Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 3

Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

BIG HUGS to you TOD. Very sad.

Busy day here, kind of. Took down pictures, took down more curtains and junk. A lot of laundry going on, curtains and stuff. The house is looking less and less like home and more like a pit stop, which if you think about it, that's all its ever really been.
Just talked to my Dad, he offered to help us with the Marriott here in Aberdeen which is very cool because otherwise its costing us $80 a day and that is for a room with a microwave and mini fridge.
OOOH Two things sold today on Ebay. Didn't expect that!!!
And MIL has just said she will try to teach me how to crochet. Very cool.
Drat, just realized, DH poured me a Monster and I already drank like 3/4 of it. I'm going to be up half the night now. GAAAHH. I didn't realize what time it was and I was talking to my Dad while making dinner. OOOPPS.
Dinner tonight brings back memories. Rabbit braised in red wine (one of my old DOC) with green olives (went with one of my DOC) and I added a few juniper berries for the nice zing to the rabbit (yet another smell from my DOC GIN)
I smelled the juniper berries and kind of smiled simply because its been so long. No I'm not even remotely thinking about ever not going sober, its just I'm so glad because I am SOBER.
Am I making sense? Guess it is the Monster.
One week left guys, and the poop hits the fan sort of. Next weekend we pack our bags and prepare. Unhook tvs, unhook computers, and what not.
Sigh. I'm so done with moves like this.
I'm so glad we're almost done.

Still here still sober. And I'm praying for you & your family TOD
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

TOD, My Dad is on continuous oxygen. He has a portable oxygen concentrator in the car, we use tanks for going into places and then his big oxygen concentrator with a 50 ft. hose, so he can walk around his house. He tires so easily. I understand how much you love your father and how hard this is......very big hugs.

Munch, Wow - braised rabbit...you are a gourmet I can't believe you only have a week left....it's almost here.

We're in Alachua, FL tonight and should arrive at their place tomorrow after lunch. Mom flies in the next day, so we'll have things pretty settled, will pick her up, get groceries etc. I fly home Sunday Nov. 3....and yes TOD.....straight back to the JOB - lol!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Nah, not really. I am getting better though. Over time (and being sober helps) I've realized my Mom gave me some of the very basic skills but I don't know how to adapt as easily to a recipe. I'm learning now a days.
The masterchef home chefs are a inspiration to me.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Oops, forgot to check in here yesterday. Not that it was super busy. Sunday night we stayed up super late thanks to that Monster I drank at 5pm (dh drank one too around the same time). Then I followed that idiot move with taking a unisom at about 11pm. Monday I felt hungover all day long. YUCK. I don't miss that at all from drinking.
My stomach felt off, my head felt off. Nothing felt right. Didn't wash my hair yesterday morning and after I brought DS to his 8yr check up with his dr I told dh I HAVE to take a shower again and clean myself up. I looked rather ragged. Helped a bit.
Lately I have noticed (when I'm not on Unisom sleep which is not that often actually) that I have been sleeping really deep and in the morning, I just don't want to get up. My armband has been reporting about 7-9 hours of sleep a night which is good for me. I'm not worth anything if I get less than 7.

So anyhoo, DH is busy this morning, clearing. That means he's picking up his paperwork that allows him to go from organization to organization and they check him off when they see he has nothing outstanding there. Hopefully he'll be going to finance too.
I've been putting stuff away, and doing something I didn't think would be a tough job. Taking down the puzzles that were glued and put up in our closet. Its not physically demanding, its actually kind of sad. Some of the puzzles have awesome memories attached to them. From camping with my two guys that I love more than anything in the world, relaxing with hubby in the dining room, listening to podcasts. Putting puzzles together with ds while we share cookies and sip hot cocoa.
Others have some pretty miserable memories attached. Mostly all having to do with drinking. I have some old puzzles that I have yet to take down and as I look at each one, handle some of the older ones it makes me so sad to have wasted so much of my time doing something that almost ruined my life.
Thank God I am sober. I'm so grateful that now I can remember all those special moments, those hugs & cuddles from DS, those heartfelt conversations with DH.
I hope to add more to our puzzle collection. We'll hang them in the garage. All of the puzzles because I don't want to forget the mistakes, as much as I hate them (the mistakes, not the puzzles). I honestly want to look at some of those puzzles and remember "don't ever go there again"

Have a few other things to get done today. I think its almost time to take down all the sheer curtains and wash them really good. We have the two bedrooms upstairs that still have curtains up, this weekend we have to empty our waterbed. Fun fun.
Still have to do some "admin" type of chores too, like finishing up our spreadsheet for expenses and stuff. Dad hasn't gotten back to me yet on if he is going to cover us for the hotel reservation here. Hhhmm.
Today I really have to do a blog entry too, about the Moringa Oleifera tree.. Someone was asking me to write about that and since I'm having to chop it down because it obviously doesn't like the temp inside the house, I figure today is the day. I'm going to dry the leaves next, then make a powder out of them. That can then be added to smoothies, soups or teas for a health boost.
Well I gotta run. I still have things I want to get done before hubby comes home, then at 3pm I have an appt with my acupuncturist.
OH WOW! Dad just emailed me. He got the hotel for me! Very cool.

