapped me out of it. I never really considered drinking but was just having a brief pity party.
Way to go, L2H!

Thanks, GS. I'm getting a bit stronger each day but hate being dependent on others. Saw a naturopath today and could proudly say I was a n/s, n/d!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

I think the occasional pity party is normal, L2H. Key is that it was "brief" & didn't result in you picking up again. Now that's to be admired, not pitied! L.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianowoman View Post
My husband and I celebrated our 36th year of marriage today. (I'll bet some of you are thinking, "Egad - she's old!") I married as a very young 22 year old. During dinner I observed that this first year of sobriety is filled with sober firsts: hotel stay, plane trip, birthday, 4th of July, wedding, bridal shower, office function, evening with a friend, book club, anniversary, this list goes on and on.
Old? Pish pash, Piano! There are likely some youngens here, but many have mentioned their age, and a good handful of us Januarians are in our 40s and 50s. hmmm ... but with the same partner for 36 years? Well, that's another matter entirely :-) Happy Anniversary!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 36 year Anniversay, Piano! Thanks for the kind words, Liz and Reeny. I'm normally very upbeat but still learning to "feel" all the emotions. I guess it's all part of the process, right?

The place we were riding on Saturday also had a mud bog race. After the dirt bike race my son and I took a rest to watch the trucks, ATV's, dogs and people get stuck in the bog. I thought "if only Liz could see this mud hole filled with southern culture at play". Lol, it was a blast. A black Lab was declared the winner and his owner picked up the payout. We went back to riding dirt bikes as a heated protest was breaking out amongst the official and contestants.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Anniversary Pianowoman - I'm not that far behind you in vintage lol

time for a new thread guys:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html

D