Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 3

Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

HI ladies. Just popping in to say hello. I'm well and thanks for asking. As you know, very early days for me but putting day 9 to bed without the slightest thought of alcohol. It's 11.15pm now, i've been in bed since 7.30pm believe it or not. NO reason really, other than the appreciation I feel for bed and clean sheets when sober.......feel like I have to absorb every minute of it...........okay, so maybe i'm exaggerating slightly but when you spend practically every night falling into bed ( if you actually make it) and just passing out, having the opportunity to lie in bed and just appreciate where you are and what you have, it's pretty special.

Glad to hear your UTI has cleared up Munch, they're awful things......or so I believe, touch wood i've been so lucky to have never had one.......she says, you know what'll happen now when I wake up to go for a pee in the morning!!

Ladies, sounds like the old BP playing up with a few of us. I've just been started on meds for BP which i'm still in a bit of denial about as i'm slim, fairly fit and eat healthy most times. Seems i've got my Mum and Grandmother to thank for hypertension. Ended up being treated in ICU last month for a hypertensive crisis. I in myself felt absolutely fine but the treating clinicians weren't quite as confident as the flashing numbers flashed 250/150. Some IV antihypertensives, an overnight stay and monitoring, stroke or heart attack avoided and off I was back home. Haven't been back for a re-check but hopefully the meds will have done their job and my reading this time will be a little less alarming!

Enough of me wittering on about me! Hope you ladies are all well. Chat again soon.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

You know Munch! When ppl are talking about others and making fun of them to boot? There's usually a whole lot of jealousy underlying the TALK! I know I personally find you fascinating in all that homey stuff you do! Although there's a lot of the stuff you talk about eating that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! LOL But you GO Girl!

And if they aren't jealous of you? Then they sure are wasting a lot of their hot air on talking about somebody that has improved her life by leaps and bounds.

Don't waste your time being angry at them or even hurt over their words. I'd take a guess that with you leaving in just under a week? They sure wish they could be in your shoes.

I saw on MSN page where Alaska is cost cutting the Yearly Oil Checks they send out. That's gonna really suck for ppl that depend on that extra income in so many ways.

TOD
Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

So glad you said that about the BP/Hypertension. How you doing TOD?
I haven't checked my own BP at home lately, mostly due to the fact that when I collapse in bed, I do literally COLLAPSE in bed lately at night, thanks to this cold.

Oh forgot to mention, the last bottle of Vodka that has been in the wine cabinet now since this past spring?
Went to use to make a black walnut tincture that is good for treatment of parasites, tumors and is also used as a laxative.
Tinctures made with vodka, I've learned LONG AGO in the past are not an issue for me because they taste NASTY.
I mean seriously, YUCK.
I remember my acupuncturist (sp?) in Fairbanks sold me a tincture made from reishi mushroom. That stuff was so nasty, but surprisingly, it did work.
So anyways, I don't keep too much of that on hand.

Its okay, lifetplant, witter away!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

lifetplant: GREAT job on the 9 days! I'm sure you DO feel better now!!

I can't remember ever having a UTI, maybe once as a very young child though. Now as far as that unpleasant itch we ladies get? I do have a simple cure for that, so if you need to know the answer to that problem? Just shoot me a PM and I'll send you the answer.

Well it's 8:40 AM and I've been up since 7:30 PM yesterday evening. I'm not really sleepy, but I probably should try to get some shut eye. Because I'm sure by 8:00 PM tonight? I'll be dead on my feet. And Maria is still asleep in the BED. Jethro told me to get her up later on. She didn't get tucked into Jethro's bed until around 2:00 AM. So she's making up for lost sleep. LOL

We say "Knock on wood" here in Arkansas! LOL

TOD
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Actually TOD, this years dividend is $900. Not bad but not the best it's ever been. We aren't getting it this year but next year we will. Half of my munchkins goes into his college fund, half goes into savings.
Next year should be higher but I don't know how much.
Only negative to PFD? We don't pay taxes up front on it. We pay it at tax return time.

