Notices

Moms and Mums Club 2013 Part 2

Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
Can I ask. Are most people on this thread aiming for total abstinence?
I knew from day one I can never moderate. I actually have no desire to either, if I'm going to drink it's to get drunk. So total abstinence for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

My school year is coming to and end soon...so I may try AA in the summer. Its so hard to make time for a meeting now with work and the kids. I am really looking forward to seeing the therapist today!

Also, there is NO WAY I can drink in moderation!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amy2011 View Post
Ladybug my husband was the same way in early recovery. Alcoholism is a family disease and he has been affected too. He is trying to figure out how to navigate your relationship now while dealing with his own feelings. He is probably unsure whether your sobriety will last. My husband said that in the beginning my sobriety was like a magic spell he didn't want to break. He was afraid talking about it would break the spell, plus he was still angry and resentful towards me for all the pain I caused our family.
Good morning, ladies,

Thanks, Amy, I think you are probably right here. I have tried to quit drinking so many times and end up back at the same place so I am sure he is a bit apprehensive and worried this won't last. I should give the poor guy a break.

MLC, I, too, have tried moderation more times than I can count and all it did was prolong the inevitable ... and waste time. I think it was the wise Dee who said that alcoholism is progressive and gets worse even while we are not drinking? I have FINALLY accepted that I have that alcoholic brain chemistry and when I put one sip of alcohol in my body I will just crave more and more. Would explain why during my last few slips I skipped right past that nice, buzzed feeling and went right to black out, passed out stage Yeah, those days are over.

Inperfectlyme, I wish I could give you some ideas for some sober fun with the kids, but I am in the same boat. Summer triggers are everywhere and some days are just so overwhelming with trying to entertain my daughter and fight off the urges. One thing my daughter and I have done, lately, that has been really nice and fun (and holds no memories of drinking) is going for little picnics. Getting away from the house and back patio (where I would also veg with my wine while watching her play) is key for me right now.

So Day 27 and literally taking it an hour at a time. Hope you are all having a fun weekend!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

ImperfectlyMe send the kids to camp. I am a teacher and I send my youngest to camp for 3-4 weeks out of the summer. Trying to entertain kids all day is stressful. You are in early recovery so you need to focus on yourself and recovery. Also, they will enjoy getting out of the house too probably.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Kids bowl free is a great summer program for cheap summer entertainment. You register your kids online, pick a bowling center close to you, and the kids can bowl 2 free games every day and you just pay for shoe rental. You can also buy a family pass for around $25 which allows adults to participate too. There is also a kids skate free, but that program isn't as wide spread and only allows skating once or twice a week, but still free for kids. Check those programs out moms if they are offered close to you. My friends and I sign our kids up. It is a great way to socialize cheaply and out of the heat.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

This morning came much to quickly. I've GOT to start going to bed at a decent time again! I think I might have to nap with the kids today! Well it's gonna be blazing hot here so it might be a movie day.

Happy June to everyone! I can't believe this year is 1/2 over already.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Saturday night and we'r all chilling out and the mood is relaxed

It makes a change from last saturday, rushing the children out of the way so I could get trashed.

It's good to be sober
Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

How you holding up newpage?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi all frustrating day. Thought of drinking. I didn't, but it seems like my big trigger is my hypochondria. The slightest thing makes me worry I have some awful disease, then my anxiety goes into overdrive, and my old crutch of alcohol ( which always made me feel calmer....for a little while anyway) becomes a nagging desire.

I hope I can find a better way of dealing with this!:-(
Old 06-01-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Dolly....I feel the same way! I know that is why i relapsed! I am here for you if you want to chat.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

It's awful Eshetz! I have no idea when I started to get this way...I was never like that when I was younger. I hate too that along the way alcohol became the thing that calmed me.

I hope now that I have identified the trigger, I can come up with a way to combat it.

How long before you relapsed?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

6 years

Do you take anxiety meds?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I don't take any meds. My mom and my sister are both on anxiety meds (I guess I shouldn't be too surprised I have issues too), but I may need to bring it up to my doctor, because I don't want to go back to alcohol being my med if choice, or I WILL have health issues for real eventually.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

best thing I ever did Dolly was stop checking out my symptoms on Google.

D
Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Dolly had a rough craving day too made it through and glad it's over. I felt sad today that I couldn't drink like all the other moms at the party! I felt pissed at mysf for letting it get as bad as it did. I felt like I was serving a jail sentence for life because of bad behavior. I wrote a little and ride it out. Now almost 9 I'm glad I'm sober made it through this one and no I will wake up happy!

Dolly I'm sorry for your anxieties!! I know it's so hard to navigate when we get stuck in it! I hope a good night sleep will help you are going sooooo great!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Great job Imperfect!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks Imperfect! I do feel better knowing I didn't drink, and I know what you mean about being around others drinking and feeling rotten that we can't join in as a "normal" drinker.

It's not the people getting drunk that I am envious of, it's people like my in laws that only had 1 glass of wine at dinner, then stopped. Those people make me jealous as all hell!

I hope to eventually find peace with the fact that I am just not like that....and never will be. I take comfort in hearing people that have been sober for a long time say that it does go away.

We did good!!! Next up....tomorrow!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Similar experience today.....was at a bridal shower and EVERYONE was drinking.....I am so grateful that I didn't!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

On the bright side of my day...I helped my daughter throw a birthday party for our cat:-). Compete with a birthday cupcake with candle, presents, a pin the tail on the donkey type game she made up, and finally....she serenaded him on her toy guitar with a song she wrote for him:-)

Lol....damn I love that child!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi ladies,

Tonight was hard for me. Around 5pm I suddenly REALLY wanted a cold glass of Chardonnay. I wanted to sit out on my back patio, enjoy the warm evening and just unwind and relax, with wine. I went through a wide range of emotions - angry, frustrated, sad, cranky, jealous of my husband and everyone else who can really enjoy a few drinks, etc. I finally snapped out of it and made it through, but tired of it being so hard. 27 days today and I was so close to throwing in the towel. But, I didn't, and I am in bed now, sober, with my daughter snuggled up against me. Her little smile and kiss goodnight make this all worthwhile

How was everyone else's evening?