Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 12

Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I know Marcher!..those iPads are things of beauty. Lol! Notice how I hearted my i? That was just for Natty because I'm sure he appreciates things like that.

I've worked in the fund raising of several organizations but the actual volunteering I'm ashamed to say I've never taken the time to do. It's something that has always kind of bothered me that I haven't. I guess I have done things like helped on holidays at our homeless shelter for serving meals and I managed all the non profit work at my former employer but that's not the same as actually working directly with people. That's one thing I admire so much about my man friend. He's a mentor to young men who don't have fathers and is very active in poor communities in our city. He also is the business manager of a motivational speaker who spent 18 years in a South African prison. This man lived in the most inhumane conditions and not only survived but now lives only to share his message of setting yourself free from personal prisons. I've learned a lot from him because he has said that most people will never be in prison but they live like they do. I know I did.

I've been kind of hiding from the world. I sometimes get a little scared to get back out there. I sometimes wish I could just focus on not drinking and working on myself but I know..and my checkbook can attest to this...I have to get back out there. My confidence in my work skills is shaky since I really didn't do well at my last job and at the end resigned before they fired me. This is kind of one of my last hurdles of self esteem so I know I have to do it and I will. Just a little scared but not enough to not face it.

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm in a prison now. I feel more like someone who just been released and just has a little catching up to do. and that's ok.
I think you have a TON to offer the world professionally and otherwise. I've seen the evidence here. We've all seen it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

38 days today for me.

I just want to share today someone invited me to a party tonight and I answered with a "no and said honestly I'd rather stay at home in my pyjamas" which was the truth.

This is a good step for me because I would either a) lie and say I was sick or b) go and relapse. I live on a college campus so every party involves alcohol.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

SJD you are just two bites away from 4 bananas!! That being true to ourselves without reservation is in my opinion a big step forward. It's a really good habit to get into. I onced googled habits of strong women and that was on the list. Doing what you really want to do without feeling you need to justify it. You should feel very proud of yourself!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Morning Marchers

Welcome any newcomers if I have missed you,

Hope everyone is doing good. All good here, busy busy, putting together a 5 year plan, some normal stuff, pay bills off, save for house deposit but also some creative stuff, sign up for a drawing/painting course and start on the road to game designer.

Lots of love

AoS
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Morning all.
Well done SJD, you are right to avoid temptation, and I far prefer a night on the sofa in my pyjamas. Then I am 49, and had a youth. Don't forget to find different ways to enjoy your evenings in sober company will you??
I know nothing of college/ uni these days, do they have societies to join for sobriety? I would imagine drink and/or drugs can be a problem so a group like that seems a good idea?

AofS good to see you and to see you are focussing on a new future. Pop into the cafe sometime for a catch up with the others!

Shoes, you have plenty to offer, and if you feel the need to, improve your self esteem, some volunteer work before looking for paid work may be just the thing!

Be strong be safe be sober
Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I've been kind of hiding from the world. I sometimes get a little scared to get back out there. I sometimes wish I could just focus on not drinking and working on myself but I know..and my checkbook can attest to this...I have to get back out there. My confidence in my work skills is shaky since I really didn't do well at my last job and at the end resigned before they fired me. This is kind of one of my last hurdles of self esteem so I know I have to do it and I will. Just a little scared but not enough to not face it.

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm in a prison now. I feel more like someone who just been released and just has a little catching up to do. and that's ok.
I get that. I've had an excuse, though. The kids. But the truth is they're growing up and I was terrified to get out there. I've started slow and easy by taking on this very very part time job working out of my home. My first instinct was to turn it down but I'm so glad I didn't. Through this sobriety journey I'm learning to totally readjust my attitude and its because of that adjustment I accepted it.

You have so much to offer! And you're facing it! I know how hard that is, I really do.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Could someone please direct me to the cafe.....is that in the chat room? I can't seem to open that, keeps telling me i need to down load a java plug in?? I press ok to download and the nothing? Any IT buffs out there? I don't contribute much but missing reading the chat.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Hi Lifetplant
Under search type March Mania that should direct you to the mayhem

Mick x
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Life Plant, it's in an entirely different forum... if you go to the main page, scroll down to the 'social groups' section (we are in the Newcomers section), and the first link is to 'Café Central'. Our thread is there called 'Marcher (2013) Mania!'

Or you could just click here lol: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...013-mania.html
Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers. I did a bit of adding up today and realised I'm two days of Day 50! Who'd a thunk it?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Marcher,

I will hit day 50 on Sunday!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Marcher and BuddinK

D
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thats fantastic Marcher13

Mick x
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Congrats to you too Buddink

Mick x
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Marcher and Ken, you both are awesome! I know I overuse that word but it just fits

Sassy
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

50 is an awesome milestone Marcher and Ken! This also means you will get your AARP card in the mail.

Remember back when we wondered if it ever got better?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Morning Marchers

Congrats on the (near) 50 days, I stopped counting after my recent slip but would have been there with you on Tuesday.

Anywho things are okay here, not been sleeping so well this week, mind going over random stuff keeping me awake.

Started taking my Campral, it's beyond me how it works but apparently it does..

Can't wait for the weekend, I am now actually enjoying my life and work is getting in the way!

Have a good day
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

You too Dee
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)