Yeah, I was a tad bit hurt at first but these people have been trying to hurt me for the past 3 years, and you know? The lesson I've gotten from it? I've developed a much thicker skin now.
As DH says, its all ice cream.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

My doctor's nurse just called to inform me I'm to pick up another medication to go along with my BP meds to try and get my BP down. ARGH! My readings have been all over the place. I've posted about them on the HH. The nurse told me I need to CALM down. Ha Ha Ha Ha Like I've EVER been calm a day in my life! She told me to take one of my valiums. OH HELL NO! That stuff knocks me out and I only get a few pills a year for my dentist appointments. It doesn't knock me out while in the dentist chair though. I'm wired when sitting in that chair! Talk about my BP going thru the roof? Yep! The VAH dental office doesn't use the gas, so I'm stuck dealing with the procedure. Thank God for valium!! LOL

Those people have nothing better to do than to pick on others. They'll probably do the same thing to the next person that replaces you. Just finish your time there and move on. You'll never have to deal with them again!

And BTW? I sure hope you took that award/certificate you got thru email and framed it. Then displayed it in your cubicle for all of them to see it. That would sure put a burr under their saddles. LOL

TOD
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Actually when boss "congratulated" them she sent them all the award so they've already seen it. They know who got it, just haven't said anything about it. LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Actually when boss "congratulated" them she sent them all the award so they've already seen it. They know who got it, just haven't said anything about it. LOL
That's why I would put it on the wall. It was sent to you and only you! Your boss was the "B" about it. Take the oppurtunity to enjoy your little piece of sunshine.

TOD
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Nah, too late anyways. I'm already taking things down from my workstation and putting them into a box.

Gotta a bit guys.
Uggh. So as you all can kind of guess, hubby & I have started getting in the habit of putting things away for a rainy day. Kind of like insurance but we're guaranteed to get our moneys worth later type of thing. I talk about it a tiny bit here and there.
Well from time to time I scout around local places looking for any dimes or quarters or half dollars that are 1964 or younger. They're called "junk silver" because they have some silver in them which is worth a lot more than our "fiat currency" (if you're curious look up FIAT currency. Its kind of scary though)

I sent DH on a mission to go out and see if anyone around here had any about a week ago. He came back with 3 Buffalo head nickels which have not an oz of silver in them.
He spent $8 on those. Face value? .15

At that point I just told him "stay away from the nickels unless you know exactly what to look for"
Today he goes out and once again, pays $3 for a 1941 nickel.

He did make up for himself later and went to my favorite shop, advised me he had to do a "name drop" where I have a good relationship with the shop owner, and managed to redeem himself.

Thank goodness!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Munch, It makes me mad these office morons are bad mouthing you.....poo on them I say!!!! Hope you lay a patch of rubber as you squeal out of the parking lot in , is it 5 days?!!!!

lifetplant, I love my bed Clean sheets and soft jammies are the best. In early sobriety, sometimes I would just go to bed early.....actually I still do that!

TOD, It must be aggravating to try all these different BP meds.....I just hope this one works for you!

Friday is my day off and I'm looking forward to it
Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Kind of made me mad too but then there were many things that just made me shrug and finally just accept, once again, that these people just need forgiveness.
I dislike what they do but there isn't much I can do about their attitudes and what not.
Many years down the road they may or may not realize what they were doing, how nasty they were.
Plus there is always that saying that "karma is a b*tch" & what comes around goes around.

Today, hopefully I find out about my job in Alaska. Will I get it?
It would be nice but if not, DH even pointed out, I would be able to get a much higher paying job elsewhere in Fairbanks.
Especially with all my experience.

Today, when I get off early dh and I will be doing a quick grocery shopping because this weekend will be pretty busy. I should be handing off my red wiggler worms (vermicomposting) to a friend who wants to start with them.
Then we are going to be picking apples and then making those into fruit leather.
Then on top of that we've got a massive job of housecleaning and decorating for Halloween with the smell of apples roasting filling the air in the house. After decorating we'll watch The Nightmare before Christmas, like we always do while drinking hot cocoa. Sigh.
Happy days. And all spent where I ACTUALLY REMEMBER everything! This will be my 2nd Halloween Sober!
YIPPEE!

Still here & Still sober. And so very grateful.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Whoopee guys! Just found out we are getting FREE tickets to Hershey Park next weekend!! And then I booked us at a Hyatt in PA so we don't have to drive 2 hrs each way on that one day. All with points. So a weekend away that will ALMOST be FREE!
I gotta purchase meals ahead of time and pay for parking. Nice!!!!