Still here still sober. And so ready to get this show on the road!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I posted the story on the HH about dad. He's being turned over to hospice.

TOD
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Posted over there. I'm come over there later on today.

Uggh, tired guys. Here I was just talking about sleep yesterday and last night I got so little of it.
Tossed and turned and turned and tossed.
Don't know if it was because we watched a movie last night and it bothered me a bit or was it because I had an acupuncture appt yesterday and it affected my sleep.
Have a headache today which makes things a bit more frustrating. Oh and I am going to go visit my old office today. YUCK YUCK YUCK.
Even put on makeup.
LOL
Well I'm still here, still sober.
TOD thinking of you.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munch: Just a few secs here!
Did you get any BP meds to help with those headaches?
Take a small amount of baking soda, add a drop of water to make a paste with it. Apply the paste to your cold sore for a few minutes. Then rinse it off. This should help clear up that cold sore quicker!!
Thanks for thinking about me and saying prayers. I gotta get ready to head over to my parent's house.

Pond: You are going thru what I'm going thru and seeing it too. I'm sorry! Jethro is having a problem with the fact dad hasn't made a commitment to the Lord. So he's being snappy towards me. Whatever! Jethro gets twisted over things, but he can't control other people's feelings and thoughts.

TOD
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

TOD, It is so hard to watch our father's fail like this........I'm so sorry Dad is so negative and needy with my mom....she was nearly in tears today

Munch, How is your BP? Are you getting organized for the move....it's close at hand.

Hugs to both you dear ladies
Old 10-31-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Happy Halloween all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
happyhalloween.jpg (51.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Love the picture Munch!!!

I've lost track of time. Aren't you at the brink of leaving now?

Gotta run and get ready to head to dad's.

TOD
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Thanks TOD. Yup, Monday is pack up day. Oh and Tuesday is...pack up day. And Wednesday is....pack up day.
Three fun days of it.

Completely forgot to come here and post yesterday because yesterday was a super busy productive day. Lots of laundry, cleaning house, putting stuff away, cleaning rooms, taking down Halloween decorations, etc etc.
Today we did loads of shopping and $300 later we added a bit to our acorn collection and we now have our two bins of cooking supplies for the drive across country. Remember, many of our stops we will be cooking dinner and making lunch for the next day as well. We have to keep our expenses down below 4k. $500 towards Disneyland and $600 towards the Alaska Marine Highway does not help matters. Oh and the almost 2K in expected gas doesn't either.
Just got done making two 2 thousand calorie survival bars. Those are high sugar, anti mold bars that will go into each of our vehicles to be used in case of emergencies.
Whew! Super sticky making those but at least now they're done.
Still have more filing to do, get rid of stuff. I have to pack my suitcase, hubby packed his side and DS's yesterday while I was getting other stuff done.
Tomorrow we empty the waterbed, take down DS's curtains and take apart his room. We have avoided his room because we've wanted him to go to sleep with a bit of "normalcy" around him at night. His life will be uncertain enough here soon.

Sigh. I keep being tossed between hurry hurry hurry and then ugggh let me take a break.
DH just said "Holy sh*t! Its 4pm!" Yeah, that's our day today..
Feel like the day has just zoomed right past us.
I finished my extra mittens for me to keep in my Jeep on Halloween night.

Can't wait to get past Wednesday. Busier times ahead.
Still here, still sober.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2k survival bars.jpg (95.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I need a 2 thousand calorie survival bar.......NOT! LOL!

Heading to the airport in the morning for my flight home. It'll be hard to say good bye to my folks, but I have to return to work. I think I've left them in pretty good shape.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

They're supposedly good just because they stay good, they don't mold and they're very nutrient dense. Honestly only time we would probably eat them if some sort of emergency happened and we were stuck. That most likely occurring on the Alaska side of things because up there you can drive for 400+ miles and not see another soul.
That means no gas stations, no other cars, no hotels nada.
We have to plan our stops carefully and always fill up anytime there is a gas station. I have a milepost now that tells us which gas stations are there at what mile marker and if they are open during this time of year.
Today we empty our waterbed so no more sleeping in our bed.
DH had a job interview on Friday evening, he keeps saying he bombed it because they asked him questions about things he's never dealt with before.
I told him don't be so hard on himself.
But that's hubby normally. We all got up early to see the solar eclipse but it seems we were like 30 minutes late. Drat.
Well must run. DH wants me to see if I can turn buttermilk powder shelf stable. I think I can. Just use a mason jar. We'll see though.
Still here, still sober.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

OMG I am sooooo tired. Legs hurt. Feet hurt. Ankles hurt. My armband says I've burnt 2200 calories and that was at 5pm.
House looks so empty and echoes everywhere. DH blew up our airbed and made it, love him. I'm making one somewhat special somewhat trying to use up what we have dinner. Pork chops slow cooked with strawberry mint preserves and pickled onions. Sounds weird but the onions compliment the strawberries really well.
Also baked butternut squash with sauteed almonds and pasta.
Told DH we needed to save some of the squash for later on this week for lunch or dinner. We're about to enter the zone of easy dinners and hotel cooking.
I think I'm going to treat myself and take a bath tonight. Uggh. My feet hurt.
I had a few sad moments tonight. Oddly enough mostly all regarding my fight through depression and alcohol abuse and my battle to climb out of it.
2 years ago today I was drinking heavily and steadfastly saying "no, I'm fine, my drinking is not a problem, blah blah blah" this after coming here that October when I felt that it was getting out of control. I think I went like one week sober and then said "f*@k it" and started drinking again because "it just felt normal"

stupid.

I'm so grateful for learning everything I have over the past few years. I'm so glad I'm going back to Alaska and this time, I'll be sober.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munch: Minutes here! What sort of acorns did y'all gather? My parents have 10,000 acorns all over the driveway where I park. And you need a kevlar helmet to walk off the porch! LOL Them suckers are little bombs hurling downwards at us.

Pond: Still staying at night with dad! I've talked and posted pictures on the HH.

TOD
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

uuhhmm, molasses, a few otc meds that the clinic here doesn't provide, basic stuff. I have a spreadsheet that I keep up with all our goodies which tells us how long we could go if we had no $$$ to spend on food. Lets just say, about a year from now we'd start to be hurting. That's if we had no garden though. We lack in some areas like vitamins but we're good in others. Today is here. Moving day...that being said, gotta run. Gotta drop off my Jeep for an oil change!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

oh ps. When I mean acorns its kind of a metaphor. Acorns=Squirrels. Ants=Grains.
What do ants do all summer long? They work on storing food away for the winter so they can survive while the grasshoppers play.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

I can't believe your big day is here! Keep in touch as best you can and be safe Hugs.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

mentally kaput, physically a bit. Armband registered 14000 plus steps, 2609 calories at 830pm or so.
Busy day telling people "yes, that gets packed, no that doesn't get packed. Here, I'll take that. blah blah blah
Everything is now more or less packed. A few little things, like the airbed we're sleeping on. Linens, sheets and blankets on the bed.
Tired.
Thankfully we had a few extra items like the new FRS/GMRS radio which doubles as an alarm clock and bedside table lamp for us AND an AM/FM radio. Its now our clock radio/alarm clock while we sleep in this temp room. Only here in this house now for tonight and tomorrow.
Tomorrow another busy day. Going through stuff, hiding some things that we forgot to have them pack up like prescription meds that we just don't want to have to worry about (and don't have the space) carrying. I went ahead and cleaned the stove today. Not completely done but better than it was. My hands are a bit raw right now from that.
We are being overrun by boxes. Boxes in hallways, boxes in corners, boxes in closets. Boxes boxes boxes. Hopefully we're within our allotted 11,000. It'll suck a bit if we're not.
I hope I sleep a bit better tonight, even though my armband read that I actually slept 8+ hours last night. Surprising because I was sooooo cold.
I woke up at 3am shivering. I got up and put my big thick robe on which helped matters a bit but still woke up shivering at 715am with ice cold feet.
Wednesday we'll be at the hotel from that point on. I look forward to it now but I know in about 2 weeks from now I will be seriously tired of hotels.

Well whatever. Still here still sober. And now I can say that I have almost finished the first part of a move SOBER Haven't done that in about 5 moves before this. (hawaii to ny I think was the last one since in Hawaii I wasn't HEAVILY drinking yet)
Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hope you're not coming down with something, with all the shivering. Is tomorrow DS's last day of school?

When I was in FL, my mom wondered if I could have a little wine with her. I said no, but what interested me is that I could care less about it now. I don't ever wish to be over confident about sobriety, but I just don't see drinking as a solution to anything.