Oh and things are looking UGLY here at the office.
It just came to our attention by a coworker that our amount of tickets to be issused soon is dropping more and more. Its at a dismal level.
Most likely all due to government shutdown Oct 1. (not absolute yet, you know how congress is)
I could be leaving here, just at the right time.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Okay, found out Friday that I have to RESIGN here, they are posting the job NOW in Fairbanks and by the sound of it, my boss there is HOPING no one turns in a resume to fill it. Or at least no one qualified.
I'm hoping the same.
This weekend was somewhat of what I described except the smell in the air was non stop peaches.
While at first it smelled LOVELY it quickly turned annoying.
By Sunday I was decidedly TIRED of smelling like we had all been dipped in peach jam.
We made some butt kickin bhut jolokia, peach and tomato salsa which is pretty spicy but sweet.

Today I have a few things to accomplish while at work. Doesn't help that I am counter/orders/dts today. That's a never ending job.
Gotta get my sons school paperwork done in Fairbanks, gotta fill out permission slips to allow him to ride the bus from home, need to work on my resume, not that there is much to work on. About the time I was about to make the change from a drinking life to a sober one I was updating my resume trying to find another job.
Have a few forms I have to update, pretty much all admin sort of work that is easy to do while answering calls and what not.
This week I come in late (9a) but then leave at 430p.
Told hubby to PLEASE PLEASE get the last batch of peaches done. We bought a bushel of seconds peaches for $12 which we've turned into peach fruit leather (my sons first creation was star anise and cinnamon flavored peach fruit leather. TASTES YUMMOS!)
Today DH should be starting peach vanilla with an apple base. We also dehydrated about 1 full gallon mason jar of dried peach chips. Man those things taste just like candy. Yum yum. BUT. Negative to all this peach goodness.
We are being bombarded by fruit flies.
Oh and picked 43 pounds of apples too this weekend.
Well I have to get to work. Doesn't sound like a lot but it feels like I have loads to do.

Still here & still sober!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

I'm confused. You have to resign in MD to apply for the job in Fairbanks? How many days left at your current job?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Sept 27th is my last day. I don't get to our home till the 4th of December. The month of October is kind of my relax/get home stuff taken care of month. Going to get us to the gym, get appts done and get all the junk done around the house.
I guess HR doesn't like the fact that I will be on leave for that long, even though last time (coming here from Alaska) I went on leave in October and didn't end leave until February.

4 days!!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

How's your BP TOD??? Hope your doing okay.

And lifetplant, hows it going? Hope your hanging in there.

As for me, woke up this morning at 4am, coughing which then triggered a sneezing fit which now has left me with a headache. Told dh I don't want to do anything that has to do with moving today. Feel like caca. Heads all stuffy. I think this is all just allergies (ragweed) and the left over cold. Thankfully in Alaska I don't have this.
Instead I think I might just finish ds's scarf and start work on his mittens. All matching in silver, blue and black.

Well, just simply don't have much to talk about so still here, still sober.
3 more days.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I'm taking tomorrow off, as Im having work done on my pond. I'm always excited about anything to do with my pond

TOD - Hope you new BP meds are working.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Pond/Munch: BP is still all over the place! Just checked it at 2:20 AM. It reads 154/97! Headaches are more under control, so I'm very happy about that! I'm still down about the news on Dad. He goes in for a PET scan today (Wednesday). I had to explain to mom exactly what that test does. It will light up any cancer in his body - like fireworks. So if the cancer is in both lungs and in those knots he has on his stomach and back? He'll be well lit up! He's 6 ft tall and weighs 107 pounds. His back bones are protruding thru his skin. He can't hardly see or hear anymore. He's 81 years old.

I went to bed at 4:00 AM and woke up at 8:45 AM. (That was after being awake for 28 hours). I couldn't get back to sleep because I was thinking about Dad. So I got up. I finally laid back down at 1:00 PM and slept until 4:00 PM.

I think Dad has known for some time now he's not got long to live. It's tearing me up! I'm a Daddy's girl. I'm the one that's done so much with my life to make him extremely proud of me. I'm the one he calls when he needs things. Or when mom won't or can't do/get it for him.

I guess I need to go back to taking the stronger dose of clonidine in order to get some sleep. I sure don't need to go down in my own health right now. Mom is going to need me to help out with Dad when that time rolls around.

Pond: You and that Pond! LOL What is the great love you have for it?

Munch: Your time is almost UP on that job! Woot Woot! Get your crockpot out and the liquid vicks. Fill it up at night and plug it up in your bedroom. It will help you to breathe better.

We got a nice surprise in the mail the other day. Two coffee mugs from Air Force One Airplane! Not from a gift shop either!

Did you get rid of your UTI? I'm thinking once you get away from that hell hole of a job? Your health will improve. I know you said it will improve by arriving in Alaska too. So that's a good thing too!

Why do you collect all those coins out of curiosity? I have a few old coins, but I'm not a collector. When I did the waitress jobs, back in the days? Any funny money I got, half dollars, two dollar bills, etc. I'd save them. I'd give them to my daughter on her birthday and at Christmas. Her birthstone is Ruby. So for each BD and Christmas gift? I'd buy her some sort of jewlery with a Ruby stone in it. So she has a complete set now. Ring, necklace, bracelet and ear rings.

TOD
Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Very cool pond!!!

Good to hear the headache is gone TOD.
As for the coins we only collect 1964 and prior of quarters and dimes. Nickels only for certain years as usual nickels do not have silver in them.
Physical silver & gold are two things that no matter what will always have some value, our USD is very vulnerable so we collect "junk silver" here and there because no matter what it will retain value.
Our USD is what is called "fiat" which actually has a very long history of failures. A while ago the USD was backed by gold. That meant you could walk into a bank and actually change your currency from paper currency to gold and back.
In 1973 that all changed. Our USD is now only backed by confidence in that money and that is it. So lets say a few of the countries suddenly lose confidence in our ability of paying back our 16 trillion dollars of debt and they start trading more and more in the Chinese Yuan or the Euro, this causes the US to lose even more which is a slow collapse of the US Dollar. (this is happening actually as we speak, the Yuan is starting to become stronger because it is being used more in trading for oil and goods)
This is it all put rather simply, you would have to read up on it and there is a LOT to read.
Only negative to buying "junk silver" is at face value it seems like your spending an awful lot on what appears to only be $1.25.
Right now physical silver and gold have fluctuating wildly because the value of the USD is going up and down like crazy.
And here is something to chew over. Why do you think the Fed has decided to not stop the QE3 (quantative easing)?
They were supposed to stop it this month but they held back on it when the markets suddenly went bezerk like a herion addict would go bezerk over their DOC being removed.
Keep in mind QE is the Fed printing up money from no where, they are not "borrowing" this money from somewhere. They are creating massive amounts of money and then buying bonds and shares to falsely elevate the markets therefore blowing up a really nice bubble.

Okay, so I'll get off my

Yup, UTI is gone! Thank God!
I think my health will improve a bit except for during the winters in Fairbanks. The air quality gets really bad there because the cold air keeps the pollution really low in the atmosphere. All the car exhaust, the firestoves and fireplaces contribute to pretty nasty air quality during the winter.
Summer months though it all blows away.

As for the coughing and sneezing, for me that is all allergies right now, that and the fact that lately DH turns the ac down super cold which then bothers the heck out of my chest and sinuses.
As he has gained weight he has gotten constantly too hot, as I've lost weight I'm constantly too cold.
LOL

We recently received from our realtors office a box of fudge from a local bakery there in Faibanks. LOVED it! Made us super excited to move back.

TOD That is super cool about the coffee mugs!!!!

And I understand the bit about your Dad. While I talk more to my Mom than my Dad, I'm actually closer to my Dad. I think he just understood me more as a kid than my Mom did.

Well I've gone on long enough today.
Still here, still sober.

2 more days!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

TOD, I'm so very sorry your Dad is suffering. I think your stress is affecting your BP, and not sleeping will make matters worse. I'm glad you dr. is giving you something to help with your sleeping issues.

Munch, Wowser - only 2 more days Woot! I agree with TOD, that your health will improve once your job is finished.

My pond....how can I explain my love of it? I've always been attracted to water....watching the sunlight hit it....my fish are like living jewels